Chicks On Lit discussion

January's book is ...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2562 comments Mod
Sorry this is coming late. I'm already playing Christmas music in my house so you'd think I'd be ahead of schedule rather than behind!

Nominate ONE book (check the shelf to make sure it hasn't been read already)

Name and author

You nominate the book YOU lead the book discussion if it wins the poll.

No need to second or comment I'll make a poll and it just confuses me when I go through the list to do that.

If it's super big and chunky I ask that you save it for one of the chunky reads. We try to do 2 books a month and thats hard to do when it's really thick.

message 3: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

message 4: by Sherin (last edited Nov 13, 2011 10:12PM) (new)

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Are there any more nominations before Tera closes this thread and puts up the poll for vote?

If you are hesitant to nominate a book because you are unsure about leading a discussion, maybe nominate your favorite read of the last year, or your favorite read of all time. Something that you have read already, that you love, that would be easy for you to talk about. A nominated book does not have to be something you have not read yet. Nominate your favorite book, that you would love to discuss with everyone. Leading a group read discussion does not need to be a scary thing. :o)

message 8: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2562 comments Mod
The poll is at the bottom of the page. We will only do one book in January.
Thanks!

message 9: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2562 comments Mod
The Color Purple will be January's read for the month! Thanks Jennifer W and everyone else who nominated and voted.

message 10: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Yay! Can't wait to read it and discuss with everyone!

message 11: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Looking forward to joining in. :o)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4841 comments I never read this book.

message 13: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Petrocelli Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I never read this book."

this may be the only book that i am looking forward to reading despite having seen the movie. i usually NEVER read a book after seeing the movie. but this one is exceptional.

message 14: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Tera, is this read starting on January 1st or the 15th?

message 15: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Jennifer, since there is only one book for January, it would typically be "start discussing" on January 1st (since monthly group reads are usually "read prior to the discussion").

Are you thinking that with the holidays people might not have time to get the book and have it read by the 1st? Would you prefer the discussion for the book to start on the 15th of January?

message 16: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments That's a possibility, Sheila. I was just wondering so I would know when to start the discussion and others would know when to expect it as well. I'm fine with either start date. Does anyone else have a preference?

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Herr (patriciaellisherr) | 8 comments Wonderful! I haven't read The Color Purple in years. Very much looking forward to this.

message 18: by Sherin (new)

Sherin Punnilath (shery_7) | 3158 comments Jennifer W wrote: "That's a possibility, Sheila. I was just wondering so I would know when to start the discussion and others would know when to expect it as well. I'm fine with either start date. Does anyone else ha..."

I think the discussion can be started on 1st itself.
People can join and add comments whenever they are able to..

message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene | 3929 comments I read this about 25 years ago. It will be interesting to read it with more maturity and see how differently it feels this time around.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I would love to join in. I have been wanting to read this book for a long time.

message 21: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments I have this book on the shelf, so hopefully I will be able to join in this discussion.