Cover 2 Cover discussion

Great Questions To Think About! > Will Kids Never Go Back To Other Great Books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If Kids never go back and read the books were reading today, what kind of books do you think will be out in the future? Will there be no more ideas? Lets hear from you!

message 2: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilacarrollann) | 172 comments There will always be ideas. I think there will be even more post apocalyptic novels.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Probably Leila.

I'll probably just force any child I know to read the books of "my day" ;D because they are awesome.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha that would be awesome!

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BECAUSE IT"S AWESOME! It's what I read when i was your age!

Lol I can see someone doing that.

message 5: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (kenjenningsjeopardy74) Many girls still grow up reading the classic novels of Louisa May Alcott (Little Women, Jack and Jill, An Old-fashioned Girl, etc.), and of course many boys of today cut their literary teeth on the famous adventure stories created by the mind of Robert Louis Stevenson. Both of those authors were active in the nineteenth century and are still popularly read today, so I'd expect that a number of books from every generation will continue to be relevant to each new batch of kids.

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana It seems like less and less people will grow up with those classics. I didn't even grow up with them. I think it's the parents who are only truly book lovers that will do this for their children. The majority unfortunately will not.

message 7: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (kenjenningsjeopardy74) I think that what you mentioned is the key: parents who will intentionally introduce their offspring to classic literature because they realize that the stories are timeless, able to be appreciated regardless of the century in which one lives. After I was introduced to the works of Louisa May Alcott, for example, it was clear to me that she was far ahead of her time in the way that she wrote for younger readers. She wrote about complex emotions in a way that most of her contemporaries did not, fitting in very well with the style of today's best authors. I believe that if early readers are encouraged to experience a variety of writing styles from many different time periods, then their tastes will grow to match the wealth of reading that they have deposited in their own mental banks.