History, Medicine, and Science: Nonfiction and Fiction discussion

Surgeon's Mate (Patricia McPherson Nautical Adventures, #2)
This topic is about Surgeon's Mate
Discussion Topics > Sea Sick: Shipboard medicine during the Age of Sail.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 5 comments "Being in a ship is like being in a jail with the chance of being drowned." -- Samuel Johnson

From scurvy to shipboard fever,from amputations to childbirh to bladder stones and beyond -- join me in discussing the challenges of medical, surgical,and nursing interventions aboard a tossing ship in the middle of the ocean during an era where anesthesia and antibiotics were yet unknown. The discussion will include works by many authors, not just my own.

message 2: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda | 5 comments My years of experience in Emergency and Critical Care nursing prompted my interest in medical and surgical techniques as well as nursing care in former ages. Combined with my shipboard experience, I became fascinated with healthcare at sea during the Age of Sail.

message 3: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Ambrose (ecambrose) | 2 comments Have you seen the book Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose (Archaeology of the Mary Rose) this is a huge compendium of information from the Renaissance shipwreck, but includes a nice chapter about the Barber surgeon's chest with details of all the stuff inside.