Historical Fictionistas discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Historical Fiction Discussions > Have you read????

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Nov 12, 2011 10:13AM) (new) - added it

Melanie (mkdotson) | 18 comments If you have read please comment on your thoughts, I can get on Kindle for $1.99 but wanted to get some thoughts about the story, what you liked or did not like.

Oops I thought I put in the name Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 38 comments What book were you wondering about?

message 3: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (mkdotson) | 18 comments Oops edited my post with the book title.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I just bought that book for my kindle. Great price and some really good reviews...

message 5: by Amy (last edited Nov 12, 2011 11:03AM) (new)

Amy | 74 comments I've had the book on my wishlist for a while so I also downloaded it onto my Kindle today. Don't think I'll be starting it anytime soon, but I thought at $1.99 I couldn't do any better unless it was free.

edited to add - nice avatar Melanie. :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 38 comments I have it on my TBR shelf but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

message 7: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (mkdotson) | 18 comments Amy wrote: "I've had the book on my wishlist for a while so I also downloaded it onto my Kindle today. Don't think I'll be starting it anytime soon, but I thought at $1.99 I couldn't do any better unless it w..."

Thanks love P&P was a huge GWTW fan until I saw this movie, ahhh Mr Darcy :)

Darkpool | 16 comments Read it years ago (Before Goodreads) and found it really funny and fascinating and enjoyable. However most of the friends I recommended it to hated it. I think it's very much a love it or hate it kind of book - not much middle ground.

message 9: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie (mkdotson) | 18 comments Darkpool wrote: "Read it years ago (Before Goodreads) and found it really funny and fascinating and enjoyable. However most of the friends I recommended it to hated it. I think it's very much a love it or hate it k..."

Thanks, that is the impression either love or hate.

message 10: by jb (new) - added it

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I got that book a while ago for $1 at the used book store. I have not read it yet either.

message 11: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - added it

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Darkpool wrote: "Read it years ago (Before Goodreads) and found it really funny and fascinating and enjoyable. However most of the friends I recommended it to hated it. I think it's very much a love it or hate it k..."

I agree and find the same amongst ny GR friends who have read it....either love it or hate, but no middle ground. I started it, but couldn't seem to get into it so I abandon it.

Maggie (mmorrell) | 13 comments I just read it in the last few months. extremely imaginative and clever. By all means, buy it!

message 13: by Shay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shay | 141 comments I really liked this book. I think I gave it 4 stars. I think where some of the dislike for the book comes from is that a lot of the characters are not likeable.

message 14: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments This is an EXCELLENT book. It's pretty dense and the writing voice may take some time to get used to...it's set in Victorian times (IIRC) and the style follows that Victorian formality somewhat. And it's long...over 1000 pages. The story is just wonderful, though...very engaging.

Elizabeth (erpedraja) | 4 comments Has anyone read the CS Harris series set in regency england?