Of Thimble and Threat: The Life of a Ripper Victim Of Thimble and Threat discussion

Fun Facts About Victorian London

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (last edited Dec 24, 2011 12:10PM) (new) - added it

Alan Clark Does anyone have fun, weird facts about Victorian England they'd like to share in a discussion?

I discovered all sorts of fascinating bits of information while researching Of Thimble and Threat. Because the British government commissioned so many reports on the daily lives, occupations, health and living conditions of the poor during the period and there were so many writers of the time publishing articles on the conditions within the city of London in periodicals and newspapers, I found a wealth of information online from old records. For instance, the majority of people had as a means of preparing food only one pot to cook in and took the bulk of their meals out. Therefore, the prices at establishments serving food and from street vendors must have been very affordable.

Here are some interesting slang expressions from Victorian London that I used in the novel:
• Cuttie or Nose Warmer—short pipe, mostly smoked by women.
• Billy—silk handkerchief.
• Bludger—violent criminal.
• Dollymop—amateur prostitute.
• Fakement—pretense for begging.
• Flag—an apron.
• Glock—half-wit.
• Gulpy—gullible, easily duped.
• Haybag—woman.
• Lump Hotel—Work House
• Lumper—dock worker.
• Lushington—drunkard.
• Mumper—beggar
• Muck Snipe—someone “down and out”
• Patterer—someone who hawks using a recited sales pitch.
• Prater—con-man preacher.
• Rookery—slum.
• Square rigged—soberly dressed.

Tristan Now I find this. I had to look up a lot of these words while I was reading this one. Thanks.

message 3: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan Clark Tristan--hey, this is a cheat sheet. Thanks for doing it the hard way.