Islam discussion

are you a real muslim?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mona (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

mona  | 14 comments Spiritual maturity isn’t measured by how long you’ve been a muslim, or how much you know, or how often you go to mosque. Spiritual maturity is measured by the way you treat other people. It’s measured by the love you allow to operate in you. That means, when we are walking in love, we treat other people with courtesy and respect. Are you courteous to other people? Are you kind to the person at the check-out counter that may be moving too slowly for you? Are you gentle when you are driving down the highway and someone cuts you off? Are you patient with your family and coworkers? These are all characteristics of love. It is kind. It does not envy; it is not proud. It is not rude. Love is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrong. Love never fails. Notice that these characteristics don’t have anything to do with feelings. Love is a choice. You can choose to walk in love toward people even when you don’t feel like it! Make the choice to do what is right. Choose today to show kindness and be courteous to others. Look for ways to cultivate the greatest thing in your life—love! As you do, you’ll move forward into the life of blessing God has in store for you!

message 2: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Femmy | 120 comments I agree. In Islam we are taught that there are two kinds of relationship:

- habluminallah - relationship with Allah
- habluminannaas - relationship with other people

and that these two relationship are equally important. So Islam is never only about prayer or worship that only benefits oneself. Islam is also about interacting well with other people.

The Prophet s.a.w. said, "There is a charity (sadaqah) to be given for every joint of the human body (as a sign of gratitude to Allah) every day the sun rises. To judge justly between two persons is regarded as sadaqah; and to help a man concerning his riding animal, by helping him to mount it or by lifting his luggage on to it, is also regarded as sadaqah; and (saying) a good word is also sadaqah; and every step taken on one's way to offer the compulsory prayer (in the mosque) is also sadaqah; and to remove a harmful thing from the way is also sadaqah.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Here's a good article on this: http://www.islamonline.net/english/in...

message 3: by HoMa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

HoMa Me | 1 comments who is the muslim from your point of view?

message 4: by Morteza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Morteza | 24 comments From my point of view, the idea of being a real muslim is just something stupid and even false. because, at first we are not able to understand who and how makes the correct choice in accordance with Qur'an's sayings or who makes his decisions correctly just by, again Qur'an. but somehow we can define a real muslim just by expressing his charecteristics from Qur'an, for instance our friend had mentioned some of them here. such as: to say your prayers(the simplest one), or to be kind or to do the right things and so on. this is the way we try to recognize a real muslim, but on the other hand, we dont know how to operate all of these rulse in every single situations, which has its own certain conditions and even thinking about exposing to any of them is obviously Impossible.
let me to show u my idea by some mathematics simple rules or better to say, with math logic:
reaching a real and idealistic muslim is an extreme. lim (your definition about a real muslim) x-->(your deeds(also extreme))=Muslim.
This equation says, in our life we are always trying to get that value and that would be our aim. Also I can paraphrase it in this way to u: we can never be a real muslim.
At the end, I just know that, whatever i've just told u about a real muslim from math point of view, is not completely correct, but correct. I dont know maybe it differs in Fuzzy logic. who knows?! now I myself cant understand whats correct? so that equation might be completely true.
I hope you could understand this text :)

M.N

message 5: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Femmy | 120 comments I guess what you're saying is that nobody's perfect :)

message 6: by Morteza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Morteza | 24 comments thats it, but with some diffrent things, I mean it should be expresed in another way. but no diffrence.
and one of the main point of that text is, understanding a true way in our life, sometimes is really difficult, and even sometimes impossible. if it possibly could be, who we are? something should differ with profit or other personalities.

message 7: by darussalam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

darussalam | 2 comments I think all I need is just try.
try to be a good muslim in every situasion, belive in Qur'an, living a good life the way the prophet of muhammad as good as I can. ...maybe I can never be a real moslem untill I die, but at lease i've try and that makes my life more meaningful and that's all that matter.
Am I a real moslem or not? I don't know...only Allah can decide.

message 8: by mona (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

mona  | 14 comments i agree with you darussalam.and i also belive islam which is the last and perfect holy religion from god,has structure for evey particle of our life..and when we have the intention and we are determined to do what god and prophet mohamad asked us,we are walking in the correct way....and that`s all s real muslim should do...and never forget that god is merciful ....more than we can even emagine...and god wants us to excell according to our abilities.
لا یکلف الله نفسا الا وسعها

message 9: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Darussalam, I think you make some good points, and I agree.

Firstly, if there's anyone who can be called a real muslim, it is the Prophet Muhammad SAW. So if we want to be a real muslim, we should all strive to emulate him.

Secondly, the journey is as important as the destination. Perhaps it is impossible to be a real muslim every second of our lives, but it is not impossible to try. And in Islam, our efforts are recognized and rewarded, not just the results. The intention is as important as the deed.

Ibn Abbas, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, related from his Lord (glorified and exalted be He):

"Verily Allah has recorded the good deeds and the evil deeds." Then he clarified that: "Whosoever intends to do a good deed but does not do it, Allah records it with Himself as a complete good deed; but if he intends it and does it, Allah records it with Himself as ten good deeds, up to seven hundred times, or more than that. But if he intends to do an evil deed and does not do it, Allah records it with Himself as a complete good deed; but if he intends it and does it, Allah records it down as one single evil deed."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadith3...

message 10: by Evi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Evi  Mahasti (womaninthewoodenmask) | 1 comments I agree with Mona ; " Spiritual maturity isn’t measured by how long you’ve been a muslim, or how much you know, or how often you go to mosque etc ". My late mother was not practising as being a moslem for many years till her age of 55 or so but she's a real person at heart in many ways. She didnt even able to read qur'an well till her last time that's because of her family background.She knew Islam so little but she did her best. She passed away at her age of 71. Her body was so light when passed away and that's one of few things that I understand she's blessed person in islam and she passed away easily. I learnt from it that the most important thing as a person or a muslim is how you take life the way it is with grateful that of course would be better if you also practising at the same time. But the matter is in heart.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Hi there Nima.

5 wives? Which religion is that?

Rafezi is not relevent to the topic at hand, so it better that we stick to the topic.

Real muslim?

Interesting but rather unfruitful subject matter, if the topic was renamed 'How to be a real muslim', it would have been mmore benefical as there are so many practising and knowledgeble muslims in our group...we could have all benefitted form one another.