Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Crusading to bring back the Sunday nap

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Is it just me, or do you miss the Sunday nap more often than you'd like? I used to take a Sunday nap almost every Sunday -- some times I would just lie on the bed and read. But it was nice to feel I had no other obligations. Now, I never nap unless I'm sick. How about you? Are you a napper on Sunday or not?

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Im not a napper. I know alot will have a nap but just doesn't work for me.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Well.... Sunday nap sometimes has different meanings :-)

and sometimes we take one

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Only if needed, but then I've never been a Sunday napper. Janet, is this traditional, like the big family dinners that used to happen on Sundays?

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

Too true, Judy :)))

You know, Christine, I think it is traditional and a throw-back to an earlier time. I know, growing up on the farm, that having a day of rest was a big deal (and people needed it after doing so much physical work all week).

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments That makes a lot of sense. And after the big Sunday dinner, a nap is probably unavoidable. I certainly get sleepy after big meals.

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

Thinking back, I remember at the small country church where I attended (and my parents still go) all of the men were farmers and they used to say that it did no good to work on Sunday. Invariably, if someone felt stressed and tried to farm on that day, equipment would break down and everything would go wrong. At least, that's the way it seemed to the men.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments And that stressed farmer would be even more stressed come Monday! Great lesson!

message 9: by JanetTronstad (new)

You're right, Christine -- plus, in farm country, the farmers spend half their time looking at each other's fields so they know what's happening where --

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I like taking naps! I typically end up waking up between 6 & 7 every morning including Sat and Sun. So there are times that I just have to lay down in the afternoon.

message 11: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Hey, sounds good to me. I could use a nap! : )

message 12: by JanetTronstad (new)

I was going to take a nap, but then a friend called and we went to Starbucks and talked for a couple of hours. Strange, no matter how tired I am, talking with a friend always wakes me up! Or maybe it was the tea I drank.

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments speaking of not napping i could use a nap about now too.

message 14: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I used to take a nap when our church was at nine, but one o clock takes my nap time away! Seriously nothing better than a good Sunday nap though! :)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I always take one! lol...had an hour and a half nap today before choir practice!

message 16: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Nice Jennifer! Jealous! ;)

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments :D It was nice! Student teaching exhausts me! Saturday was the first day I got to sleep in in a long time.

message 18: by Melody (last edited Nov 13, 2011 09:35PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I bet it does, you totally deserve the naptime!!!

message 19: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I dont think you would call it a nap but sometimes if I am reading around 5-6pm, I get so sleepy and at times have been known to wake up with a start as the book falls to the floor from my fingers, I remember My mom doing that, Ohhh I think I must be getting old.

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

LOL, Paula --Yes, I call that a nap. Anytime the eyes close.

message 21: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I nap every day. What's the use of being self-employed if I can lie down every day?
I really need one today too. I lost a few hours sleep early in the morning and I have to help in the nursery tonight at church. Need that nap!

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Paula thats a nano nap.
they actually say a nano nap of about 20 mins is good for us.

message 23: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I doubt that I sleep long or the book would fall quicker, had not heard that phrase "Nano nap" before. I have heard that small naps are Good for you.

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I guess another name is power nap.

message 25: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 14, 2011 03:40PM) (new)

Kathleen | 1 comments I try to get my 3 year old nephew to nap, it doesn't happen often, he was almost out today when he decided to get up. Of course. ;)

LOL this is Melody. I was signed on to my Mom's account. She became the 450th member of our group. :)

message 26: by JanetTronstad (new)

Melody -- I was just thinking that it sounded like you when you said it was!!! Glad your Mom joined with us -- I know she knows we've been praying for her.

message 27: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Hehe, I can impersonate my Mom very well, for I know how she talks, but I wasn't trying then. :) I'll have to see if I can get my Mom to stop in occasionally. She loves you all. :)

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 305 comments Sometimes I take naps..sometimes not on Sundays.. =)
today I took a nap for about a hour. =)

message 29: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbygaines) | 24 comments I simply can't nap - unless I stayed up all night on a deadline :) . My hubby used to when the kids were younger, but either they're not so tiring now, or we're too anxious to nap!

message 30: by JanetTronstad (new)

That's true, Abby -- one needs to be relaxed to take a nap (generally).

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy (sweetpeajudy) I can't take naps. I'd be up all night! My hubby on the other hand can nap for several hours on Sunday afternoons and still be able to sleep. I'm jealous!!

message 32: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I can't sleep late if I nap Judy or else I cannot go to bed, and I have problems with that as it is! I am such a night owl by nature! :)

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I need one right now, but I have to go help out with Awanas tonight at church, and i have choir practice. Can't skip out on either one! lol