Teen Writers discussion

Advice from Mary Ting - Author of Crossroads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here you can ask Mary Ting, author of Crossroads, any questions you would like whether it's about her recent novel or writing! :)

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex So...do I just type the question? I'm going to do that anyway.

How do you come up with an idea and stick with it?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. You write the question, I email Mary Ting and she emails me her response. :)

Hello Alex,

How do you come up with an idea and stick with it?

Ideas can come from anywhere...meaning... a dream, an experience, someone you love, or even a topic that you love to talk about.

An example:
Writing Crossroads was a way for me to heal the loss of my grandmother. Also, chapter one and two are based on my dreams I had in high school. So the combination of both, Crossroads was written.

Once you have an idea, I suggested you make a graph. Who are your characters? Describe them. What do you want to reveal in each chapters? How do you want it to end? Will your novel be a sequel?

I also suggest you have friends read your story...someone who will give you critical editoral advice. You need feedback :)

Writing a novel is not easy. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work. You will be rereading, reediting and rewriting many times; however, once you complete one...it's the best feeling ever!!!

I believe anyone can. You just need to believe that you can.

message 4: by Alodnza (new)

Alodnza María | 25 comments I have english as second language so when i want to write stories I don't kow nsayings that are n ormal for english speakers but not for me, how can i get my writings more normal or natural??????

message 5: by McKenna (new)

McKenna When I'm writing I wing it. I don't know what's going to happen next I decide while I write. I have heard that published authors plan out their whole story/series before they write it and I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any advice?

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Ting (maryting) | 3 comments Alodnza,

Having English as second language can be a struggle; however,if the publisher thinks your story is worth the time and effort, they may decide to sign you up. Though many do want an almost perfect draft when you summit. One way that can help you is by reading more English novels. Do not read for pleasure, but more for sample writing. Hope this helps :)

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Ting (maryting) | 3 comments McKenna,

In some ways I wing it too, but that can be a problem. You may end up rewriting and waste time. Start off with one book at a time. For example, book one.... what is your beginning, middle and end. You can have a general outline and then fill the rest in. Hope this helps :)

message 8: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Thanks:)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

How long is the publishing process and what do you do to lead up to it?

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Ting (maryting) | 3 comments First, you need to figure out if you want to look for an agent and you are willing to wait and get rejections...not to put you down, but most authors receive many rejections. Or do you want to self publish? Depending which route you want to take makes a difference on how long.