Teen Writers discussion

NaNoWriMo 2011

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Who's in NaNoWriMo this year?!? How are your stories coming along???

message 2: by Alexa (last edited Nov 15, 2011 03:11PM) (new)

Alexa What exactly is NaNoWriMo? I've heard of it but I don't what it is.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments I'm doing NaNo this year! It's my first year doing it. I started a few days late, so I'm really behind.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you explain what it is? I'm not exactly sure either, other then it's like a month writing challenge.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments NaNoWriMo obviously takes place in November. You have 30 days to write 50,000 words. You have to start with a new story idea. At the end of the 30 days, you can "submit" your writing in order to verify that you have written 50,000 words. You don't win a prize per se, but you are noted as a winner if you do reach the 50,000 words.
You can always go to nanowrimo.org for more information than I've given you.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool. Thanks! :)

message 7: by McKenna (new)

McKenna I started it this year but I was a bit behind. I hadn't heard of it before and I started writing a sci-fi but then I reread Delirium by Lauren Oliver and realized it was almost exactly the same. I had pulled the idea out of my conscious accidentally and so I deleted the story and quit. I'll definitally do it next year though.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily If you try to do NaNoWriMo and don't end up finishing it before the month is up, can you just finish the story on your own and post it on Goodreads?

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments Yeah. There's not an actual penalty for not finishing during the month. You just don't get recognized as someone who completed their novel. And all of the writing is done in your own word processor, so you have the writing from start to finish.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Okay :) I think I might try it when November comes around, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't finish.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments I participated this past year and I didn't finish. I'm actually really close to finishing it now. I'm hoping I finish it within the next two weeks!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Ouh! I really doubt I would finish because I have school and I don't like to stay up too late :P

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments I had school, too. And November was also a big music month for me -- so many rehearsals and performances. I had hoped to finised. It's still a great thing to participate in, whether or not you finish on time.

message 14: by Emily (last edited Jan 31, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Emily Okay. Do you write the story on the website, or on your own document?

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments You write it on your own document. That way you can save it out. But when you finish writing 50,000 words you verify with the NaNo that you wrote that amount.

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Okay. Can it be over 50,000?

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments Yeah.

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Can you start writing or planning out the story before November?

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments The idea is to write the entire story in November. You can plan and takes notes before November.

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily Thanks!

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (fluteplayer2) | 22 comments Sure!