NaNoWriMo 2013 discussion

Novels > Fonts, Fonts, and more Fonts!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (emnor) Last year I had a long discussion with a couple of my friends over what font size to use..... Waste of time? I think not.

I write on Microsoft Word usually, and I like to keep my novel multiple space and size 14 font. And I like Cambria for font shape :D

So..... How about you guys?

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylareads) I use Word, and write in Times New Roman, size 11, 1.5 line spacing.

message 3: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Cambria with 11 font. I can see it pretty easily. I'll probably change it to 12 eventually, so it's easier but not right now.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (emnor) I ADORE Cambria. <3

message 5: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 267 comments Mod
I'm using Camria Math size 14. It's my favorite font!

message 6: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (running2track) | 63 comments Mod
I like Times New Roman (Yes, I'm boring) Size 12 (I told you) and single spacing (for lines).

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (emnor) Wow, Rhiannon, that seems.... Hard on the eyes ;D I used Cambria size 14 last year too, and when I printed out the first chapter and showed it to my mom, she said "I keep losing my place going from line ot line. You should double space it." And I was like.... That's all the constructive criticism you have? Change the spacing? Oh... Kay....

message 8: by Janeen-san (new)

lol...

message 9: by Farrah (new)

Farrah I am the standard Times New Roman, size 11 font, single spaced. Although for my writing group submissions, as not to blind them I usually go to size 12 font double spaced.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nocturne_13) Calibri size 12, 1.15 spacing. Just single spacing makes the text just look like a big block to me.

message 11: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Excuse me, when I said Cambria, I ment Calibri!

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma (emnor) Awwww... *in small voice* cambria's better.... *acts like she didn't say anything*

message 13: by Janeen-san (new)

:P

message 14: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (running2track) | 63 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Wow, Rhiannon, that seems.... Hard on the eyes ;D I used Cambria size 14 last year too, and when I printed out the first chapter and showed it to my mom, she said "I keep losing my place going from..."

Yeah. All my homework is also done in Times New Roman, 12 pt, single spaced. My teacher's kinda annoying...and assigns waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much homework. So .... that would be my revenge on him.

message 15: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) hehe

message 16: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) I like Cambria too, I just don't use it so often. ^^

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emnor) It's okay :D I really don't have anything against Times New Roman, or Calibri, I just like cambria the best. And also, when I was in 6th grade, my LA teacher forced us to always use Times, 12 point, double spaced. And nobody liked her. So, I guess there's another reason why I never use it....

message 18: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) lol, I really don't like Times. I see it all the time and it gets old. I like new things better! My English makes us do that same format and I really hate it because I normally do single space and my usual Calibri. It annoys me completely.

message 19: by Janeen-san (new)

Lol, yeah Times is overused and I used to use it all the time but I don't now :P

message 20: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) ^^ me neither!

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma (emnor) I changed my font size to 12, because all my friends asked what font size I had, and when I told them 14, they all said "wow.. that's pretty big..."
But now I'm sad, because before my novel was 90 pages, and now it's only 68....

message 22: by Janeen-san (new)

Change it back to size 14! That's what I use; its not that big. Do what is right for YOU, not what your friends think!
As for the page number, sometimes that bugs me a little too. But as my loving mom constantly reminds me, "It's all about the STORY!" Pages don't count :P

message 23: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) :D She's totally right then, though they bug me too. I'm only in the 80s because my document is single spaced now. :(

Any strange suggestions I can use for my story? I've completely run out of steam and I really don't want to right an incredibly long epilogue just to reach my word count.

message 24: by Janeen-san (last edited Nov 28, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Well, what is your story about? And I agree with you about reaching the word count; adding unnecessary stuff JUST to reach it would be horrible. But if you tell me about your story a bit, I'd love to give you ideas!! :D

message 25: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) My epilogue turned out great!

message 26: by Janeen-san (new)

That's fantastic!!!! :)

message 27: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) I am Century Gothic, size 12 double space for my noveling.

For school work Century Gothic size 11 1.75 space.

I only type in it unless required to do a certain font.

I DESPISE CALIBRI AND TIMES NEW ROMAN!

message 28: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) lol

message 29: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) Zaira (Allisa) wrote: "lol"

They are ugly. CENTURY GOTHIC IS BEAUTFUL and professional at the same time. It is also a little bubbly like my personal handwriting. And I type everything, so its only appropriate that it looks like my handwriting!

message 30: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) *beautiful

message 31: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) hehe, that's awesome! I don't normally pay attention to my style of type, as long as what is typed is beautiful!

message 32: by Lefty (last edited Dec 14, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Lefty (iudiekarie) | 1 comments I went back and forth. I wanted something more professional than something you can get in a Word package, so I did a little digging and fell in love with Aldine721. I think it is beautiful and very book-like. I love its capital "M"--It may be my favorite type character.

message 33: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Oh! I'll have to look at it!

message 34: by Janeen-san (new)

Never tried that one before... 0_o

message 35: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Me neither.

message 36: by Janeen-san (new)

Its funny; I look at this groups topics, trying to find something, and no one's commented since November, and then suddenly you show up! I thought this group was completely dead lol

message 37: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) ^^ We have two months left!

message 38: by Naomi (last edited Sep 12, 2012 05:03AM) (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) I like Verdana 12. I use it for everything. Century Gothic is nice, maybe I'll try that in November. I don't have Calibri or Cambria in Pages (Mac).

message 39: by Allisa (new)

Allisa White (allisawhite) Ah

message 40: by Janeen-san (new)

I LOVE CAMBRIA MATH. IT IS MY FRIENDLY FRIEND =)