SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2011

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2011
LINK:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/be...

Click the link to view all genres. This is their list for "Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror":

After the Apocalypse Stories by Maureen F. McHugh Zoo City by Lauren Beukes Triptych (Will Trent, #1) by Karin Slaughter Unpossible by Daryl Gregory Two Worlds and In Between The Best of Caitlin R. Kiernan (Volume One) by Caitlín R. Kiernan Erekos by A.M. Tuomala

And, "Children's Fiction":
Just the ones that have a fantasy/paranormal theme
Chime by Franny Billingsley Small Persons With Wings by Ellen Booraem Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu The Apothecary by Maile Meloy A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness The Flint Heart by Katherine Paterson Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente Variant (Variant, #1) by Robison Wells

message 2: by Vi (new)

Vi | 886 comments I took a look at the PW website and I found out that I've read a grand total of 1 book from their entire list with possible 8-9 on my TBR (most of them from Children's fiction). I wonder why Romance is so unpopulated with only 5 books and I've only heard 2 of them. I haven't heard of a single book from the Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror list. I wonder what these say about me..

How many have you read from this list?

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 2752 comments I don't know many of the books either and I read from a lot of their categories. How exactly did they pick this list?

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Again, I'm surprised by another big name site's "best of" list. Glad to know I'm not alone. I've seen Zoo City at the library, but didn't grab it. I have several of the YA books, but most of the other lists/books ... nada.

message 5: by Vi (new)

Vi | 886 comments Hmm, In the sci-fi category, the books either have ratings in thousands or in single digits. Karin Slaughter's in 2K+, Zoo city at 600+ but the rest is at <50. I guess they are also the "small press". I haven't heard of Small Beer Press. I don't know what to make out of this list either. But, I do love the YA category - it seems to have a better selection.