Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Sunday nights...

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I could have sworn we had a Sunday night thread, but someone more talented at thread finding (LG!) will have to find it for me.

What are Sunday nights like for you?

I just took a shower and I'm making simple rice and vegetables for dinner. I like mellow Sunday nights. I don't want to leave the house. I want to relax, clear my head, and get ready for the week. I know those of you who don't work M-F have different rhythms, but I want to be in bed early with the next day's clothes set, my lunch made, and my mind cleared.

You?

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb Old thread:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

I don't do too much Sunday in general. Sunday night is pretty much the same as any other school night; get the kid in bed, tidy up where necessary and relax until bed. I read, poke around on the internet, watch some tv, or knit.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yay! Good fine, Barb.

Of course, one son has soccer practice tonight and the other needs a ride home from play practice. So I have to leave the house anyway.

message 4: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Sunday night, when I’m not working, is laundry night. It’s the night I change all the bedding... nothing better than fresh sheets to start your week. I usually take the dog for a long walk while the kid is in the tub but other than that, pretty relaxed.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I almost always do laundry on Sundays, too. Folding laundry calms me.

message 6: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Football, grocery store, cooking, phone calls/visits to family, more football :)

message 7: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I find doing laundry very relaxing. I also enjoy going to the laundromat from time to time, even though I have a washer and dryer. The people watching is excellent in the laundromat.

I do a lot of cooking on Sundays too. I like to cook a few things for during the week.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Helena wrote: "I find doing laundry very relaxing. I also enjoy going to the laundromat from time to time, even though I have a washer and dryer. The people watching is excellent in the laundromat.

I do a lot o..."

Yes. I agree. I bake on Sundays more than any other day, too. And I used to go to laundromats on Saturday nights in college because 1) I was a loser, and 2) they were calming.

Helena and I can never live together because we'd fight over the kitchen and washer/dryer on Sundays.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb I was planning to do up a few batches of soup today, and get it jarred and in the fridge for next week ... but being hungover most of the day altered that plan.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm sure it was worth it, Barb:)

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb Good times ... Good times.

message 12: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments It’s ok RA. I don’t bake at all- you can have the oven and I’ll stick to the stove top. I’ll go to the laundromat on Sundays. No biggie, I like it there anyway. Is it weird that although I have two cars I ride my bike to the laundromat?

Poor Barb. Hangovers suck, but at least it was on lazy Sunday.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Is it weird that although I have two cars I ride my bike to the laundromat?

How do you carry the laundry?

message 14: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments In a big knapsack. I usually only bring comforters and things like that.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments We have my wife's sister & husband here, with their 44 year old severely retarded son. Tonight I did a BBQ and right now they're all huddled around the food getting their plates filled up. I'll eat from whatever is left.

The rest of the night will be spent trying to find a quiet spot.

message 16: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Tonight I'm working, but I only have to work on a Sunday about once every two months. Typically, I'm cooking up a big pot or casserole dish of something I can parcel out for a few days during the week (this week I did that on Friday since it was my day off), doing laundry, reading a book, maybe playing a video game or watching a DVD or move on Netflix. For the past few weeks I've been watching Once Upon A Time, then switching over to a movie. I won't get home until a little after 10 pm tonight, at which time I'll probably throw a load of laundry in the wash, make some egg salad for lunch tomorrow and maybe playing a little Assassin's Creed or watching an episode or two of Being Human on Netflix. A lot of Sunday seems to be spent preparing for Monday, although I like to get in as much relaxation as I can.

message 17: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sunday is the day I go visit my mom and my grandma, and then in the evening I do laundry. Tonight I decided not to do chores so we're sitting around playing Mortal Kombat.

message 18: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Mine sucked. I finally got work. But, I got yelled at for doing homework and not cleaning the house. Then, my boyfriend got mad at me. He's been nagging me for 3 days straight about something stupid. If I did that, he'd have gone insane.

How do you tell a person with anger issues that they have anger issues? lol.

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb "Simmer down"? Maybe not.

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise On Sunday mornings I go to my yoga class, during the afternoon we might go see some friends or have some over.
If not, we'll take the kids and the dogs for a long walk and have coffee somewhere nice.
I spend the evening tidying up, as our cleaning lady comes Monday morning, and then I'll go online, read or watch tv.
Sunday nights I usually have trouble sleeping... That's really annoying.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24072 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "I spend the evening tidying up, as our cleaning lady comes Monday morning"

Ha.

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise what?! :-) it takes longer to clean the house than to remove toys, laundry etc from the floors :-)

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Louise wrote: "On Sunday mornings I go to my yoga class, during the afternoon we might go see some friends or have some over.
If not, we'll take the kids and the dogs for a long walk and have coffee somewhere nic..."

My friend Corey has said he has trouble sleeping on Sunday nights, too. He gets that dread feeling for the end of the weekend.

Today I've very much forced myself to sit around. I don't do this enough on Sundays.

message 24: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I was in a pattern for a long time in which I'd get so worn out during the week that I pretty much slept the weekends away, then I wouldn't be able to sleep Sunday night because I slept too late or took a nap during the day on Sunday, then I'd drag into the office on Monday, inhale coffee, and start the whole pattern all over again. I can't recall how or when I broke that cycle, but I do tend to sleep better on Sundays now, or at least it's not a guarantee I wouldn't sleep the way it was in the past.

message 25: by Barb (new)

Barb I had a very lazy day today - other than a bit of tidying up and making dinner. The kid has a day off tomorrow, so she's still up and kicking around. For the last while, I've been researching projects to make as Christmas gifts and watching Mary Poppins.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sunday is usually a day of laziness and relaxation for me, except when I was in high school and I'd leave most of my homework for Sunday night and then be miserable.

There's still something less pleasant about a Sunday night than a Friday or Saturday night, because you're facing Monday.

message 27: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments There's still something less pleasant about a Sunday night than a Friday or Saturday night, because you're facing Monday.

Sunday nights are full of anxiety for me. I try to relax, but all I can think about is how much I don't want to go to work in the morning. The stress has gotten to the point that I wake up Sunday morning thinking about my to-do list at work and what I may or may not have forgotten.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I kind of have to force myself to relax. But forcing yourself to relax can be counter-productive in a hurry, so I breathe and read and stay mindful as much as I can without causing more stress.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Stress? What's that?

message 30: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 38 comments Sundays are usually, hopefully, a quiet day to get errands done or spend time with family or friends.

Lots of laundry gets done on Sundays, lunches made for the next day for both of us, and then bath/shower for the kid. I usually like be upstairs/approaching bedtime by 8 for reading/tv time.

message 31: by Cyril (new)

Cyril When I'm not working, Sunday ends around noon for me and pre-Monday begins.

message 32: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Every item of laundry in my house has been done... I even had time to run the washer on a cleaning cycle, so my WHOLE LAUNDRY area is spotless.

Feels pretty damn good.

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise Way to go Kristina :-)

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Washers have a cleaning cycle?

Who knew?

message 35: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Louise wrote: "Way to go Kristina :-)"
Thanks Louise!

Phil wrote: "Washers have a cleaning cycle?

Who knew?"

The front loaders (sounds dirty) can get a weird residue in their drum. You add some special detergent and let it go to town. :)

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
It is important to do.

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Yoiks! We've had our front-loader for six years and have never done that.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (last edited Nov 28, 2011 10:33AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Everyone, listen up and do as I say:

::do not sniff the Utahonian's washer::

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

First I've heard of a cleaning cycle too. My mother had a self-cleaning oven and we regretted using it, the one time. Apparently it just heats up so hot it destroys every particle of everything in the oven. The smell is not pleasant.

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments The problem with Sunday night is that it has Monday's morning breath all over it.

We send the kids into the other room and watch Dexter. It helps ease the pain.

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Dexter pain?

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments Watching other people get murdered makes Monday seem less threatening. Monday doesn't carry a knife. It just feels like it does.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Indeed it does sometimes.

message 44: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Sundays I wash sheets and towels; clothes if I feel the urge. Then I laze about most of the day. Then I have a hard time getting to sleep because I'm thinking about the workweek and somewhat dreading it. Which is silly, because I have a great job and work with some fantastic individuals, but I still don't want to go.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.