Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald Collection > Gatsby: No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trisha | 495 comments Hey everyone, sorry about the delay. Post your comments for "The Great Gatsby" here.

Trisha | 495 comments What are people's thoughts on this novel? I liked the story itself, but I felt like there was something lacking in the writing style. I feel like I wanted more description or depth to the story. It seemed like big things were happening, but were summed up in a single sentence, and if I read to quickly I could have missed it.
What did people think of "the great Gatsby" himself?

Trisha | 495 comments How are folks doing with this novel? Seems a little quiet in this thread!

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
I totally forgot that this was a November read. Guess I will get on it.

Trisha | 495 comments Haha! No pressure :-)
It's actually a pretty short novel!

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this story. It was a lot of fun to read. I liked the character Gatsby best. I think most people can relate to an obsession. At some point we all are obsessed with something. I have no problem seeing someone standing on a dock looking across the water hoping to realize their dream.

Marcie Harkness | 28 comments Just finished today. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I wonder how Daisy can keep on going after the accident? What's with her?

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Marcie I don’t think the accident would ever fazed her type. Daisy seems exceptionally narcissistic and devoid of personal responsibility. You could even argue the book has a happy ending. After all Gatsby dies before truly wining the love of his life and is spared ever having to learn how hollow and empty she really is.

Marcie Harkness | 28 comments Bob, I believe you're right about Daisy. Also, she clearly never told Tom what really happened. The two of them deserve each other. Somehow I was happy the Jordan was let down, good for Nick. He was my favorite!

Trisha | 495 comments I enjoyed reading about the parties. It seemed like everyone wanted to be at one of Gatsby's parties, and would brag about what close friends they were with him, but they actually had no clue who he was and would brag TO him, not realizing that he was Gatsby! That must have been pretty lonely for him. Everyone wanted to claim that they knew him, but never took the time to actually get to know him. His "fame" was more important to them then he was.

Marcie Harkness | 28 comments and then they didn't bother to come to the funeral

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
I haven't read anything by Fitzgerald before -- this is truly beautiful writing. And such a sad story -- such loneliness.

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 23 comments This is one of my favorite books of all time. I absolutely fell in love with it--the writing style, the characters, the story, and most of all, the atmosphere Fitzgerald creates. I felt like I was in the story every minute I was reading it.

message 14: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (superkatness) | 163 comments I had to read "The Great Gatsby" ten times for the same literary theory class in college, and write ten papers on it describing everything from each different theoretical perspective. I have an avid aversion to this book because the characters are vapid, the events are meaningless, the "American Dream" is an empty illusion, and although the writing and book itself is quite clever, it is a pessimistic view of the world.

Shelley | 54 comments Katrina,

Literary theory can ruin anything! Maybe give the book a second chance in a few years and don't let anybody theorize it for you. To name emptiness is not an empty act....

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

Trisha | 495 comments I agree! Sometimes "required reading" sucks the enjoyment out of a novel. I love to read for the sheer pleasure of it, but when there is a test or paper involved, it becomes more of a stressful obligation.

Annina | 121 comments Trisha wrote: "What are people's thoughts on this novel? I liked the story itself, but I felt like there was something lacking in the writing style. I feel like I wanted more description or depth to the story. ..."

I read Great Gatsby last autumn and I had same thoughts about it as you.

At first it was very slow read for me, but after the story went by and more started to happen, I couldn't stop reading it. But something at the end of the story wasn't right and I didn't like how it ended.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'm up to ch 3. I'm not terribly impressed so far, but I'll give it a chance.

I'm not crazy about first person POV.

There's something slow about what I've read so far.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments The author keeps using the word "gayety."

message 20: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments Is this really the no spoilers thread? I seem to have read a couple of spoilers from the older posts...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Tytti, I stopped reading the old comments because I felt that they gave away too much.

message 22: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments I think I already read the main spoiler, so...

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments That's too bad you've been "spoiled." I stopped reading after about two of them (comments).

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments The author keeps using the word "gayety."

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments So far I'm underwhelmed.

Karen | 22 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) wrote: "The author keeps using the word "gayety.""

Yes, which meant having fun and being happy.

Karen | 22 comments Lena wrote: "This is one of my favorite books of all time. I absolutely fell in love with it--the writing style, the characters, the story, and most of all, the atmosphere Fitzgerald creates. I felt like I was ..."

Me too! I am proud of the review I wrote for this book, but it does contain spoilers.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I am aware of the meaning of "gayety." I just think the author relied on its use too heavily.