What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Illustrated: The Prince, The Fox & the Sword of Light

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aperture (last edited Nov 29, 2011 08:15PM) (new)

Aperture | 4 comments I'm looking for an illustrated version of the story, The Prince, The Fox and the Sword of Light (sometimes called How Ian Direach got the Blue Falcon). I've found the whole story online, it's an old fairy tale, but I still have yet to find the actual book that I originally read it in when I was a child. I do not remember what the title of the book was, only what the title of the story is. It's a beautifully illustrated book with just this story, not a collection of stories. I read it in my school library in the early 1990s but unfortunately, flooding destroyed much of the library so I have little hope of finding it there if I go back.

Synopsis of story from wikipedia:
(view spoiler)

Thank you for your time!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Interesting story Aper--I don't ever remember reading this, and at one point I collected fairy tales. So now I'll have to go see if I can find a copy too. :o)

message 3: by Aperture (last edited Nov 14, 2011 03:02AM) (new)

Aperture | 4 comments Thanks for posting. Another detail: I think the cover had the image of the protagonist and the blue falcon.

After searching for a while, I would have assumed that I just imagined that there was ever a fully illustrated version of this story, except that I vividly remember writing a book review about it in 3rd grade. I recall sitting at my desk and my friends looking at the pretty pictures while I waited my turn to read my review to the class.

I've googled every combination of words I could think of but I don't see any hint that there ever was an illustrated version. But, I have hope that if anyone can help me, this forum will. I actually found this forum by searching for another obscure book of fairy tales that I've been trying to find for years and someone actually mentioned it here. The book is out of print but I at least have the title and publisher which is far more than I ever hoped for.

*crosses fingers*

message 4: by Aperture (new)

Aperture | 4 comments up :)

message 5: by Lukekgpovey (new)

Lukekgpovey | 1 comments To answer you question I think that you might be talking about a children's book that I have brand new copy of called "Gilly Martin the fox" illustrated by Dennis McDermott and Retold by Mollie Hunter. I hope this helps you find your own copy, I bought mine quite recently.

message 6: by Aperture (last edited Dec 14, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Aperture | 4 comments Lukekgpovey wrote: "To answer you question I think that you might be talking about a children's book that I have brand new copy of called "Gilly Martin the fox" illustrated by Dennis McDermott and Retold by Mollie Hun..."

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! I'm pretty darn sure that's it. I'm so excited. You rock :D I found a copy on Amazon and have ordered it. The cover looks very familiar so we'll see when it arrives.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Aperture wrote: "THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! I'm pretty darn sure that's it. I'm so excited. You rock :D I found a copy on Amazon and have ordered it. The cover looks very familiar so we'll see when it arrives."

Wonderful! Please let us know when you've seen the book.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Aperture, are you ready to call this Solved?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Gilly Martin the Fox is the book Aperture thinks might be Aperture's book.

Aperture hasn't been on GR since 2011 so if we don't hear from Aperture in a couple weeks we can move it to Solved.