Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > suggestions, anyone?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Can anyone please suggest paranormal romance books which can make me cry and smile at the same time? :) thanks

message 2: by Nicole (new)

message 3: by Tanecia (new)

Tanecia  (books101) Vampire academy has all of that and more! If you haven't read it already I recommend it!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments If you like YA,

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Oh and...

Sherrilyn Kenyon and her Dark-Hunter books

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments I cried while reading the Hollows- but technically it's UF not PNR. Dead Witch Walking is the first book (didn't cry until like book 4 I think)

I cried while reading Georgina Kincaid, but again it's UF, not PNR. Succubus Blues is the first book.

Night Huntress- again more UF than PNR- but I've laughed and cried, wanted to throw the book across the room and yell "why is she doine that?!?" and cradle it in my arms at the same time. First book Halfway to the Grave.

message 7: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Thank you Nicole! :) I'll check them out :)

I read it already but still thanks for suggesting TT. :)

message 8: by Tanecia (last edited Nov 13, 2011 07:25AM) (new)

Tanecia  (books101) Cool ill try to think of some more !

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Oh yeah Alana, Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead is one of my new favorite series, I have the last two in that series waiting for me

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments another YA is Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater that was good too

message 11: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Thank you Alana! :)

Hmm, will check them all out. :)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Got one.... Hidden Currents (Drake Sisters, #7) by Christine Feehan

not for the faint of heart, adult, and includes non-consentual sex... but it was good. It's like book 7 or 8 in a series- I actually never read the rest of the series but I didn't do too badly.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Oh... I wouldn't call it PNR, but it is romantic, and sad... but good at the same time. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it. Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz

message 14: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Thank you really.

Anything romantic where I would fall in love with the main characters whether PNR or not and I would cry and laugh.. would be highly aprreciated. :)

message 15: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Oh and have you read the Iron Fey series?
That's my kind of thing. :)
Any suggestions similar to it?

message 16: by Nicole (last edited Nov 13, 2011 07:38AM) (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments I haven't read any of Christine Feehans books but has them on my to-read list forever, Is she really good Alana?

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments OH and you cannot read PNR and not read the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1...

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

so so so good

message 18: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments I already read the whole series.

Loved it!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments I read the first Iron Fey, but didn't love it, I still want to read book 2 but I kinda have been putting it off, same with
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

The first one didn't grab me.

But... Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison was the same way, I had I hard time finishing book 1 & 5 bot SOOOOO glad I did

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Jamielyn wrote: "I already read the whole series.

Loved it!"

Then you will love Dark-Hunter, Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione OHHHHHH and A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Shelly Laurenston is HOT romance as well as make you laugh your butt off

message 22: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Really? I think the whole Iron Fey series is good. :)

I'll read the Demonica series. It seems good. Thank you :)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Nicole Marie wrote: "I haven't read any of Christine Feehans books but has them on my to-read list forever, Is she really good Alana?"

I've mostly read her PNR series Ghostwalkers... I would't say they made me cry, but I did like them... I've heard good things about the rest of the Drake series, but just haven't gotten to them yet.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments You may also like Midnight Breed- a little similar to BDB, alpha males- variation on vampire thing going on. PNR, I'm only like halfway through that series

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Odd Thomas will make you bawl... it's a whole series. But the first book is so good and so sad...

message 26: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments I think I might like Midnight Breed. Thanks.

I'll check out Odd Thomas. :)

message 27: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments I just want to say thank you all.
You're so nice and helpful.

I will start reading the midnight breed series.

Feel free to suggest some more. :))

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments I like midnight breed as well, I am on book 4... I think... just got such a busy reading list until the end of the year.... sigh.... it's a rough job but someone has to do it! LOL

I will make sure to read book 2 in the Iron Fey series!

message 29: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments hope you'll like it.

haha goodluck!

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth May (elizabethmay) You might try Karen Moning's Highlander novels. They're a bit lighter on the paranormal (though the heroes are druids), but they're worth a read if you love romance.

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Good one Elizabeth!
Another one by her is The fever series...
Come to think of it Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning is one of the best series I have ever read

message 32: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments I'll check that one out. Thanks elizabeth. :)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Oh yeah... the second to last book I cried with that series

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments the ending was just heartwrenching

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Alana the fever series?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments yes, yes

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Must have been Dreamfever...

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments OMG yes, Shadowfever was the best book of the year

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments I also like One Salt Sea (October Daye series)... I have a series love of Tybalt going on...

And I really enjoyed The Iron Druid Chronicles, no real romance but funny as all get-out

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Ohhhh haven't read those... going on my list!

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga) by H.D. Gordon didn't make me cry... but we are only on Book 1 and I have a fealing It is going to get me to.

Jamielyn you will love that one if you liked Vamp Academy, plus it's only $.99, I feel like I stole that book from H.D. Gordon

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments In Iron Druid- the dog steals the "show" (Oberon)
The Druid can "interact" with religious dieties- example: Virgin Mary, Loki, Bridgit, Jesus... and at one point he's having lunch with Jesus and says something like "Look, I've really found Jesus"

hilarious!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments “Now go and stake some vamps. Especially the sparkly emo ones.”
― Kevin Hearne, Hammered

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Alana wrote: "“Now go and stake some vamps. Especially the sparkly emo ones.”
― Kevin Hearne, Hammered"

LMAO!!!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments “There's a reason Bath & Body Works doesn't have a line of products called Huge Fucking Squirrel.”
― Kevin Hearne, Hammered

“ Oberon said, in a passable imitation of Eric Cartman. I reminded him that I needed to concentrate. Sometimes dogs forget; they just get too excited.”
― Kevin Hearne, Hounded

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments “If anything attacked us, we could just panic at it until it went away.”
― Seanan McGuire, Rosemary and Rue (First October Daye book)

“Just once, I want to meet the villain in a cheerful, brightly lit room. Possibly one with kittens.”
― Seanan McGuire, An Artificial Night

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Alana wrote: "“If anything attacked us, we could just panic at it until it went away.”
― Seanan McGuire, Rosemary and Rue (First October Daye book)

“Just once, I want to meet the villain in a cheerful, brightly..."

LOL!!! Love that

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments My three favorites that all fit that descriptions as far as YA is concerned are (listed first book in the series
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

I laughed and I cried in all of them.
And since someone mentioned The Iron Druid books, they didn't make me cry (yet) but definitely made me laugh. Books about a guy and his dog written by a guy - the guy (in the book) being a 2100 year old Druid who can have conversations with his dog.

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Alana have you read Shelly Laurenston?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments I don't think I have... anything good? I'm all "booked-up" for this month's reading list but I am still taking suggestions for next month

« previous 1