Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies. discussion

5 Vampires Who Need A Holy Water Baptism

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Thanks Greg, been looking for that link ;-)

message 2: by C.V., Scary Carrie (last edited Nov 24, 2011 12:29AM) (new)

C.V. Hunt (cvhunt) | 71 comments Mod
I feel your pain.

I received a review stating that my characters were cruel, and that Jason's (werewolf) eating habits were disgusting. ???

It's okay for Verloren (vampire) to drink all of the blood from a human, forcing him to kill them, since only human blood will sustain him,(No animal blood crap) but Jason consuming all of the remains is disgusting?

I don't quite see the difference there. If anything, wouldn't the vampire's diet be more disgusting, after all, he did kill the human without remorse.

I love how people dislike my book because the monsters are just that - monsters. My monsters have a total lack of respect for human life. Or better yet, because my story has more than just vampires in it, they refuse to finish reading it. The apex predictor is now the teddy bear. *palmface*

It makes it hard for me to write horror, with drops of sentiments in it, when people have taken on a different perspective of what a monster is.

In another words - How can you get mad at me for writing about vampires that kill humans? THEY ARE VAMPIRES! It's what they do. They kill. They are walking, talking, sociopaths. Nothing more, nothing less.

message 3: by Bennie (new)

Bennie (lochinvar45) | 11 comments I've ran into the some of the same things concerning werewolves.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (zephyrsong) C.V. wrote: "I feel your pain.

I received a review stating that my characters were cruel, and that Jason's (werewolf) eating habits were disgusting. ???

It's okay for Verloren (vampire) to drink all of the ..."

So I need to know what this books title is, cause it sounds so refreshing to me.

I hate that vampires have turned into these sappy things that swoon at just seeing a human woman. They should only be swooning because they want to kill her and drink her blood. . .not cause they want to date her. Same goes with all those werewolves out there.

message 5: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) Good read. I'm very much a fan of werewolves and vampires (so long as the vamps don't get all sparkly in sunlight).

These creatures are traditional monsters, and regardless of their back story they need to remain monsters.

I am a big fan of gothic horror, which is why I have just finished re-working Carmilla by J.S. Le Fanu. With a re-imagined plotline, and the introduction of new characters, I hope that Carmilla - The Wolves of Styria, will bring pleasure to people who enjoy old style monster stories.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

message 6: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 31 comments Love the link, Greg, although I have to admit that a couple of my vamps (though not all - explained later in the book) can go out during the day just not in direct sunlight as this will kill them (think overcast days) but they do kill humans, often in pretty sadistic ways as far as the female is concerned!
I can't stand veggie vamps either - vampires are monsters, end of.
Im loving the sound of all the books mentioned here...im feeling a bit overrun with all the touchy feelly "vampire/werewolves" novels out there! will definately look them up! :D

message 7: by Dan, Desecrated Dan (last edited Feb 06, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 75 comments Mod
Good article, Greg. Very funny. I share your frustration because you are obviously partly talking about what The Twilight Saga has done to the image of the vampire. It's turned them into sissies that aren't even remotley scary anymore. However I have to disagree with you about "The Day-walker" and "The Feral Vampire". I am a big fan of Blade and 30 Days of Night.

Good article though. I love the picture that goes along with it. By the way, someone in another group I belong to on GR reviewed your book a while back and it's been sitting on my tbr shelf for quite some time. Look foward to reading it.

message 8: by Lamprini (new)

Lamprini | 18 comments thank god someone fan of gothic horror. i was very glad david that you liked carmilla but why don' t you try something more horror and atmospheric like varney or the mysterious stranger or even WAKE NOT THE DEAD
by
Johann Ludwig Tieck
? trust me and you will very much enjoy them.David wrote: "Good read. I'm very much a fan of werewolves and vampires (so long as the vamps don't get all sparkly in sunlight).

These creatures are traditional monsters, and regardless of their back story the..."

message 9: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) Lamprini wrote: "thank god someone fan of gothic horror. i was very glad david that you liked carmilla but why don' t you try something more horror and atmospheric like varney or the mysterious stranger or even WAK..."

Hi, Lamprini. I'm a big fan of Varney and The Mysterious Stranger too. I feel the Fiend of Klatka may possibly have been partial model for Stoker's Dracula.
I love the poem Christabel, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. You have probably read it, but if you haven't then you should check it out.
Don't know anything about Wake Not The Dead, but it is now on my to do list.

message 10: by Lamprini (new)

Lamprini | 18 comments to tell you the truth i think that stoker only wrote draculla after having read the mysterious stranger and the land beyond the forest. besideds in his novel says that transilvania is a land beyond the forest and you can see that the mysterious stranger is an early count dracula.i have also read cristabel and please do read the novel of Johann Ludwig Tieck. there are so many early vampire novels that you could not even imagine.
if you can not find it tell me so and i will send it to your mail. see in my wall what i have read.nice talking with you.

message 11: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) Yes, nice talking with you, too. And I agree with your comments re Stoker. I will check out JLT's novel. Thanks.

message 12: by Dan, Desecrated Dan (new)

Lamprini wrote: "to tell you the truth i think that stoker only wrote draculla after having read the mysterious stranger and the land beyond the forest. besideds in his novel says that transilvania is a land beyond..."

Yes, Stoker read those for Dracula. He also used Curious Myths of The Middle Ages, The Book of Werewolves, The Origin of Primative Suertitions, and . For Gothic Horror he used a number of novels such as Mille et un Fantommes (A Thousand and One Ghosts) by Alexander Dumas, and by Jules Verne. He ues a shit load of books,stories, articles, etc. for his research. His major influence though seems to be Carmilla. I am going by the term paper I wrote on Bram Stoker in college here. LOL.

message 13: by Lamprini (new)

Lamprini | 18 comments Lamprini wrote:hi dan, i don't think that carmilla has something to do with dracula(well only it's lesbian part).on the other hand the mysterious stranger is indeed an early one and what is more stoker did not need dumas' novel since he and everybody else had as cornerstone father's Augustin Calmet, "Treaty on the Apparitions of spirits and Vampires, or ghosts of Hungary, Moravia, & c.", published in 1751 which means years after dumas .As far as vern is concerned, well he had everything he needed in the novel "the land beyond the forest" by Emilly Gerard.

message 14: by Dan, Desecrated Dan (last edited Feb 09, 2013 10:50AM) (new)

When I wrote that paper, I primarily used a chapter in the book Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and His Times called "Stoker's Count Dracula, The Vampire". It was written by Radu R. Florescu and Raymond T. McNally, they were considered to be Dracula experts. Those were just a few of the books that are listed in there that it says Stoker used. That one book you mentioned isn't talked about in there, but yes, it does say he relied heavily on "The Land Beyond The Forest" by Emily Gerard..

message 15: by Lamprini (new)

Lamprini | 18 comments dear Dan the book you mention and its writters are indeed EXPERTS, is based on the actual count dracula:his life, story, death, and legacy in literature and films and not on the vampire story Stoker wrote.
i do not know if you have read the mysterious stranger but the "first" impression is that stoker was practically inspired by it.in fact took a great story and made it a masterpeiece.of course if you want to write a book you use many sources but the story itself remains the same and i do not think that carmilla has something to do with draculla.what is more, if you want to learn everything about vampires then you go to the source.Father's Augustin Calmet investigation on the subject is the one that all the others have read and just retell.

message 16: by Dan, Desecrated Dan (last edited Feb 09, 2013 02:59PM) (new)

Lamprini wrote: "dear Dan the book you mention and its writters are indeed EXPERTS, is based on the actual count dracula:his life, story, death, and legacy in literature and films and not on the vampire story Stoke..."

Actually, there is a chapter in there that deals with Stoker and his influences on writing Dracula. Yes, it is mostly about "Vlad the Impaler", but there is a chapter in there that talks about Stoker's vampire.

Yes, you are right, he was also influenced by "The Mysterious Stranger". I just looked at an article on Vampires. com about that...
http://www.vampires.com/did-anonymous...
I have read Carmilla and I think I am with you in your opinion on it's influence (or lack of influence) on Dracula. It's very different, however most people who research and write about Bram Stoker swear that it was Carmilla that gave Stoker a good kick in the ass to write his own vampire story. I don't know, they also say the whole thing is a mess beacause there are very few records left behind on Stoker's research. I would have to email Dracula expert Elizabeth Miller or Dacre Stoker and ask them more about this. I will also have to check out the Father Augustin Calmet investigation you just mentioned. LOL...I should start a seperate thread on here called "Dracula" so we can continue this discussion further.

P.S.-just curisous, why do you keep spelling "Dracula" with two L's?

message 17: by Dan, Desecrated Dan (new)

I have set up a new thread titled "Dracula". This discussion shall be continued there...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 18: by Lamprini (new)

Lamprini | 18 comments dan, i did not know that the above site was yours since i was a member in it as xerxis and it is a very good site indeed. the reason that stoker was first influenced by carmilla to begin his story is because it was more famous than the mysterious stranger was.you must know than even in our days is unknown for most of the people.
please read "tha Phantom world " by Calmet and you will see that even Summers is deeply influenced. nice talking to you.
P.S. you will see the two lls in many old readings.Dan wrote: "Lamprini wrote: "dear Dan the book you mention and its writters are indeed EXPERTS, is based on the actual count dracula:his life, story, death, and legacy in literature and films and not on the va..."

message 19: by Dan, Desecrated Dan (last edited Feb 19, 2013 09:36PM) (new)

thanks Lamprini. From now on please go to the "Dracula" topic to continue this discussion.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Rice (victoriarice) | 4 comments Greg wrote: "Hey guys, I did this post on five types of vampires that annoy the hell out of me to promote my new vampire novel, Thicker Than Water. If you're a vampire fan who thinks vampires be..."

Just downloaded it!