ROBUST discussion

Thoughts on this cover?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I'm aiming at getting another novel out just before Christmas (not the sequel to Treespeaker, sorry, but that will come, I promise). Any thoughts, ideas on this cover? It's YA fantasy. I don't normally like people on covers, but this girl just seems to fit my MC so well, I had to use her.

message 2: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 21 comments I like the blue/purple. Historical or high fantasy?

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments High fantasy.

message 4: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 21 comments What age group? It looks like an adult story, but not dark. Possibly with romantic bits? I'm just telling you all this so that you can see what kind of impression the reader will get from that cover, so you know if it matches the story itself.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments It's aimed at mid-teens, but could be read by anyone really. Reasonably dark (for me). Looks as though it's going to romance, but then there's a twist.

Thanks for your help.

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments How does it look as a thumbnail?

I think it's lovely at that size, just concerned about postage stamp sized.

message 7: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 21 comments I think the girl's face will still show up. The dragon might just about...

message 8: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I was looking at the sky - wondering what it would look like in a lighter color. Make the moon contrast - in a pale yellow or a greener blue?

Photo software is great when you just want to tweak colors. You don't need to repaint.

message 9: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 21 comments Experiment and see what happens :D

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I like it. Though, yeah, maybe tweak the colors a bit.

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave | 65 comments I'm not a big fan of pictures of people on covers, but I know it is used plenty in YA.

Is the font clear when it's Amazon thumbnail size?

message 12: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios (athanos) I would make the "of the" much smaller and squeeze it between the "Mark" & "Dragon" so you can see the moon and the dragon better.
Center the "Mark" over the smaller "of the" & "Dragon" words. I would also put a black glow around the title so it stands out from the moon and lighter parts of the background. It's a decent cover, in keeping with your genre.

message 13: by Athanasios (last edited Nov 13, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Athanasios (athanos) This is what I mean:
www.mad-gods.com/downloads/motdq4.jpg

It's a quick mock up, with your own .jpg and 15 minutes of my time, but you get the idea.

message 14: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 21 comments That does look good. Well done, Athanasios!!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Yes, thanks Tom, I'll have a play with it the way you suggest.

How did you pull a jpg apart like that?

message 16: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Nice work, Katie. However, Tom is right, your title is unbalanced by the minor words. There is no need for the title to interfere with the dragon.

AND

That M of Mark needs to be horizontally flipped to read triumphantly upwards from the left, not depressingly downwards to the right.

Looking at Tom's version at 25% on a 72dpi screen (very small):

The titling could be a titch fatter to survive at postage stamp size.

Your name should definitely be dropped out in dead white or it will be lost. Your name has value; don't waste it.

message 17: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios (athanos) I made a duplicate layer that I increased the contrast on then selected the text. I filled the text on another layer with white and redrew the background from reference of the original layer. It's not that difficult if you've done it in the past. Practice, practice, practice

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I do not care for the font at all.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Patricia wrote: "I do not care for the font at all."

Can you tell me why, Patricia?

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments When I look at words, I want to know in a single glance what they're communicating. It took me more than a glance to work my way through the letters. The M and Ns look like columns at ancient ruins, the Q looks like a symbol or logo instead of a letter, and the Rs and K with their long lines running under neighboring letters are annoying.

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I see what you mean, but I quite like it. It suggests fantasy without being Celtic.

message 22: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I agree with Andre about flipping the M so it goes up.

Still not much contrast - maybe lighten her face?

That might be a hold over from art class - "Contrast!" was my teacher's favorite phrase.

message 23: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
I see this script on most book covers these days. Seems to be the new "in" font in YA especially and in books about vampires, demons, angels and werewolves (from the sidebar adverts I get on FB and Goodreads).

I'm not overly fond of the cover. It doesn't jump out and wow me but then I don't read YA often enough.

I do agree with Andre and KA about flipping the M though. Looks like a small letter at the beginning of the title.

message 24: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 160 comments I agree with Patricia's comment about the font. I felt my eyes slow down in order to make sure they were reading it correctly. I don't think you want that kind of response in potential readers. Granted, I'm not indicative of all readers...

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Thanks for your comments on that attempt everyone. And now for something completely new...

It's not finished yet - I intend to cover the book with drawings and writing, but before I fiddle with that, I thought I'd get opinions on whether it's worth it? Or am I on completely the wrong track again?

message 26: by Claudine (new)

I much prefer this one Katie. I know you said you liked the girl on the previous cover but that little smirk on her face put me off completely.

message 27: by Andre Jute (new)

I like the typography and the colour.

message 28: by Katie (last edited Nov 18, 2011 06:16AM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments ...but?

Claudine, do you really see that as a smirk?

message 29: by Andre Jute (new)

But nothing. I thought the blue girl was a bit bland, but then, if you give her too much character, that influences your readers' view of your book before they've read a single page.

message 30: by Claudine (new)

The first time I looked at the first picture the smile put me off completely. I honestly couldn't tell you why it did though. I just looked at it and thought Hmmm what are you smirking at? It's a very knowing look, sarcastic almost? Anyway, that's how I saw her face. Like the Mona Lisa just....more? With teeth?

I got no buts either. Love the colour choice, love the font, love the darker outline around the letters.

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Bunn | 160 comments Much nicer. I'd fiddle a bit with the title font design. Have you tried a slight drop shadow instead of an outline?

message 32: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Better colors! Those really pop!

Smirk? Hmmm, interesting how people see things differently.

I thought she looked like a little girl pretending to be Marilyn Monroe.

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I like the new cover MUCH more. I hope you don't do too much to the book because it could detract from the title and your name.

As for the girl, to me it looks like she's a sarcastic teen saying, "Yeah. Right." She also seems to be from a different era than the building is, but maybe that's what you intend. I could imagine her at the local mall.

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Strange, I really liked that girl's face. Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone. I'll keep working on the book, but yes, Patricia, I'll be careful not to put too much on it. I intend to have it fairly faded.

message 35: by Ardyth (new)

Ardyth DeBruyn | 33 comments Huh, I really liked the girl's face and the first cover, but the second one is pretty nice too. The purple colors are great.

message 36: by Katie (last edited Nov 18, 2011 09:31PM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Well, I'm glad someone else liked her, Ardyth.

Christopher, I tried the Drop Shadow, but it didn't shrink as clearly as the stroke.

Okay, I think I'm finished. Now I'd better stop procrastinating and get back to editing or this will all have been a complete waste of time.

[image error]

Thanks for the help everyone.

message 37: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments That looks good. Excellent.

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments Thanks, Patricia!

I'm glad I came here for opinions. I liked the other one, but have to say I do like this one even better.