Delirity discussion

Author C > The Steampunk Chronicles - K.Cross

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Oct 03, 2013 02:55AM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) by Kady Cross The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3) by Kady Cross

message 2: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I really liked this book. It reminded me of a steampunk X-Men.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
There was something fun about it. I think they're mediocre, but while you're in them, you enjoy them. Then, a month or so later, you're like what happened?
I'm 1/2 way through the second one. I need to finish it.

message 4: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I just finished the third, The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3) by Kady Cross which I liked. I like the characters in this series. The girls are all so tough! Something I would very much recommend to the girls in my library who like romance but want something with a better heroine than Bella.

The entire time I was reading this, though, I was dreading book 4. So far all of the titles have been, The girl blahety blah, but there are only two main female characters Fin and Em. Book two was about Jaspers old flame but Griff and Sam don't (not that we've been introduced to) have a female in their life that is important to them other than Em and Fin and they've already had books written. But then, we're introduced to Endeavor 312 aka Mila. And from the beginning I just absolute don't like her! I can't put my finger on why, exactly. But, I just knew from the second that she was introduced that she was who book 4 was going to center around and as the book went along it made me dread book 4 all the more. I kept hoping that maybe Kady Cross will break trend and have the next book be The man blahety blah and focus on Sams origin or more about Griffs history (I don't remember if she went into detail for either of them in previous books) or if we would finally learn more about that awesome Jack Dandy. But, nope. Its already up on her page. Book 4 is going to be about this Mila character. Who I don't like and find vaguely unsettling/creepy. Maybe I can skip over her parts of the story....?

One of the things that I like very much is that the Finley/Griffin romance is very present in each book. The Wicked Lovely Series whatsherface had the first book about Aislinn/Seth/whatever the faery king of Summers name was and then the 2nd be about the winter court with no warning. I (and I'm assuming others) came back for book 2 not because I was so enthralled with the faery backdrop/kingdom that she had created but for Aislinn/Seth/Kennan!(thats his name. Or something similar). And then book 3 was back to the triangle so every other book was about them. As a reader it was annoying, to me, because I didn't think the world was strong enough/well written enough to warrant so much time away from (to me) the main plot--the relationship between Aislinn and Seth. Maybe she realized that Aislinn/Seth wouldn't be enough to carry an entire series....? Anyway what I like about The Steampunk Chronicles is that Fin/Griff may not be enough to carry an entire series but their not tossed aside so you're left wondering whats become of them book after book. So far, and I hope she keeps it going, no matter what the A plot of the book is--whoever is directly being effected by the mystery--Griff/Fin are a strong B plot. Which I like. She doesn't have to push them further than they are ready to go to fill up pages and she doesn't have to create any more drama than necessary for them because they aren't the main story but you still get their story. I hope that she manages to do that in the next book for Emily and Sam. Which would mean telling three stories (even though I only want to read 2 of them since I actively dislike Mila. But, we may learn more about Jack Dandy...)

One thing I absolutely DID.NOT.LIKE was how she just wrote Jasper out of the book. Fin and Griff walk into the room and we're told that Jasper went off on an adventure with Cat. And its mentioned briefly again later on that he's off on an adventure and again that he's just returned from an adventure.

I also didn't like how repetitive certain scenes were. Like when Em is being held hostage and she looks at the body in floating in the vat of goop. Each time she enters the room the way Kady describes her taking in the scene she always sounds astonished that the organites aren't able to repair the body and that all of their efforts are to keep the brain alive. I don't remember the wording she used but she used the same wording/maybe even the same sentence every.single.time so every time Emily saw it, it evoked the feeling of her seeing it for the first time when it clearly was not the case.

Anyway! I'm rambling so I'll just say: I liked it. I like the characters. I'm not looking forward to book 4, except maybe a little for the Jack Dandy of it all and to see how Finn/Griff and Emily/Sam are doing.