Christopher Paolini (INHERITANCE CYCLE series) discussion

Book 4 > SPOILER WARNING! Book 4

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (last edited Nov 12, 2011 07:42PM) (new)

Heather (ninjarian) It amazes me that I haven't heard anything from my fellow Inheritance Cycle friends. (Everyone must be reading) But I know some of you, like myself, are finished reading and just DYING to talk about these crazy and twisted turn of events!!
Let's talk about the last book.

I'll start with something simple. To those of you who were pining for the perfect Arya and Eragon romance. HA! It didn't happen and I'm GLAD! I didn't want them to be together (although, I will admit that their romance grew on me more in this last book than it did in any other. Probably because they weren't trying so hard and Arya wasn't so seemingly cold-hearted) On a sadder note, I was excited for Saphira and her relationship with Firnen. It's just sad that the two I wanted to be kept apart impacted the two I wanted to be together...
Arya becoming a dragon rider = predictable and kind of boring. I hoped he wouldn't go with the predictable route, but whatever.
Murtagh and Thorn = BEASTS! Dude I seriously love these guys!! And the Nasuada romance...YEAH! Totally liked that development.

Ok I'll refrain from anymore comments.... Any other takers??

message 2: by Caitlin (last edited Nov 13, 2011 01:21PM) (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 34 comments I had always wanted something to happen with Eragon and Arya's relationship, weither that ment him falling out of love or them getting together. But I didn't like this ending where they admitted to falling for eachother but nothing came of it.

I agree that Arya becoming the rider we all new was going to happen and I agree I wish that it hadn't been so predictable.

I really wish that we found out what happened to Murtagh and Thorn and how they delt with what they where forced to do, also if anything else happened to Murtagh and Nasuada's relationship.

Finally I hate to say it but this would have been the book for an epiloge, say 10,50, or 100 years down the road to find out what happened with, well everything.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 5 comments I throughly enjoyed the last book. I thought it was well written although i admit im disappointed with the way he tease4d us about the Eragon arya relationship. I did see her becoming a dragon rider and thought it was a nice touch although predictable. I thought the chapters with Nasuada and Murtagh were very interesting as well as seeing Gallabtroix for the first time. Howver, I thought the last battle bewteen eragon and him was a bit lacking. The king was OP and it seemed way too lucky. I was hoping for a more climatic battle. Does anyone else share this view?

message 4: by Heather (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Kevin wrote: "...However, I thought the last battle between Eragon and him was a bit lacking. The king was OP and it seemed way too lucky. I was hoping for a more climatic battle. Does anyone else share this view?"

Kevin I agree! I thought it was very anti-climatic and too simple. I was confused why Murtagh so easily had his true name changed. I thought Galbatorix would be more careful of holding onto his "vessels". Partially, Paolini has painted Eragon as constantly weak and simple...I think he tried to make him more than we've always seen him to be...so that's probably why we feel that the last battle was too easy and lucky. We didn't get the shift from weak to powerful (which he seemed to do in a large jump in this last book). I was disappointed also. I would have preferred if Galbatorix committed suicide or something else.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 5 comments Also towards the end it felt kind of rushed. Thats the only way i could can put it. I guess he thought the book was long enough i just feel like he didnt try very hard on the ending

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments I just finished reading and I can't even...like so many things are going through my head right now!!! I have to organize my thoughts and figure out all the things I did and didn't like. Then I will most definitely contribute to this discussion! I can't wwait to hear more of what others thought of the last book!

Just one thing...I definitely like how he left room for development of more stories of Eragon and the Riders. That's one of the main things I really enjoyed! :) More discussions soon to come I think!

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 5 comments Brittany wrote: "I just finished reading and I can't even...like so many things are going through my head right now!!! I have to organize my thoughts and figure out all the things I did and didn't like. Then I will..."

I agree. I think he should write another book about eragon training the riders and where the story goes from there. I think that would be very interesting

Teresa Mary Rose (teresamaryrose) So, was it just me or was anyone else hoping that the leaving Alagaesia part of the fortune would turn out to have some sort of twist. Meaning, that he wouldn't actually leave Alagaesia forever, but that when the Varden won they changed the name of the country or something stupid like that. I know this seems far fetched, I think I just didn't want to accept that Eragon would actually leave. That ending was just too bittersweet for me.

I also loved seeing more Murtagh. He quickly became one of my favorite characters in the first book, and then Paolini ripped him away from me in Eldest. So seeing him again (in a non-"I want to kill Eragon setting") was exciting. In my head, after him and Thorn go North for a while and clear their heads, they go off and join Eragon wherever he ends up.(I tend to make up my own endings when things don't end up the way I like.)

I too am upset by the Arya-Eragon non-relationship. Not necessilary because I loved their relationship and needed them to be together, more because I expected it and wanted Eragon to finally get the girl he has wanted. I wanted him to have his happy ending after defeating Galbatorix.

While I have lots of complaints, overall I did really like the book and it was very well written. In heinsight the ending does make sense to me. Someone has to stay in Alagaesia and make sure the new Riders know how to get to Eragon for training, and Arya is the clear choice for this job, since she is the only one Eragon can completely trust with this.

I too want him to write another book with the new Riders in the future, or maybe one that goes more into Brom's backstory. Brom is a badass and that would probably be interesting.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Teresa wrote: "So, was it just me or was anyone else hoping that the leaving Alagaesia part of the fortune would turn out to have some sort of twist..."

Yeah, I don't know. I loved the book (don't get me wrong) but after the first three I never expected him to go with all this predictable stuff. (So I guess ultimately I was taken by surprise :P) Such as leaving Alagaesia. I was hoping he would take a different path in that development also.

message 10: by Teresa Mary Rose (new)

Teresa Mary Rose (teresamaryrose) Heather wrote: "Yeah, I don't know. I loved the book (don't get me wrong) but after the first three I never expected him to go with all this predictable stuff. ..."

I know what you mean, I never expected Angela's prediction to be that clear-cut. I expected more twists. It was a little bit of a let down.

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Sue (nataliesue25) Caitlin wrote: "I had always wanted something to happen with Eragon and Arya's relationship, weither that ment him falling out of love or them getting together. But I didn't like this ending where they admitted to..."

I know! I felt exactly the same way when I turned the last page. My heart aches I want more Inheritance D:
I hope he writes more books about Alagaesia's new batch of dragon riders.

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Sue (nataliesue25) Heather wrote: "Kevin wrote: "...However, I thought the last battle between Eragon and him was a bit lacking. The king was OP and it seemed way too lucky. I was hoping for a more climatic battle. Does anyone else ..."

Didn't he commit suicide? The way I understood it he couldn't handle the pain the spell had placed on him and he just killed himself with his own magic. I actually really liked the way he died because it was just so Eragon style. No one else could have though of something so simple.

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Sue (nataliesue25) Heather wrote: "It amazes me that I haven't heard anything from my fellow Inheritance Cycle friends. (Everyone must be reading) But I know some of you, like myself, are finished reading and just DYING to talk abou..."

The book in so many ways didn't even feel like and ending of the series but the beginning of a new one. I was nearly driven crazy by the amount of things that he left unsaid.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Natalie wrote: "The book in so many ways didn't even feel like an ending..."

Agreed!!!

And as per Galbatorix's death, I took it to mean he committed suicide also, unless Eragon's sword fatally wounded him to imminent death..? I'm confused also.
What is the perspective of everyone else how Galbatorix died?

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments I believe that Galbatorix killed himself. That's how I interpreted it when I read that part. The psychological pain he felt from Eragon's spell made him feel like he could no longer go on so he used the spell that other Rider used on Vroengard to commit suicide.

message 16: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments I would have thought this would be the most active group on goodreads right now. Here are my thoughts. Why does Eragon HAVE to leave and NEVER return? Just to fulfill a prophecy?

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments Brianne wrote: "I would have thought this would be the most active group on goodreads right now. Here are my thoughts. Why does Eragon HAVE to leave and NEVER return? Just to fulfill a prophecy?"

I don't think he left because he was TRYING to fulfill the prophecy. He knew about it but I think he made the decision based on what was the best choice for him and Saphira, as well as the future Dragon Riders of Alagaesia. I mean, he didn't know for sure if that prophecy would come true or not. There were parts of it that came true in different ways than he expected so he didn't know for sure if that would actually happen in the way it was described in the prophecy. I don't really think the prophecy had any influence on him making the decision. It wasn't like "Oh this prophecy said I'm going to leave forever, so I have to decide something where that will happen."

message 18: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments Well... I don't see why Eragon would never come back to visit. Cause Nasuada asked him and he was all like, "Well the prophesy said this..." He could have made a conscious decision to come back. I think him saying he'll never return is just compensation for Paolini making a pointlessly ominous prophecy before.

A little dramatic in my opinion.

message 19: by Teresa Mary Rose (new)

Teresa Mary Rose (teresamaryrose) Brianne wrote: "Well... I don't see why Eragon would never come back to visit. Cause Nasuada asked him and he was all like, "Well the prophesy said this..." He could have made a conscious decision to come back. I ..."

I agree that it was a bit dramatic, but I also think it was a way for Paolini to wrap up the series with relatively few loose ends while also getting Eragon free from the many political entanglements he is in. If he would have stayed, he would have never been "free" to do his dragon rider duties because someone or other would have needed him for something. The same holds true if he would have told people he would return. All of the political attachments he has made throughout the war would have kept calling him back. If he didn't leave and tell people he could never return, he would have never had the time to raise and train the new dragon riders. Making Eragon leave, while heartwrenching and dramatic, is really the only solution he had. Also, people would have never accepted Eragon staying and him and Arya not getting together, and Paolini really couldn't get them together even if he did stay. While I was an Arya/Eragon fan, it would have been out of character for Arya to all of a sudden be okay with a relationship just because the series is ending basically.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments I'm sure he'll go back to Alagaesia once the new Riders are established. I think it just meant he wouldn't ever go back to Alagaesia to live.

message 21: by A.S. (new)

A.S. Hendra (AHendrad) | 3 comments Just finished reading it this week! And I LOVE the ending, although the last few chapters feel more like 'dawdling' after Galbatorix's death. But I think it fits it, especially with Eragon eventually left Alagaesia. It's similar to the ending of LOTR: dawdling last chapters and the main character leaves everything behind.

But I don't think it's a good idea if Eragon would come back to Alagaesia. It'll feel ... half-arse, if you excuse my expression. Eragon has made a big decision not to come back, so he shouldn't come back no matter what happens. If Paolini wanted to make a sequel series (though I'm absolutely against it, since I never read sequels of books that already have excellent endings), it's better if Eragon doesn't appear in Alagaesia anymore, and even if they need his help, they could send the main character to face him in his place, much like Eragon has done when going to meet Oromis. In any way -- and I know I'm being cruel when saying this -- I don't want Eragon to come back to Alagaesia; it'd ruin the ending.

message 22: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments Anyone else find the hidden eggs a little annoying? A little convenient? It was the main reason Eragon had to leave. Plus the whole story being the last of the dragons was a big deal, then all the sudden. Bam! Problem solved.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 5 comments Aldy wrote: " Eragon has made a big decision not to come back, so he shouldn't come back no matter what happens. If Paolini wanted to make a sequel series (though I'm absolutely against it, since I never read sequels of books that already have excellent endings), it's better if Eragon doesn't appear in Alagaesia anymore, and even if they need his help, they could send the main character to face him in his place, much like Eragon has done when going to meet Oromis. In any way -- and I know I'm being cruel when saying this -- I don't want Eragon to come back to Alagaesia; it'd ruin the ending."
I disagree. in my mind thats not how the old riders were. I think eragon would be expected to come back once the riders begn to thrive. whats the point of the riders if they dont keep the peace?

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Brianne wrote: "Anyone else find the hidden eggs a little annoying? A little convenient? It was the main reason Eragon had to leave. Plus the whole story being the last of the dragons was a big deal, then all the ..."

I found a lot of it annoyingly conveniently. What I've loved about this series so much was its unpredictability, but Paolini lost that in his last book. The stored up eggs, Eldunari, Galbatorix death. It's disappointing. If you're going to make Galbatorix an immortal that can't be killed, then make it harder to kill him!
The book apart from the series is actually very interesting...but the book as linked with the series is...well, lacking a lot.
This is my personal view. I've always been a die hard Paolini fan, but this kind of ruins it for me. I feel like he brought out book three (which was supposed to be the last book) and forced everything else to fill a fourth book.

message 25: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments Yeah. I must have read eldest a thousand times, but brisinger and inheritance sort of killed it for me.

message 26: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer | 10 comments I seriously nedded a happy ending between Arya and Eragon.. Now I'm gonna walk around all depressed the next couple of weeks.

message 27: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments Yeah I'm upset that Eragon and Arya didn't end up together! :( But I think CP left some stuff unsaid between them and that left room for their relationship to grow with the formation of the new dragon Riders.

message 28: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments well, he couldn't just make her not interested. he had to change it so she was interested then they COULDN'T be together.

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Brittany wrote: "Yeah I'm upset that Eragon and Arya didn't end up together! :( But I think CP left some stuff unsaid between them and that left room for their relationship to grow with the formation of the new dra..."

Yes, but he sacrificed some of his fans by doing so. Now there will be people who won't be much interested in what he's writing because the fourth book was so poorly done... People will only read another book to see if he resolves anything from the series and resolves them in an appeasable manner...if not, he's going to lose a lot of people.

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments I don't think that people should judge an author based on how they end the plot of one book! I mean if readers decide not to read anything else he writes just because they were upset with the ending of Inheritance, then that's their loss! I think he already said that he won't write anymore of this particular storyline with Eragon and the same characters, like continuing the story. But he said he might write new stories with some of the same characters or a prequel about the original dragon Riders. So if people are looking for more closure regarding the Inheritance Cycle, I think they'll be sadly disappointed.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) I'm sorry. I was just being critical. This is just my speculation of what MIGHT happen. :)

message 32: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments It wasn't just the ending of a book. It was the ending of a series! Kind of a big deal. I hope he writes a little mini-story that's sort of like a "19 years later" bit. If you've read harry potter.

I need closure!

message 33: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer | 10 comments Brianne wrote: "It wasn't just the ending of a book. It was the ending of a series! Kind of a big deal. I hope he writes a little mini-story that's sort of like a "19 years later" bit. If you've read harry potter...."

I agree! I just don't think something like "19 years later" would work? If theres gonna be any mini-stories, i dont think it's going to be with Eragon or Arya... Even if that would be AWESOME! I hope we're going to hear something about Angela, or the woman and the teenage-girl, also just to cut the loose ends in the books. :)

message 34: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments Yeah I think if he writes any other stories based on the characters in the Inheritance Cycle it will be about other characters that weren't as central to the story, such as Wolfeyes and Bladesinger who just made a few short appearances. Or Angela, even though she was a fairly important character. I'd like to see him write a prequel as I said about Brom and the original Dragon Riders. That would be awesome to hear a bunch of the history in first person narrative from the POVs of the original Riders! Or even if he did a sequel to the cycle but it didn't include the main characters from Inheritance. Like it could be about the new Riders and just mention Eragon and company etc.

message 35: by Teresa Mary Rose (new)

Teresa Mary Rose (teresamaryrose) Brittany wrote: "Yeah I think if he writes any other stories based on the characters in the Inheritance Cycle it will be about other characters that weren't as central to the story, such as Wolfeyes and Bladesinger..."

I agree, I don't think Eragon or any of the other main characters are going to be the center of any future books. Angela would be the obvious choice, because he even stated at the end that he left a lot unsaid about her. However, my choice would be Brom. He was a great character and we did not get to see nearly enough of him. I would like to see a prequel that shows the events leading up to Gallbatorix's takeover.

Also, on a sidenote, did it bother anyone else that we never really find out what the Menoa Tree took from Eragon. I don't know if I missed something or if Paolini just left it open? It was a small part, but it kind of irks me not knowing.

message 36: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer | 10 comments Yes! Before i opened the book i really thought The Menoa Tree would take something important from Eragon? But such a simple solution was... well, quite unexpected?

message 37: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments Teresa I was super disappointed about that!!! I don't understand what the Menoa tree took...CP never really explained it. Was it implied anywhere? If it was I completely missed it! Did anyone else catch anything about that?

message 38: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments I think maybe Paolini didn't know what to put there. Haha.

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Brittany wrote: "Teresa I was super disappointed about that!!!"

Haha. I'm with you on this one!!! Disappointment sucks.

message 40: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Sue (nataliesue25) Teresa wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Yeah I think if he writes any other stories based on the characters in the Inheritance Cycle it will be about other characters that weren't as central to the story, such as Wolfeye..."

I thought it had just forgiven him. It had not occurred to me that it took something without him even realizing :O
Everyone seems to have different interpretations of this book but hey it makes for interesting discussions :)

message 41: by Teresa Mary Rose (new)

Teresa Mary Rose (teresamaryrose) The reason I thought the Menoa Tree took something was because in Brisinger when the tree had a hold of him and asked what he would give, Paolini wrote that Eragon had a strange feeling in his lower abdomen. So I spent most of my time between Brisinger and Inheritance trying to figure out what that feeling meant. To have it turn out to be nothing kinda drove me crazy. I really thought it was going to play a pivotal role in the novel.

message 42: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) Brittany wrote: "Teresa I was super disappointed about that!!! I don't understand what the Menoa tree took...CP never really explained it. Was it implied anywhere? If it was I completely missed it! Did anyone else ..."

He doesn't bring up the Menoa tree till the end....but it was nothing so I guess nothing important to Cp

message 43: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittyyoda) | 287 comments I know I thought it was going to be addressed somewhere in Inheritance. It kind of irritated me that he never went back to it because in Brisingr it was made to be like such an important plot point. I don't know maybe we'll never know. Unless CP saved the explanation for another book? But I highly doubt that...

message 44: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer | 10 comments Well... I don't think that guy is important in particular? I think that CP only added him as a character, becouse it would have been a little weird if Selena was the only on besides Eragon who had her fortune readen? He had to invent a mysterious character in that situation?

message 45: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer | 10 comments Haha, oh! Sorry..
Well... There's quite a lot of different details that CP has to remember, so yeah... Maybe he forgot him. ;)

message 46: by Christoffer (new)

Christoffer | 10 comments By the way... Does anyone know how old Eragon was at the end?

message 47: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (briaq) | 38 comments Hehehe...I got to see Mr. Paolini on my birthday last Monday, AND get a copy of Inheritance. We were going to get it signed until he said "Let's try to get this signing finished by midnight". But, still. We learned some cool Eragon facts.

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Learned some cool Eragon facts??? DO TELL! :D

message 49: by Selena (new)

Selena | 1 comments i havent read the book but im just curious what happened to roran and katrina????does anyone know???

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Hahaha... don't tell her! Nobody tell her! :D Read the book Selena... you don't want us to spoil it for you. :P

« previous 1