ROBUST discussion

Are we all going to the Sea now?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Bob Mayer is on a rant, because other people were on rants. According to him some guy named Tobias Buckell is slinging the f-bomb at all Indie writers.

OMG - the Great Ones are thumping their chests, calling names and slinging f-bombs!

http://writeitforward.wordpress.com/2...

I think this goes back to Barry Eisler calling trade publishing writers 'house slaves.' And a smack on the nose to Konrath who claims they all have Stockholme Syndrome.

Lot's of passionate rants later (rolling eyes) I've decided they are ALL full of sh!t. More twitchiness than ever because ALL writers have options - and the herd mentality on both sides would have us jumping off cliffs like so many lemmings.

In fact, I skipped over to the Tobias Buckell site just to see what he actually said.

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2011/11/...

Surprise, surprise - the titles didn't match, nor did the retoric. In fact, Bucknell appears to be protesting the whole 'lemmings off to the Sea' mentality in favor of...drum roll...freedom to choose!

Holy Cliff Jumping, Captain Marvel! I see a glimmer of common sense!

OH NO! What's that? It's a bird! It's a plane!

NO! NO!

It's Wonder Woman!

Er, no, it's Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
http://kriswrites.com/2011/11/12/free...

Here's a quote:

Cling to your dream. Work for your goal. If you step off the path, climb back on the moment you realize you’ve veered in the wrong direction.

You will make mistakes. You will take the wrong path. The key is to come back to yourself, and come back to the right road for you.

Ahh, yes, a voice that speaks sense without any chest-thumping or f-bomb slinging.

We are saved!

message 2: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 21 comments I came to the same conclusion myself a few weeks ago, just before this latest explosion on the topic. I have to admit, I do see an unwillingness to accept comments as an unwillingness to even consider viewpoints contrary to your own, but you know, whatever. Still, Mayer's post actually said the same thing, in the end. Just do what works for you and do it well. I don't bother reading most of these blogs anymore because there's only so much they can say before they start repeating themselves.

message 3: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Honestly, nobody knows anything right now about the future is going to turn out. Not really. The disruption is too great. Maybe in five year everybody will have to self-publish first and that'll be the expectation. Maybe in five years, Amazon will given up a lot of market share to Big 6 direct eBook endeavors. Who knows? Maybe in five years, an EMP will have convinced people paper book are the only way to go.

In the face of extreme levels of uncertainty, the only reasonable course is to keep one's options open and experiment with different paths.

message 4: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
If these people aren't having fun being indies, let them find an agent and a traditional publisher, and see if they're any happier there. My bet is they won't be happy anywhere. They're just bitching because that is what they do, they bitch.

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Nobody has said anything new in weeks.

People are just so freaking twitchy!

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments It's not like anyone HAS to jump off the cliff, or on the bandwagon for that matter.

It's like beating like a dead horse.

But I swear no one is actually READING these posts from start to finish. They skim, start twitching, then their off for the nearest cliff.

KKR is the only one with ANY sense. She's taken the middle of the road and seems very comfortable there. Of course she's got backlist like National Geographic has back issues.