Outlander Series discussion

miscellaneous > I thought we all liked 'em big!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Allllllll the time! That's usually the first reason that someone won't pick it up. You're either used to reading long books, or they scare the bejeebers out of you.

The truth is that it's really hard to get people to read Outlander. Because first, it's too big. Then second, they think the plot is romance-y.

It's too bad, they're totally missing out.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments umm, yeah, my mind totally went to the gutter when I saw the thread title ;) lol!

this def. seems to be a love or hate book - lots of people read the 1 star reviews and see that people are talking about spousal abuse and that immediately turns them off of reading - from what i've seen on amazon, that and the idea that Claire is cheating on Frank

message 3: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Two of the arguments I hate the most!

Yes, it's long, and yes it's descriptive. I get why people struggle with that. But to have a problem with one scene with Jamie spaking Claire, even though it was historically correct for the times (mild even), and Jamie explained why he had to do it and it made sense even if it was barbaric (the times were barbaric). I don't know, I think that's a silly argument to dislike the book. Not to mention he swore to never do it again, and he didn't.

And the whole cheating thing! Um, Claire didn't have a choice. If she didn't want to be turned over to BJR she had to be married to a Scot. She had to make it legal (again with the times) and you can't help who you fall in love with. Again, I thought DG explained it well by saying that sometimes someone coms into your life that you're attracted to. If nothing happens it will fade, but Claire was forced into something happening and she lost control and fell in love.

Grrr, both of those arguments get me so heated. LMAO, sorry for the rambling post.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments trust me, me too and I hate ppl that go by the absolute god that is a review without reading the book itself - what I love, you might hate and vice versa

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I don't think any of us liked the Spanking scene, but we at least could understand that it was for the times.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 13, 2011 07:01PM) (new)

Yes size does matter....;) a lot of people will be put off by something so sizey it is a huge comitment. There is not just one, you have to invest in many lenghty tomes. I bought it for one of oldest my friends who could not read it for laughing at the stereotypes of speech and behavior for the Scotts. So one mans meat is anothers poison. I think Harry Potter helped some people get over their size issues.

There are parts of Outlander series I do not like. I do not like it when Jamie beats Claire, but it is pressing a point about how they lived then and how high the price of a man's life depended on trust and following orders. He had lost face too and he is alpha. But to Jamie, who grew up with this kind of punishment he could not see the problem. I also think they are showing how Jamie progressed to treat Claire as an equal at a time when this did not happen very often. At least Claire found her true love, but they all three paid a price for that choice.

Personally I have more of a problem with all the rapes and attempted rapes including LJG novels. There are so very many. 2 of them are so painfully detailed I skip them on read throughs. However, I am addicted and I can't wait to share more of these people lives as soon as possible.

message 7: by Sara (last edited Nov 13, 2011 06:41PM) (new)

Sara (saragr) | 96 comments I think it's really unfortunate that some people are so offended by Jamie doing that they don't even finish the book. I mean, they aren't looking at the situation in the context of how it happened. Yes it was wrong, but they were living in different times than what we consider socially acceptable now. I think the context problems occur within all genres of literature, especially ones that deal with vampires, etc.

And yes, the cheating. LOL I mean, yeah I can see where some would not approve, but you can't help who you fall in love with. Like I said, the context of the story. Oh well, it is really and truly their loss if they are going to be that judgmental.

I didn't know some judge the length of a book on if it's worth reading or not. I don't think they are that bad, to me the reading goes by pretty fast.

message 8: by Mirely (new)

Mirely (rumor_has_it) Although I like the Outlander Series, I happen to be one of those people that had/have a problem with the length of the books. I LOVE HARRY POTTER and did not have a problem with the flow or length of those books. The Outlander series is still many pages longer than HP. At any rate I love how descriptive it can be and I didn't have a problem with the beatings or Claire marrying Jamie still being married 200 yrs in the future... I did have a problem with her sleeping with Lord John but that happens(but it shouldn't if we are to believe about the ginormous love she shares with Jamie)...BUT mainly, I have a problem with DG creating ridiculous circumstances to make the book longer. I do think that many of the books could be edited down substantially without losing credibility and substance. Again the length of the book has nothing to do with the details...it comes from some of the circumstances that are created that really don't need to be there.

message 9: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Well and again, she had no choice but to marry a scottish man so that Dougal wouldn't have to turn her over to Black Jack. This wasn't like she set out to cheat. I'm with Brother Ambrose (I think it was), I think this isn't quite the same thing.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments The bigger the better for me (at least as far as books go) as long as they are good. I never want a good story to end so I like them long. Reading a good series is great until you get to the last one and are waiting forever for the next installment.
I was personally offended by the spanking sure but it didn't ruin the story for me. Same with the rape scenes - that kind of stuff happened , and still does. It makes for uncomfortable moments in reading but adds that necessary slap in the face that reminds us that the reality of that time is not better than life today.
For me, it is the very political parts that I find dry and boring. Luckily withDG they are not long stretches and there is the meat of the story that keeps it moving.

message 11: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments I was NEVER put off by the size of Outlander much less of any book. If it's good I never want it to end! So, the more of the book the merrier I am! I'm an avid reader, though, so I think for some the size of a book can be daunting.

I was a history major so the details were what made me fall in love with Diana's writing style. It was like being there myself. Sigh.

I was never bothered by the spanking scene. I didn't view it as violent b/c I was able to understand it was the mores of the time period. Also, the humor afterwards was great. Plus, if you read The Exile you learn that Jamie did it only b/c Dougal threatened to. So, Jamie wasn't a sadist. ;)

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 448 comments Have to agree that what really drew me to these books was all of the wonderful details that DG adds to the stories. She really develops the characters and I sometimes even forget that there is time travel involved...it seems so real! And I also love all of the different story lines especially Bree/Roger, Young Ian, and LJG.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Chaves | 16 comments I read Outlander and was hooked. I love how DG puts me there with the characters. I can feel their heart beating and the breaths that they take. I wouldn't mind if the book were the size of an encyclopedia. I didn't mind the spanking scene. It was the period. No womans lib yet.

message 14: by Carol L (new)

Carol L | 218 comments For me, if it's skinny, I don't buy it....just sayin'

message 15: by Deena (new)

Deena | 175 comments I personally love big books. When I read a skinny book I tend to want to keep reading and I end up reading it all in a day or two. A bit book allows me to take my time since I know it would be impossible to finish in a day. Most of my close friends/families aren't readers like i am so they would never pick up Outlander just because of the size of the book.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Love BIG!!!

message 17: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 103 comments Wendy F wrote: "I don't think any of us liked the Spanking scene, but we at least could understand that it was for the times."

I have shared my thoughts on this before. I am sure it is buried here somewhere. LOL. I have only heard good things about Outlander. Often I would see it recommended. So when I did read it, it was a shock to me when he did beat her. And then the violent sex scene later. I couldn't understand why women raved about this book. I did have to remind myself that it was normal then. I got past it and he redeemed himself when he saved her from being hung. Now I love this series. I haven't read hem all yet. The first three are my favorites.

message 18: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Dec 09, 2011 09:41AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments When you say violent sex scene, do you mean (view spoiler)? If so, it was one of my favorite moments between them. First (view spoiler). I think it was passion. I think that there are lots of people out there who've had angry sex before. Claire never felt like she was attacked or taken against her will.

I don't know, I read this the first time at 16 and even then I never really thought the beating and stuff was so awful. Maybe it's because I tend to read a normal historical romance and finish them laughing from enjoyment but also rolling my eyes because they don't actually represent history. I always felt like they're more like a woman's romantic fantasy of history. Outlander never felt like a Historical Romance to me. When I read it the first time, and told people about it, I would say it's a Historical Fiction/Adventure because there are things in that that are brutal and intense.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i was like 16 when i first read it as well and it didn't bother me in the slightest...

message 20: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Plus, I think those mistakes and flaws made Jamie more human, which in turn just made me love him that much more.

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments I like that it made Jamie more human also but it put me in perspective also. Though it is nice to imagine myself in Clairs situation I believe that I really would not like being in that time period for some of those reasons. I'd do it for a month or so to get the feel of it but wouldn't want to stay and give up modern life.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee Trull (tiggertrull) | 40 comments Jamie could spank me any time he wanted to withthose big hands of his ... just saying ;) oh, wait we're talking about the books size... never bothered me :)

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments Gotta say though a big book is better with an e- reader or online - my hands do not cramp up holding it. A hard back DG book is rough on the tunnel syndrome but great for the soul.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Renee you are too funny!!!

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments haha, I'm with you Renee.

I could never live back then, UNLESS it was with Jamie.

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane (danderv) | 60 comments Renee wrote: "Jamie could spank me any time he wanted to withthose big hands of his ... just saying ;) oh, wait we're talking about the books size... never bothered me :)"

HAHA! That really is funny! and, bigger is better when reading.. I see 800 pages or more, and I get all tingly heehee!

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee Trull (tiggertrull) | 40 comments I looked at my bookcase last night and realized that most of my favorite books are on the grand scale. Don Quixote, East of Eden, Outlander Series.
@Wendy, correct :)

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments It's so nice when you read a book you love and know you get to stay with it for a while.

message 29: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Sue wrote: "It's so nice when you read a book you love and know you get to stay with it for a while."

Aw, well said Sue!

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Amen sista!!!

message 31: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) The length of Outlander was nothing in comparison to the unabridged Les Miserables, in my opinion (but that could be because I dislike reading Classics in general). At least in Outlander, any non-English words or phrases are either translated, summarized or understandable through context. My copy of Les Mis had lines of untranslated French, which made me grumpy. (lol)

@Jen: I was a history major so the details were what made me fall in love with Diana's writing style. It was like being there myself. Sigh.

I was never bothered by the spanking scene. I didn't view it as violent b/c I was able to understand it was the mores of the time period. Also, the humor afterwards was great. Plus, if you read The Exile you learn that Jamie did it only b/c Dougal threatened to. So, Jamie wasn't a sadist. ;)

Agreed. Not a history major but Classics with a liking for history. :) That's one of the main things I love about the Outlander series.

And I see I am missing out on some tasty information by refusing to read graphic novels. *puts The Exile on wishlist*