Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Forgotten Bookmarks

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 487 comments I've just been reading about a new book called Forgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages by Michael Popek. I always love to find forgotten bookmarks in used books--it's like a piece of a mystery about the last owner. My favorites are an Amazon.com bill in the back of a book about slavery, and a newspaper clipping about the original crimes inside of In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences by Truman Capote.

As a group that acquires our books through lots of different ways, what kind of forgotten bookmarks have you all found in your books?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybt) | 336 comments The Forgotten Bookmarks guy has a blog too that he updates pretty regularly. I can't remember the website off the top of my head, but I'm sure google would bring it up.

A couple weeks ago I found a picture in a library book. It was totally an Awkward Family Photo picture. lol. This girl was wearing a Christmas sweater and holding a little fluffy puppy. I mean it doesn't sound bad when I describe it, but it looked really awkward. Other than that, I never find anything good. Just grocery receipts.

There's another website of found objects/ephemera you might like if you enjoy Forgotten bookmarks ... www.foundmagazine.com

message 3: by Clara (new)

Clara | 8 comments I found a recipe for Chocolate Date and Nut Bars. I made them and took them to a church supper. They were a hit.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I love finding newspaper clippings in used books (and have found them even in library books). It's fun to see if it's related to the book or if it was just a piece someone used as a bookmark.

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I have a handful of cookbooks that were my grandmas. I found newspaper clippings of recipes she cut out of old magazines and newspapers. My favorite was finding notes that she wrote on the side of certain recipes or in the back in the 'NOTES' section where she wrote a couple of her own recipes. I don't know why but seeing her own handwritting in a book makes me feel like I have a treasure.

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 487 comments Thanks, Mary--I'll read that after work tonight. What great responses, from all of you! I guess as a history major, the bits of paper people leave behind interest me, so even the grocery receipts would be amusing if I found them in one of my books.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 208 comments When I was a kid, my mother had shelves and shelves of books in our family room. I used to make bookmarks and stick them into random places in the books to see if she ever discovered them. If she did, she never mentioned it, lol.

A few times, I've found movie ticket/concert ticket stubs in library books. They do make the perfect books marks.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 68 comments I found a pay check from 1970 something from a business in new york. Since my parents are from there I thought it might have been theirs but the name was completely unfamilar to me and them. Someone was probably a lil short on cash about 40 years ago.

message 9: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 487 comments Jessica wrote: "I found a pay check from 1970 something from a business in new york. Since my parents are from there I thought it might have been theirs but the name was completely unfamilar to me and them. Someon..."

Wow, that's really cool.