What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Christmas book, farm, bright colors

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amena (last edited Nov 12, 2011 01:04PM) (new)

Amena | 27 comments Dear all,
I'm looking for a book I had when I was a kid (back in the late 1980s) and that was so wonderful that I want to give it to my godchild this Christmas. It would be great if you could help me.

It was set on a farm, and I think the animals there (I definitely remember a cow, maybe named Milly) talked and prepared for Christmas in, unfortunately, very common, run-of-the-mill ways: preparing dinner, finding and felling a tree... so there's not much of a plot.

This book was so very special because of the illustrations. The colors were saturated and very bright - no soft strokes, certainly no pastel etc. Everything radiated brightness and energy.
The drawings themselves were in tune: Very naive, large surfaces, no nuances, sharp contrasts...
I especially remember white snowflakes (rather like round snowballs due to the style!) set against a dark blue background (maybe back of cover?).
The style somewhat resembles this:

http://games.softlandmark.com/images/...

Now this is something of a long shot as I'm German and don't know where this book is originally from. However, loads of American and UK books get translated into German, and I somehow have a hunch that this book was not German originally. Maybe the names seemed odd to me as a child.
I've already tried to find it via a German messageboard, but no luck. It would be great if I found it here.

Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Amena, are you still looking for this book?

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments How about the Millie books by Alexander Steffensmeier? Though... even the oldest editions not in English don't seem to be old enough for what you want.

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Roger Duvoisin books have bold bright illustrations.

message 5: by Amena (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

Amena | 27 comments Thank you for the effort - unfortunately, neither of the books is the one I'm looking for.

Alexander Steffensmeier's illustrations are far more realistic and detailed than the ones I'm looking for.
Duvoisin gets closer, but is still too detailed. The illustrations I'm looking for are much more abstract, so you wouldn't see the bear's hair as in his books but rather see a large, colourful, bear-shaped blob.
I'd still be delighted to find the book. Next Christmas isn't too far away - who knows, I might make it this time.

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Have you tried searching Christmas books in juvenile fiction on worldcat.org with a year range? Lots of results but worth a try and check Google images and Google books for more details.
As abstract as Frank Asch?
Or Roger Hargreaves?

message 7: by Amena (new)

Amena | 27 comments Thanks for the advice, I'll do that!
Frank Asch's style is definitely close to what I'm looking for.

message 8: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 74 comments Eric Carle's "Dream Snow" is about Christmas on a farm but the content isn't exactly what you describe- might be worth a look, though,.

message 9: by Amena (last edited Sep 28, 2013 02:29PM) (new)

Amena | 27 comments Thanks for the idea. It's not the book I'm looking for, though.
I doubt there were any people in "my" book.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Amena, are you still looking for this?

message 11: by Amena (new)

Amena | 27 comments Yes, I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Amena--if you bump up your thread periodically (every 30 to 90 days is the usual time frame) so that people can see it and remember, you will have a better chance to get it found.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 14: by Amena (new)

Amena | 27 comments Yes, still hoping!

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

How about now?

message 16: by Amena (new)

Amena | 27 comments I'd still appreciate any help.

message 17: by Kris (last edited Nov 16, 2019 03:39PM) (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
A long shot: "The Friendly Beasts of Orchard Hill Farm" (1988) by Gwendolyn McGann Phillips?
Subject: Christmas animals dreams
https://www.worldcat.org/title/friend...

Do you still think there are no people/humans in the story?

This is a picture book (about 32-48 pages), not a chapter book with mostly words?

message 18: by Amena (new)

Amena | 27 comments I'm not a hundred per cent sure about the people, sorry. But you're right, it wasn't a chapter book with mostly words but a picture book with some words.
Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures of "The Friendly Beasts of Orchard Hill Farm", so I have no idea if it's even close. I've looked at Robert Patierno's website, as he is listed as the illustrator and am not sure if that's his style. He certainly COULD draw the way I remember, I just don't know...