Teen Writers discussion

Tips

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If you have any general writing tips, post advice here.

message 2: by ichigo_menthol (last edited Dec 01, 2011 12:40AM) (new)

ichigo_menthol Please don't do this:

"OH MY GOSH, I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU FOR AGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Deliah shouted.

It's just annoying, and not really professional in my opinion.
Multiple exclamation marks in written speech is a no. Multiple exclamation marks in normal writing like right now is okay.
All-capital letters in written speech is a no. It's okay in normal writing.

"Oh my gosh, I haven't seen you in ages!" Dehliah shouted.

Readers know that Deliah shouted that, because you wrote that, you don't need the all-capitals and exclamation marks.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Agree

message 4: by McKenna (new)

McKenna When you say normal writing you mean when we are talking to each other? Because when I'm talking to people I use a few exclamation marks but I don't in my writing.

(At least I don't think, if I do it is unconciously.)

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Or use all caps for a monologue

If I need so more emphasis on the sentence I will us two excilmation point but nor more than that.

message 6: by ichigo_menthol (new)

ichigo_menthol Yeah normal writing as in right now. nothing professional. like emails to friends, messages, comments posts, blahblah.

message 7: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Oh ok

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I've not finished my story yet, but I want to post a new one . . . should I, or wait till Ive finished the one I'm on now?

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) It depends, if you know you will actually finish the first one while writting a second one do both. If you are unsure finish the first and just jot down your idea on a piece of paper to come back to once you are done.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I will definitely finish the first... so I think I'll post a new story. Thanks for the advice.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) No problem :)