Disillusionists Re-read discussion

Mind Games (The Disillusionists, #1)
This topic is about Mind Games
Mind Games > Finished re-read of Mind Games

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara (Kindlelove) | 16 comments Potential SPOILERS if you haven't finished reading Mind Games.

I finally finished my re-read of Mind Games. I must say I enjoyed it even more the second time around. I have a better understanding of Justine’s reasoning for some of the choices she made, specifically in regard to Otto and Packard.

Like when Packard said to Justine: “When you get around solid, upstanding men, you’re like a bird with tinfoil. It makes you incoherent on a romantic level. “

And then when Justine was spelunking in Otto: “He feels familiar to me, too, like a song I’ve heard a million times. Because I was so deep inside him.”

When Justine is attracted to Packard but still with Cubby, “My dream of a normal, wholesome life with him is closer now than ever.” She thinks stuff like this repeatedly thru out the book. Maybe her personal motto should have been, “To be normal and average.”

I really liked the interaction between the disillusionists, the camaraderie and acceptance of each other. The dialogue always stayed true to each character’s individual phobia. Justine cracked me up with her over analyzing of symptoms and potential causes/consequences of each one, even after she zinged someone.

Fantastic read!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 31 comments Mod
The interactions between the Disillusionists were my fav parts the first time, and the re-read just reinforced my total love of those scenes.

Also noticed a bit mroe this time how no one is "cured". They're all just functional now.

Sara (Kindlelove) | 16 comments Kindle-aholic wrote: "The interactions between the Disillusionists were my fav parts the first time, and the re-read just reinforced my total love of those scenes.

Also noticed a bit mroe this time how no one is "cure..."

Some of my favorite scenes were right after Justine zings the Silver Widow and Alchemist and how she's still neurotic but she has no more fear, so she can push all the right buttons to send them into a total hypochondriac meltdown.
Jarvis is a harsh reminder that they are not really cured and need to stay with Packard, even at the end. I still remember how shocking that was the first time I read it. They truly are Packard's minions.

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 16 comments I think the author did a masterful job of having me sway with Justine, whenever her emotions swayed (except I really never got the Cubby thing!) When she's infatuated with Packard, so am I and when she is infatuated with Otto, I am as well. And while I don't feel the hypochondria, I think Justine is written well enough for me to empathize.

Sara (Kindlelove) | 16 comments Michelle wrote: "I think the author did a masterful job of having me sway with Justine, whenever her emotions swayed (except I really never got the Cubby thing!) When she's infatuated with Packard, so am I and whe..."

I understand what you mean by swaying with Justine's feelings. But for me, I'm on Team Packard and I kept hoping he would apologize to her so she could forgive him for the betrayal. But at the same time, I appreciated Packard's focus on getting free, even if that meant losing Justine to Otto.

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 16 comments Sara-

I was/am on team Packard too, but this quote is kind of hard to come back from. "I watch Packard settle in with the gang, wishing, as I have so many times, that he hadn't deceived me so profoundly, so wantonly, wishing he hadn't stolen my freedom. He killed so much of what could've been when he did what he did."

Sara (Kindlelove) | 16 comments I agree with that 100%. He behaved like an ass to gain his freedom. I felt his inner turmoil but he made his choice and now he has to live with Justine's choice. But I keep hoping that they work it out somehow.