Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > WI 11-12 20.2 - A Tale of Two Cities

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Nov 13, 2011 05:20AM) (new)

Liz M 20.2 - In honor of A Tale of Two Cities, read a book that takes place in at least two different countries.

message 2: by Liz M (last edited Nov 17, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Liz M I have done some looking around the internet, but have yet to find the right words that might yield a list of books that have multiple settings. We may have to rely on each others recommendations.

A Room With a View, I believe, takes place in England and Italy
Season of Migration to the North takes place in England & Sudan
2666 takes place in Italy & Mexico
Great House takes place in US, London, Jerusalem
The Mysteries of Udolpho takes place in France and Italy
A Pale View of Hills takes place in England and Japan
Deep River takes place in Japan & India
Around the World in Eighty Days has many locations
People of the Book is set in Bosnia, Vienna, Venice, and Spain
Vanity Fair takes place in London, Brussels, and Germany
The Inheritance of Loss takes place in India & the US

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 17, 2011 06:32PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments I'm planning to read Dark Star, which takes place in several cities. Paris, Moscow, Berlin, and Prague, 1937, as the description says.

On my shelf, which I'm always hoping to work in, is Accordion Crimes, which takes place in Sicily and the US.

message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Liz M wrote: "I have done some looking around the internet, but have yet to find the right words that might yield a list of books that have multiple settings. We may have to rely on each others recommendations...."

People of the Book, pretty much anything by Salman Rushdie, The Holder of the World, Cutting for Stone--these are a few that just came to mind.

message 5: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments Eat, Pray, Love takes place in 3 different countries. A lot of people have problems plodding through it, however.

message 6: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Remembering Babylon
Jack Maggs

What about fantasy/sci fi? How do those figure in? Say I have a character who travels from one country in that fantasy universe to another? Would that count?

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 18, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

A Discovery of Witches England, France and the U.S.
The Night Circus England and the U.S.
The Lacuna Mexico and the U.S.

I particularly enjoyed the last two.

message 8: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments nsfancy wrote: "A Discovery of Witches England, France and the U.S.

I particularly enjoyed the la..."

I have a Discovery of Witches on my shelf at home. Did you not like it?

message 10: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I think all of the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman applies

message 11: by Krista (last edited Nov 20, 2011 07:27AM) (new)

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:34AM) (new)

Liz M Denae wrote: "What about fantasy/sci fi? How do those figure in? Say I have a character who travels from one country in that fantasy universe to another..."

I'd like to limit this to real countries.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Tobey wrote: "nsfancy wrote: "A Discovery of Witches England, France and the U.S.

I particu..."

Discovery of Witches was a fun read but, for me, not in the same class as the other two.

message 14: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 22, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments Krista reminds me that Kate Grenville's

The Secret River (especially good)
The Lieutenant

would also fit this task

ETA: What was I thinking?!? Neither of these fit 20.2; both fit 20.4 Christmas Carol.

message 16: by Krista (last edited Nov 24, 2011 08:26AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo works for this task.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the opening portion of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest also takes place in another country. (I can't remember if the scenes are at the end of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or the beginning of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest)

And now that I think about it -- I think The Girl Who Played with Fire also works for this task. Part of it is set in Gibralter... I think. (Again, I know the Gibralter setting exists, just not 100% sure it was in the final book in the trilogy.)

Can anyone else confirm?

message 17: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Krista wrote: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo works for this task.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the opening portion of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest also takes place in..."

All three are partially set outside of Sweden. In Dragon Tattoo (view spoiler). In Kicked the Hornet's Nest (view spoiler). In Played with Fire (view spoiler). I think I have that right anyway.

Smilla's Sense of Snow would work for this and/or Baby it's cold outside

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula | 163 comments Would you accept Journey to the Centre of the Earth? I know it is sci-fi but is set, I believe, in England and Iceland. I've wanted to read it since the volcano erupted in Iceland (which trapped me in France) and hearing that it was the same volcano that Verne mentions in his book. (yes, I'm aware of how much of a geek that makes me sound). :)

message 19: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments I have a quick question about a book I am about to finish for the seasonal reading challenge and am unsure of. Can I claim:

The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

Most of the book takes place in London, but the story of a treasure in India takes up the last part of the book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.