Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

A Chip in His Shoulder (Falling Sky, #1)
This topic is about A Chip in His Shoulder
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: LA Witt of A Chip In His Shoulder (November 13 - November 17)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dee (last edited Nov 12, 2011 07:20PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments About L.A. Witt
L.A. Witt is an M/M erotica writer who, after three years in Okinawa, Japan, has recently relocated to Omaha, Nebraska, with her husband, two cats, and a three-headed clairvoyant parakeet named Fred. There is some speculation that this move was not actually because of her husband’s military orders, but to help L.A. close in on her arch nemesis, erotica author Lauren Gallagher, who has also recently transferred to Omaha. So, don’t anyone tell Lauren. She’s not getting away this time…

She also writes as Lauren Gallagher.

Website
http://www.loriawitt.com/

Booklist
Static by L.A. Witt The Given & The Taken Tooth & Claw, Book 1 by L.A. Witt On The List (Changing Plans #3) by L.A. Witt A Chip in His Shoulder by L.A. Witt Search Me (Cover Me, #3) by L.A. Witt Ex Equals (Hot College Daze) by L.A. Witt Rules of Engagement by L.A. Witt Trust Me (Cover Me, #2) by L.A. Witt The Best Man by L.A. Witt The Closer You Get by L.A. Witt With the Band by L.A. Witt The Distance Between Us by L.A. Witt Nine-Tenths of the Law by L.A. Witt Infinity Pools by L.A. Witt Cover Me by L.A. Witt Out of Focus by L.A. Witt

Giveaway
LA will be giving away one ebook copy of A Chip in His Shoulder and one copy of The Closer You Get and one selection of her backlist (of which part is listed above). This will be open worldwide.

message 2: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments *sits down and grabs a cup of coffee* Ask away, folks. The doctor...er, author is in. :D

L. A. Witt

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Welcome LA/Lori, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

If participants could bold their questions, it makes it easier for LA to see them and answer! Thanks!

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19881 comments Hi Lori!

I'm new to these forums, but I have recently become a convert to M/M romance. I find that the conflicts and interactions are much more realistic and believable than traditional contemporary romance.

As a relative newby to this genre - which of your books would you recommend as a good introduction to your writing?

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 20 comments Hi LA :)

I love the cover art from your books. How much say do you get with regards to what cover design is used?

message 6: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Hi Lori!

I'm new to these forums, but I have recently become a convert to M/M romance. I find that the conflicts and interactions are much more realistic and believable than traditional contempor..."

For an introduction to my writing, it depends on what you like. If you like just a basic contemporary erotic romance, then I'd go with The Best Man, Rules of Engagement, or the Changing Plans series (Getting off the Ground, Infinity Pools, and On The List). If you like something a little spicier, try The Distance Between Us, which is an all-male menage...or Out of Focus, which is an all-male menage with BDSM. And for those who like romantic suspense, there's the Cover Me series (Cover Me, Trust Me, and soon to be out Search Me). So, there's a little something for everyone. :D

message 7: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Kate wrote: "Hi LA :)

I love the cover art from your books. How much say do you get with regards to what cover design is used?"

All of my publishers ask for input on cover design -- ideas, what characters look like, what I DON'T want, feedback on cover drafts, etc -- but the publisher makes the final decision. Sometimes, they're absolutely perfect on the first try (Static, With the Band, Search Me), others have gone back and forth a few times until we all agree.

message 8: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3588 comments Hi, LA! Thanks so much for being here.

I know that I was drawn to m/m romance as a reader after reading m/m/f menage. A lot of times I was much more interested in the m/m part of things and kinda forgot about that "f" in there. LOL

What is it about the m/m genre that has driven you to write m/m romances?

message 9: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Hi, LA! Thanks so much for being here.

What is it about the m/m genre that has driven you to write m/m romances?

I'm not even sure I could put my finger on what drives me to write M/M. I mean, I write hetero too, but I really enjoy writing M/M. Something about M/M relationships and stories just "click" for me.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

First off, I have to say, you are one of my absolute favorite M/M authors. You write some of the hottest chemistry between your characters that I have come across, well, anywhere. You can just FEEL the heat coming off the page ( or out of the ereader).

For my question- I have noticed you jumping into several different themes in your books- straight up contemp romance, BDSM, suspense, and even some with more fantasy/sci fi aspects. What is your favorite type of world and why? And what is your least favorite world to write in or to read?

message 11: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Smut Bitch wrote: "First off, I have to say, you are one of my absolute favorite M/M authors. You write some of the hottest chemistry between your characters that I have come across, well, anywhere. You can just FEEL..."

Thank you so much!!

""For my question- I have noticed you jumping into several different themes in your books- straight up contemp romance, BDSM, suspense, and even some with more fantasy/sci fi aspects. What is your favorite type of world and why? And what is your least favorite world to write in or to read?""

I have to pick a favorite??? *trembles* To be honest, I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. They all have their perks and drawbacks. Suspense gets into really gritty stuff, but is definitely more challenging to plot out (not that this is bad, just means it's more work). Steampunk and cyberpunk mean playing with new and bizarre technology. BDSM taps into some really intense human psychology and fascinating relationship dynamics. Contemporary is just fun. I really couldn't pick one, which is why I write a little of everything. :D

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19881 comments L.A. wrote: "If you like just a basic contemporary erotic romance, then I'd go with The Best Man, Rules of Engagement, or the Changing Plans series (Getting off the Ground, Infinity Pools, and On The List). If you like something a little spicier, try The Distance Between Us, which is an all-male menage...or Out of Focus, which is an all-male menage with BDSM. And for those who like romantic suspense, there's the Cover Me series (Cover Me, Trust Me, and soon to be out Search Me)...."

Thanks Lori - I'm open to pretty much everything, and I bought Rules of Engagement the other day but haven't yet had time to read it, so I might try one from each of your suggested areas. :)

message 13: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Thanks Lori - I'm open to pretty much everything, and I bought Rules of Engagement the other day but haven't yet had time to read it, so I might try one from each of your suggested areas. :)

Enjoy! Rules of Engagement also has a short sequel, Rain. Kind of weird -- I set out to write standalone books, and a bunch of them have grown sequels. lol

Anyway. Enjoy Rules! Brandon and Dustin are still one of my favorite pairs. <3

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Rules is one of the first M/M books I ever read, and it's one I re-read often. LOVE it.

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Welcome LA! Thanks for joining us and chatting about your books.

I really enjoy Contemporary romance and also stories that are on the shorter side. I have my eye on your Changing Plans series!

Do you have a preference in writing shorter or longer stories? Is one easier for you to write over the other?

message 16: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Fran wrote: "Welcome LA! Thanks for joining us and chatting about your books.

I really enjoy Contemporary romance and also stories that are on the shorter side. I have my eye on your Changing Plans series!
..."

Hope you enjoy them!

Do you have a preference in writing shorter or longer stories? Is one easier for you to write over the other?

I don't really have a preference. Novels and novellas each present their own challenges and have their own advantages (novels have more room for subtle character development, novellas are generally simpler in terms of story line), but I don't prefer one over the other. Just depends on what how long a particular story needs to be.

I have *tried* to write the odd short story here and there, but it's rare. Not because I dislike them or anything, it's just that the stories in my head usually need a bit more room. Case in point: I tried to write a short story about three guys getting involved in a BDSM relationship.

*cough*

Yeah. 98,000 words later...Out of Focus. :D So much for a short story.

message 17: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Hi LA and welcome. You've got quite an impressive number of books written. Start to finish, how long does it usually take you to write a book?

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 26 comments I've been reading erotica for several years, but just in the last year or so started reading M/M. Lately I've been really intrigued by some of the transgender books that are available.

I am so amazed by your creativity! Static is a book that I could never in a million years have thought to write. How did you come up with the general storyline?

message 19: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Iris wrote: "Hi LA and welcome. You've got quite an impressive number of books written. Start to finish, how long does it usually take you to write a book?"

Right now, I'm writing fairly slowly because I'm in the middle of relocating, but in general:

Novellas: 4-8 days
Novels: 2-6 weeks
Longer novels (100K+): 5-8 weeks

L. A.

message 20: by Mandy (last edited Nov 13, 2011 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mandy Beyers (mandybeyers) | 763 comments Ok, I'm amazed at both your backlist and the speed at which you write!

What is your best advice for a new or aspiring author? (And yes, trite is fine as long as it's from the heart! LOL)

message 21: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments I am so amazed by your creativity! Static is a book that I could never in a million years have thought to write. How did you come up with the general storyline?

Thank you! Static is my favorite out of my backlist. It was also one of the most difficult to write (the single hardest being Reconstructing Meredith, which is a dark BDSM novel I wrote as Lauren Gallagher).

As for the storyline...basically, I was playing around with a shapeshifter idea. Around the same time, I'd gotten a serious education in transgender and genderqueer issues from author M Jules Aedin, and was in a headspace where I really needed to process all that information. Writing is how I process most things, so I had a feeling I'd be writing something involving TG/GQ issues at some point.

So there I was, tinkering with the shapeshifter train of though, and it occurred to me, what if a shapeshifter could shift GENDERS instead of species? And from there, what if someone LOST that ability? Alex's character immediately came to life in my head, and Damon wasn't far behind. I actually had to put a work-in-progress aside for three weeks because once Static set up shop in my brain, I HAD to write it NOW.

message 22: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Mandy wrote: "Ok, I'm amazed at both your backlist and the speed at which you write!

What is your best advice for a new or aspiring author? (And yes, trite is fine as long as it's from the heart! LOL)"

Write. Write. Write. Also, be persistent with both fictional and real people. Your characters won't always cooperate, and you might get a lot of rejections from agents/editors (not to mention negative reviews later on down the line), but be persistent, keep trying, and keep writing.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 26 comments Amazing...... Must check out Reconstructing Meredith. Love dark BDSM. And shifters. And menage.... Aw heck - I just love it all!

message 24: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Wow! I'll have to agree with Mandy. That is incredibly fast writing!

message 25: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Cindy (eclecticfirefly) wrote: "Amazing...... Must check out Reconstructing Meredith. Love dark BDSM. And shifters. And menage.... Aw heck - I just love it all!"

It's definitely dark...basically, the story of a Dominant trying to help a traumatized submissive reclaim her sexuality.

message 26: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Iris wrote: "Wow! I'll have to agree with Mandy. That is incredibly fast writing!"

hehe I should mention, I do this full-time. I couldn't begin to guess how many actual hours go into each book, but I'm at the computer (and actually working!) anywhere from 8-16 hours a day. It's a lot of hours condensed into fewer days than if I were doing this part-time.

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19881 comments L.A. wrote: "hehe I should mention, I do this full-time. I couldn't begin to guess how many actual hours go into each book, b..."

It sounds as if you are very happy in your current space, however... Are you where you want to be with your writing, or do you hope to expand or move into other areas of fiction?

message 28: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Are you where you want to be with your writing, or do you hope to expand or move into other areas of fiction?

I won't ever be satisfied with my writing...meaning, there's always room for improvement, and I want to keep getting better. As far as other areas of fiction, I really like writing romance, so I don't see that going away, but I will probably add other genres as I go. I'd like to get back into writing epic fantasy, which is where I cut my teeth when learning to write in the first place, and I might even try my hand at literary one day...but romance isn't going away. :)

message 29: by Desiree (new)

Desiree reilly (desitheblonde) | 37 comments hi my name is desi and i do read up to 4 book a week what i would like to know how long do you research the book or the person you write about are they any of them real people
your cover since you have no choice do you feel that they pick the wrong pic on t hem i have some book and i think they put the wong guy on it
3 do you have book marks or cover on the books
to give away
do you do nor and get on chat there

message 30: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments how long do you research the book or the person you write about are they any of them real people

I don't write about real people, no, though occasionally personality quirks of people I know will work their way in.

As for research, it depends on the story. Suspense/thrillers like Cover Me and Trust Me require a lot more than basic contemporary romances. I'll usually research if a character has an unusual occupation that plays a role in the story. So, a book can require any amount of research, just depends on the particular story.

your cover since you have no choice do you feel that they pick the wrong pic on t hem i have some book and i think they put the wong guy on it

Sometimes it just comes down to "pick your battles". A guy on the cover might not be *exactly* what I had in mind, but the cover is otherwise great, and I don't want to make waves or come across as a diva by digging my heels in over every cover. So unless it's *really* awful, I usually won't argue too much. And believe me, I've had some bad ones that have never seen the light of day...

3 do you have book marks or cover on the books

Not yet. I just moved back to the States, and wanted to wait to order anything until I'm settled in (don't want them getting lost while I'm moving). But soon I'll have bookmarks and such to give away!

Lori

message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments L.A.,

I just finished Getting Off The Ground Getting Off The Ground (Changing Plans #1) by L.A. Witt and LOVED it! That was one super hot and at the same time romantic story. I cannot wait to read the sequel, Infinity Pools.

message 32: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11055 comments Did you picture anyone in particular when writing Elliot and Derek?

I kind of envisioned Channing Tatum or Alexander Skarsgard for Derek and maybe Ian Somerhalder (but I usually picture him, lol!) for Elliot.

message 33: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Fran wrote: "Did you picture anyone in particular when writing Elliot and Derek?

I kind of envisioned Channing Tatum or Alexander Skarsgard for Derek and maybe Ian Somerhalder (but I usually picture him, lol..."

So glad you enjoyed it! Those two were fun...especially in Infinity Pools. :D

I do have pictures to go with each character (I do this with every book), but I never reveal them publicly. I prefer to let readers picture whoever they will. :D

message 34: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments L.A., some would consider your writing kind of controversial since you are writing M/M romances. And obviously that's not for everyone. (Personally I don't care their how many people are involved, the gender or what planet they're from in some instances, so long as at some point they all walked on 2 legs. The hotter the better. lol) How do you deal with the criticism from the more strightlaced romantics? Do you even read reviews on your work? (We've learned that some authors try not to read the reviews at all or they're tempted to go back and change things.)

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Hey LA - thanks for joining us. You said that you have pictures for each character that you create - do you do anything else to help you develop the character - songs that remind you of them etc

message 36: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments Hi L.A ^-^

Do other storys pop up in your head when your working on something else?

message 37: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments L.A., some would consider your writing kind of controversial since you are writing M/M romances. And obviously that's not for everyone. (Personally I don't care their how many people are involved, the gender or what planet they're from in some instances, so long as at some point they all walked on 2 legs. The hotter the better. lol)

It goes both ways, to be honest. I have as many M/M readers who WILL NOT read hetero as the other way around. To each their own, I say, so I write both. :D

How do you deal with the criticism from the more strightlaced romantics? Do you even read reviews on your work? (We've learned that some authors try not to read the reviews at all or they're tempted to go back and change things.)

I try not to read reviews. If one is brought to my attention (and they often are), I can't NOT go read it. lol I just find that they make me sweat bullets and bite my nails over things in a story that I can't go back and change. I do have a personal rule that I don't read reviews that are less than 4 stars (with some exceptions for 3.5 ratings). It's not out of any snobbishness or being a diva...I just find that the more critical reviews end up giving me crazy anxiety over things I can't change. If I know about a 3.5 or less review, I'll have someone else read it for me, and they'll pass on any particular criticism I can apply to future books (i.e., a phrase I use too often, something about the plot, etc). But for the sake of my sanity, I've found it better to avoid them. (I fully appreciate reviewers, BTW! Don't get me wrong! I just think they're more for the benefit of readers than for authors.)

Anyway. As far as criticism from straightlaced romantics, I really haven't gotten any that I can think of. I've had some people in real life turn up their noses at my gay and/or kinky stuff, and it mostly irritates me that they're blatantly rude about it. A family friend called my genre "trash" to my face. That kind of stuff bugs me, and I'll usually call them out on it, which shuts them down pretty quickly. MOST of the time, though, people don't give me any grief about the content of my work.

message 38: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Dee wrote: "Hey LA - thanks for joining us. You said that you have pictures for each character that you create - do you do anything else to help you develop the character - songs that remind you of them etc"

I'll sometimes have a particular album that I listen to a lot when I write a certain book. It won't necessarily have anything to do with the book, just happens to be what I'm listening to at the time, and so I'll replay it to help me get in the mood to work on it. An example that comes to mind: while writing Infinity Pools, I was on a Ke$ha kick (Yes, I have horrible taste in music. DON'T JUDGE ME). Always listened to her while I wrote the story. To this day, certain songs will remind me of specific scenes from that book.

As far as characters, they tend to develop on their own. Once I have a photo to go with them, their personality comes through as I write.

message 39: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Teri wrote: "Hi L.A ^-^

Do other storys pop up in your head when your working on something else?"

ALL. THE FREAKING. TIME.

Static came to me while I was writing Infinity Pools. Out of Focus was bouncing around in my head while I was writing With the Band. At this very moment, I'm TRYING to write Where There's Smoke, but both I'll Show You Mine AND For The Living are demanding attention. I've finally gotten to the point I have to work on more than one story at a time, or else they just refuse to shut up.

message 40: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments haha Nice XD

How many books would you say you own?

message 41: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Teri wrote: "haha Nice XD

How many books would you say you own?"

At last count, we had around 4,500. I would say we're creeping up on 5,000 now. Most of them have been in storage for the last 3 years (weight limit when we moved to Japan precluded us from bringing them all), but I'm about to be reunited with ALL OF MY BOOKS when I get to Nebraska in December! :D

L. A.

message 42: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments L.A. wrote: (I fully appreciate reviewers, BTW! Don't get me wrong! I just think they're more for the benefit of readers than for authors.)

God no! Obviously you appreciate the readers otherwise you wouldn't be here answering all our questions which I'm sure you've heard many many times before. lol I just wondered if you read them and if any negative ones bothered you, especially when the reviews if they're about the genre, not the quality of the work.

message 43: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments God no! Obviously you appreciate the readers otherwise you wouldn't be here answering all our questions which I'm sure you've heard many many times before. lol

Actually, you guys are coming up with some I haven't gotten, so no worries there. :D Carry on!

I just wondered if you read them and if any negative ones bothered you, especially when the reviews if they're about the genre, not the quality of the work.

I really haven't gotten much criticism about the genre, now that I think about it. Some people turn up their noses at gay romance, but...*shrug*...some people turn up their noses at ANY romance, so I try not to sweat it.

message 44: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments O.O oh wow that's alot lol I'm glade you'll be reunited soon ^-^

What was your favorite book growing up?

message 45: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Teri wrote: "O.O oh wow that's alot lol I'm glade you'll be reunited soon ^-^

What was your favorite book growing up?"

The Stand by Stephen King. I think I've read that book like a dozen times since I was 12 or 13.

Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews (fullmoonbites) | 2 comments Hi. :)

I have not read one of your books yet *ducks thrown objects from fans* but I want to!! I just haven’t gotten the chance to pick one up yet!

My question is: If you could live in a world you have created; which would it be and why?

message 47: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Holly (Full Moon Bites) wrote: "Hi. :)

I have not read one of your books yet *ducks thrown objects from fans* but I want to!! I just haven’t gotten the chance to pick one up yet!

No worries! My books aren't going anywhere. :D

If you could live in a world you have created; which would it be and why?

Hmm, interesting question. Probably the one from the Changing Plans series. Hey, I could think of worse places to live than a luxury house on Maui with two hot guys and an infinity pool in the backyard...

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jane (PS) | 19881 comments Me again, Lori :)

Clearly you are busy writing for a lot of the time. But when you get the chance to relax, does your downtime include reading other authors' material, and if so, do you have some auto-buy' authors?

message 49: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments And ofcourse Jane's question practically begs this one to be asked... What do you do when you're not writing or doing research for your books? Just for fun?

message 50: by L.A. (new) - added it

L.A. Witt (gallagherwitt) | 51 comments Clearly you are busy writing for a lot of the time. But when you get the chance to relax, does your downtime include reading other authors' material, and if so, do you have some auto-buy' authors?

I don't read a lot of romance, believe it or not. It's not a dislike for the genre or anything, but I tend to be drawn toward classics, SFF, etc. I read for escapism, and sometimes that means escaping the genre I write. Of course I read to keep up on my genre, but when I read for pleasure, it's usually science fiction, fantasy, or the odd Hemingway or Nabokov book. Right now, I'm reading The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood, and loving it.

« previous 1 3