Teen Writers discussion

Q & A

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Have any questions? Post it here.

message 2: by Hiba (new)

Hiba Rauf | 11 comments 1.How to avoid writers block??

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know the answer to that one... Lol.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex I just usually write and get rid of what I don't like whenever the Creativity Train hits me.

message 5: by Hiba (new)

Hiba Rauf | 11 comments Lol..never mind:P

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Hiba wrote: "1.How to avoid writers block??"

I try to continue writting when I feel like I am getting stuck and force myself to write then go back and edit later. It is much easier to fix than prevent.

message 7: by Hiba (new)

Hiba Rauf | 11 comments Hmmmm...thanks for suggestion:)

message 8: by Hiba (new)

Hiba Rauf | 11 comments You are reading an interesting novel/book..You find some difficult word..what do you do??

A: Stop! and consult a dictionary right away.
B: Continue reading and never bother to find the meaning
C: Finish reading and then find the meaning

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

A. Lol. If I feel like it. Otherwise I do B. and try to guess with context clues. :)

message 10: by ichigo_menthol (new)

ichigo_menthol Yeah, A or B. if its a word that ive never ever heard before i go for A but if its a word that ive heard before and i vaguelyish know that it means then B.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Hiba wrote: "You are reading an interesting novel/book..You find some difficult word..what do you do??

A: Stop! and consult a dictionary right away.
B: Continue reading and never bother to find the meaning
C: ..."

When I read ebooks I choose a because I just have to double tap the word and I have the deffination right there. If I have never even heard of the word and can't figure it out with context clues I go for a but if I think I know what it means I go for b.

message 12: by ichigo_menthol (new)

ichigo_menthol wow! ebooks are so convenient!!

message 13: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Yeah just yesterday I was telling a friend about how I should invent an ebook type thing that is contacts so the words scroll in front of your eyes without anyone knowing you are reading. The reason is because my third period teacher always gets pissed at me for reading during his class. :)

message 14: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I have a question. Do you guys ever make up stories in your head when your bored but never feel like they are good enough to write down? I do that a lot.

message 15: by ichigo_menthol (last edited Nov 30, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

ichigo_menthol Cool about the ebook thing. Umm I sometimes make up stories in my head but even if you dont think its good you should write it down somehwere. it could just be one or two lines that describe the story or something. then later you can go look at it and maybe change it around a bit :D. i have quite a few of them somewhere but i never write them into a story :/ lol. I just don't like forgetting a story even if its not good ^_^

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) McKenna wrote: "I have a question. Do you guys ever make up stories in your head when your bored but never feel like they are good enough to write down? I do that a lot."

Well, I actually write mine down. The margins of my notes from my lecture classes are covered with doodles and story ideas, plot ides, character ideas, quites, and edits for my current piece

message 17: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Oh. That is probably a good idea.

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) ^ drives the people who sit around me nuts because my paper is full of writting and if they miss something it is hard to find what they need.

message 19: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Haha

message 20: by ichigo_menthol (last edited Mar 12, 2012 04:25AM) (new)

ichigo_menthol John wrote: "Hiba wrote: "1.How to avoid writers block??"

Late on this, but try going outside, abandoning your WIP, and let the fresh air clear your head. Works for me."

That sounds good! Mine sounds sort of weird compared to yours but what I do is...well, I take a really long time to fall asleep so when I'm snuggled up in my blankets and waiting for sleep to come I think about random things like what happened through the day...and stuff. THen I think about a story I'm stuck on and I think of all the possible ways it could continue on from where I stopped, playing with the personalities and such, maybe adding ideas that happened from earlier in the day. Eventually I might fall asleep and I might dream of it :P rarely happens but get surprised your subconscious might tell you where to go ;)

....BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! like I can say much. I have EXTREME writer's block and I stopped my story in December and haven't updated since :P.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a question ;) What makes a good villain? Would it be better if the villain had a bad past that led them to what they became, or was just straight up horrible their whole life?

message 22: by ichigo_menthol (new)

ichigo_menthol Rayzel wrote: "I have a question ;) What makes a good villain? Would it be better if the villain had a bad past that led them to what they became, or was just straight up horrible their whole life?"

Umm, well it sort of depends. Do you want to readers to connect with the villain and maybe feel sorry for them? Understand them in some way? Do you want the readers to feel conflict. Should I hate this character or cry for them and say "it's not their fault"?

If so....then you should have broken past, or a reason for their behaviour and intentions. All villains would have a reason for their behavious and intentions of course, and something in the past would've affected them. SO If someone was straight out horrible their whole life, there would be a reason I guess eg. Queen bee bitch is mean and evil, her past...is...uh, she was spoilt and her parents gave her anything she wanted so she thinks she can get what she wants with a snap of her fingers.
That was really cliche...I know...sorry. Haha. I Don't think my explanation made much sense....eh. Sorry again. Hope you get what I'm trying to say...:)

message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Rayzel wrote: "I have a question ;) What makes a good villain? Would it be better if the villain had a bad past that led them to what they became, or was just straight up horrible their whole life?"

I agree with post 23, it really depends.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for your answer! :) Lol, love the Queen bee bitch xD Well, I want to create a villain that people fear, without going overboard (For ex: maniacal laughing) but I don't want people to sympathize with them TOO much, haha.

message 25: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Well, he is your character so you can write him and kit you don't like him you can change him or start from scratch.

message 26: by ichigo_menthol (last edited Mar 18, 2012 01:00AM) (new)

ichigo_menthol Yeah I agree, if you don't like it, start again.

If you don't want people to sympathise too much then maybe don't dwell on the villain's history so much. Or make their history really twisted which results in them being really twisted, eg. A boy, brought up in a really mean place when they torture everybody and have bad rules like those dystopian rule enforcers or something....yeah.
So the boy ends up cruel but i guess he doesnt know that its cruel because he thinks its normal to be a crazy sadist who loves blood.

Notice how its not a queen bee ;), oh and so yeah...that example...you can't really feel sorry for the boy....well I don't feel sorry for the boy, hehe.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the advice!

message 28: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Glad to be of help.