Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > WI 11-12 20.6 - Bleak House

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Nov 13, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Liz M 20.6 - In honor of Bleak House, read a book about courts, the legal system, or a book in which a lawyer is the primary character.

message 2: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Are things like prisons, the Soviet gulag, etc. included in the definition of the legal system for this task?

message 3: by Liz M (new)

Liz M I was initially assuming "the legal system" to be the court system, case law, constitutions, etc. (The order half of "Law & Order"), but, yes, I'll accept prisons/gulags.

message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) OK; I'm just trying to pick between a couple of books and wanted to be sure either would work. Thank you!

message 5: by Liz M (new)

Liz M If you're reading something by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn, I will greatly look forward to your review. He's on my list, but never seems to get read.... :D

message 6: by Denae (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I have asked for a copy of The Gulag Archipelago Abridged for Christmas. I normally don't read anything abridged, but I think I'll make an exception for that one. I may hold off on this task to see if I get it! I was actually looking at Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag though. Either that or a biography of John Adams. One of those will go on my list for now.

message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4179 comments This is perfect for us mystery lovers. There are many with lawyers as the main character.

message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "This is perfect for us mystery lovers. There are many with lawyers as the main character."

Exactly!

message 9: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Share! All the ones I read seem to have amateurs/cops as the mains.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11715 comments Denae wrote: "Share! All the ones I read seem to have amateurs/cops as the mains."

I think most of John Grisham would apply, although he has a few that are non-lawyer types. Also I think Scott Turow has a few lawyer types. Erle Stanley Gardner had the Perry Mason series, which most certainly would qualify.

message 11: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) OK, thank you

message 12: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell
Final Jeopardy by Linda Fairstein
A Question of Guilt by Frances Fyfield
Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron
Where Lawyers Fear To Tread by Lia Matera
The Smart Money by Lia Matera
Mitigating Circumstances by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg
Everywhere That Mary Went by Lisa Scottoline
Sea of Troubles by Janet L. Smith
North of the Border by Judith Van Gieson
Dead Man's Thoughts by Carolyn Wheat
Death Qualified by Kate Wilhelm

message 13: by Rebekah (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4179 comments The Lincoln Lawyer
I was thinking Lisa Scottoline and john Grisham
There is a web site called StopYoureKillingMe.com where you can look up mysteries by genre, time periods, locations or whatever. On the menu on the left is Job Index and there is Law under that Index

message 14: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4179 comments I saw on that web site books by Asa Larsson about a tax attorney named Rebecka Martinsson, "a tax attorney in Stockholm, called back to her hometown in Kiruna, north of the Arctic Circle, in Sweden.

message 15: by Krista (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:33AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments I've been meaning to start Kate Wilhelm's "Barbara Holloway" series. The first book in the series, Death Qualified certainly fits.

All of Michael Connelly's book in the "Mickey Haller" series would fit. The Lincoln Lawyer is the first book in that series.

On the humorous side, John Mortimer's "Rumpole" series would also work. I think that Rumpole of the Bailey might be the first in that series.

(Why am I reading these messagne instead of posting the 15 books I've read for the Fall Challenge? I must love the research part too much!!)

message 16: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Krista wrote: "Why am I reading these messages instead of posting the 15 books I've read for the Fall Challenge? I must love the research part too much!!..."

Keep reading & researching, please so I can finish reading the two books I have left for the Fall Challenge. ;)

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy | 868 comments I'm just finishing Neon Dragon by John Dobbyn which is all about a lawyer...I'm enjoying it quite a bit, for those of you who like mysteries and legal fiction!

message 18: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Liz M wrote: "Krista wrote: "Why am I reading these messages instead of posting the 15 books I've read for the Fall Challenge? I must love the research part too much!!..."

Keep reading & researching, please so I can finish reading the two books I have left for the Fall Challenge. ;) ..."

For you Liz -- anything! :-)

message 19: by Karen Michele (last edited Dec 06, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4416 comments I'm reading Bleak House for this task, but I'm just about to finish Out of Oz. A section of the book is The Trial of Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion, Brrr is a lawyer. Does this count for combo points, or does it need to be an entire book about law?

message 20: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4179 comments Would The Pickwick Papers work for this task? I've been wanting to read it. i thought it had a legal aspect but not sure and am afraid of reading too much about the book because I don't want it spoiled for me.

message 21: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) A legal case does comprise a fair amount of the plot

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula | 163 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would The Pickwick Papers work for this task? I've been wanting to read it. i thought it had a legal aspect but not sure and am afraid of reading too much about the book because I don..."

This book is really more about the adventures of the four Pickwickeans while they explore different areas. I think it would be better to use Bleak House, if you want to use a Dickens book for this tasked. I don't think Pickwick really fits. It definitely fits for 10.9 or 20.1 though!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.