The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 159 comments I love The Green Mile, it was just one of those books I couldn't put down. I read it in a day and cried buckets at the end. I still haven't watched the film yet but it has been recommended to me and I plan to watch it soon.

Tellme a bit about The Stand and why it is your favourite?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Craig | 1 comments I really liked Bag of Bones, and it's really what introduced me to King. I thought he was too scary before, and I got suckered into reading BoB because it was billed as a story about a haunting. Once I'd read it, though, I was really interested in reading more.

message 3: by Creature (new)

Creature | 93 comments Hello:
I was introduced to King with "Salem's Lot." It's a really creepy vampire story. The spookiest (if that is a word) story I've read by him is "Pet Semetary." Many of his books are really good. You almost can't go wrong with him.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"
P.S. I'll second "The Green Mile" as being a wonderful story.
C-Ya!!!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments That is a really hard question for me, I simply love Stephen King and love so many of his books, I don't think I can name just one.....

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments I've read all but one of his novels and it's tough to pick one. Pet Sematary was my first and will probably always be my favorite because it was so good it hooked me for life.

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments If you're somewhat squeamish, I'd recommend his earlier novels. The ones he's written since being injured (almost mortally) by a hit-and-run driver have been a little too much for me, except for Under the Dome, which had a cop-out ending. I'd go with Carrie, The Stand, and Misery for starters. Enjoy!

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 232 comments My favourite King novel is IT. I think it has the perfect mix of horror, characterisation, childhood, small-town claustrophobia - all the Stephen King traits. Other than that, I'm generally a fan of his earlier books - I went off him a bit when they started getting more and more bloated, and haven't really returned to the fold.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments I have The Tommyknockers by Stephen King but have not read it yet.....

message 9: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Hugh wrote: "I love The Tommyknockers. I may be the only one in the world who would pick it as his/her favorite Stephen King book, but, I repeat: I love The Tommyknockers!"

Not my favorite, but I really liked it, too.

message 10: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Acevedo Dunlop Strom | 10 comments Huge fan here too, and my favourite by FAR is The Talisman. I also love The Long Walk, The Running Man and Rage - three of the Bachman Books.
Other than that I agree with a few of the previous ones - Misery, It, 'Salem's Lot and The Green Mile are all brilliant. He did have a huge dip in greatness after Bag Of Bones I think - the only really good one since that and TGM is Under The Dome. I have the new one here, but will start it after the new year.

message 11: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Andreas wrote: "Huge fan here too, and my favourite by FAR is The Talisman. I also love The Long Walk, The Running Man and Rage - three of the Bachman Books.
Other than that I agree with a few of the previous ones..."

I haven't had the chance to read Under the Dome yet but I really enjoyed Duma Key. While not quite the same as his earlier works, I thought there was a nice balance between the standard King elements and great character development.

message 12: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Acevedo Dunlop Strom | 10 comments Yeah, Duma Key was by no means bad, but it just didn't have the same "ooomph" that I was used to from King. The only book I've disliked is Blockade Billy - the bonus short story in that was WAY better than the very disappointing main story.

message 13: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments I really enjoyed Duma Key, UTD and Blockade Billy. The biggest disappointment is the new one. Ugh.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Andreas wrote: "Yeah, Duma Key was by no means bad, but it just didn't have the same "ooomph" that I was used to from King. The only book I've disliked is Blockade Billy - the bonus short story in that was WAY bet..."

Funny, I felt the same way about Blockade Billy & the bonus story.

message 15: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Gatorman wrote: "I really enjoyed Duma Key, UTD and Blockade Billy. The biggest disappointment is the new one. Ugh."

I've heard similar reactions to the new one. Is it really that bad?

message 16: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Es135 wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "I really enjoyed Duma Key, UTD and Blockade Billy. The biggest disappointment is the new one. Ugh."

I've heard similar reactions to the new one. Is it really that bad?"

Yes, yes it is. Read my review if you like. IMO, the worst SK book ever.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Es135 wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "I really enjoyed Duma Key, UTD and Blockade Billy. The biggest disappointment is the new one. Ugh."

I've heard similar reactions to the new one. Is it really that bad?"

I just didn't get it!! I was glad that I listened to the audio and didn't waste time reading it.

message 18: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Linda wrote: "Es135 wrote: "Gatorman wrote: "I really enjoyed Duma Key, UTD and Blockade Billy. The biggest disappointment is the new one. Ugh."

I've heard similar reactions to the new one. Is it really tha..."

I hear you. Two weeks of my life I will never get back.

message 19: by Avisek (new)

Avisek Bandyopadhyay | 54 comments For some one who is about to be introduced to Mr. King, what book would you suggest ??

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Avisek wrote: "For some one who is about to be introduced to Mr. King, what book would you suggest ??"

I would recommend IT, The Stand, Pet Sematary and The Dead Zone to start with.

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison Brennan (abwrites) My favorite King book remains THE STAND, which I read as a teen-ager and re-read in college.

I agree with Gatorman that IT and THE DEAD ZONE are fantastic. I'm not as big a fan of PET SEMATARY, but it is classic King.

One book that gets very little mention that I absolutely love is NEEDFUL THINGS. It's probably my #2 favorite King book.

I also love his short stories. He wrote THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, which was a very short story as "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and also one of my favorite film adaptions of all time. It's essentially a variant of ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST but with a happier ending. Love that story.

I have UNDER THE DOME but haven't read it yet. Read the opening chapter--one of the best book openings ever. I just haven't had time to sit down and devour it.

message 22: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Next to the new one, Needful Things is my least favorite King book. Too many subplots, too long and the ending is lame. UTD is terrific.

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison Brennan (abwrites) Gatorman wrote: "Next to the new one, Needful Things is my least favorite King book. Too many subplots, too long and the ending is lame. UTD is terrific."

Good vote for UTD! I wanted to read it last Christmas Break, but got side-tracked with a deadline. Speaking of the dome, does anyone watch HAVEN? It's a SyFy series, going into the third season, and is loosely based on the King book THE COLORADO KID. There's a lot of great King trivia in the series, his books pop up here and there, there's some humorous dialogue. I love the characters of the series. Anyway, a dome played a part in the Christmas special for the series, a great episode.

I did like NEEDFUL THINGS, I read it in h.s. Loved the premise.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie I'm not a big fan of horror but Stephen King is a good story teller. I recently listened to him read Green Mile on Audibles and it was excellent.

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments Julie, you might want to watch the movie, too, if you haven't already.

I like Haven, too, Allison. When the dome appeared, I though, "Oh, no. This is not good."

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments Mine is The Stnad - just the epic-ness of it. As well as interesting characters, the apocalptic theme... Good vs. evil. So many good things...

message 27: by Eve (new)

Eve (mizzeve) | 2 comments Mine also is The Stand. Frankly, I don't think he's written a good novel in years. I thought Under the Dome was quite lacking. I absolutely hate it when writers use military archetypes and don't conduct the necessary research (or at least employ a good fact-checker) to get military details correct. It shows at the very least laziness and even worse a disrespect to those of us who serve in the military. Under no circumstances, ever, would a lieutenant or captain get promoted to colonel. Never. Ever. And what's worse is these incorrect non-facts aren't even necessary to move along the narrative. A skilled writer like Stephen King should know better.

/tirade off

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie Scout wrote: "Julie, you might want to watch the movie, too, if you haven't already.

I like Haven, too, Allison. When the dome appeared, I though, "Oh, no. This is not good.""

Thanks, I did see the movie and loved it. I also watch Haven and find it enjoyable. I purchased the short story, "Colorado Kid" between seasons to try to get an advance clue on the plot line but they are only vaguely connected.

message 29: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Allison wrote: "My favorite King book remains THE STAND, which I read as a teen-ager and re-read in college.

I agree with Gatorman that IT and THE DEAD ZONE are fantastic. I'm not as big a fan of PET SEMATARY, bu..."

I'm with you Allison, I simply loved Needful Things by Stephen King and another one of my favs is Misery by Stephen King

message 30: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Coffey (megthered) | 6 comments I love Needful Things but my favorite is Insomnia. I have read all of his works and I think since his accident his books don't feel the same. My very favorite short story ever is Breathing Method. The ending took my breath away and I will always remember it.

message 31: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 58 comments I love so many King novels, but I was sooo taken with Everything's Eventual 14 Dark Tales by Stephen King ,14 dark tales - it was awesome! A taste of all things King, I highly recommend!

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 56 comments I'd probably go with Misery, although I love The Shining and The Long Walk.

message 33: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 9 comments So hard to pick a favourite for me. I've actually recently re-read Pet Semetary for the umpteenth time, it's a book where you'll only ever get that great sense of foreboding on your first read, but can enjoy it again none the less!

message 34: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 3 comments I really like a lot of the short stories.
The Long Walk is an especially memorable one.

But for books, I have several favorites already mentioned by other people here, but one which I don't see mentioned is Firestarter. Definitely a fave.

Has anyone ever read his non-fiction book Danse Macabre?

message 35: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 3 comments Oh gosh, I guess it wasn't a short story after all. (The Long Walk) Just talking about it in another group and I looked it up - it was a novel published in The Bachman Books omnibus.

message 36: by George (new)

George | 16 comments Among my favorite King novels: The Stand, It, The Shining. I recently finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, 11/22/63!

message 37: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (jaschneider) | 16 comments Dead Zone and The Shining. Misery scared me the most. Haven't read Insomnia, but hope to.

message 38: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Harmon | 9 comments My favorite (like many of you) is The Stand. I understand that there's a longer version. King said (I forget where I read it) that for the original version, he'd cut some of The Stand not for writing/editing improvement, but for economics - the publishers didn't want the cost of printing such a long book. Has anyone read both the original and the expanded version? Should I give the expanded version a try?

message 39: by George (new)

George | 16 comments Hi Joyce: I've read both versions. The unedited version is definitely worth a read. Deleted scenes are reinstated, characters are given richer layers (example: Frannie's character is much more complex--her reasons for wanting to have the baby, etc.) Also, King updated some of the cultural references in the book when he released the unedited version. My opinion--a worthwhile reason to revisit a classic!

message 40: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Poppy wrote: "I really like a lot of the short stories.
The Long Walk is an especially memorable one.

But for books, I have several favorites already mentioned by other people here, but one which I don't see me..."

I read that one. Very good.

message 41: by George (new)

George | 16 comments Poppy wrote: Has anyone ever read his non-fiction book Danse Macabre?

I read that a number of years ago and really enjoyed it at the time. Some good insights from the author. I'll have to revisit it!

message 42: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Joyce wrote: "My favorite (like many of you) is The Stand. I understand that there's a longer version. King said (I forget where I read it) that for the original version, he'd cut some of The Stand not for writi..."

Absolutely read the unabridged version. The added stuff is worth it.

message 43: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 28 comments The stand, the dead zone and the dark tower series. Don't think there are many I haven't read that are easy to get hold off in Britain but think there are a few I haven't been able to buy. Oh and the one about a woman who leaves her violent partner but I can't remember the title . Many happy hours reading. Hoping to read the longer version of the stand.

message 44: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 3 comments I liked the first several in The Dark Tower but it got iffy in the end. Especially the last book. Still glad I read the series but was definitely disappointed by that last book.

message 45: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 28 comments Poppy wrote: "I liked the first several in The Dark Tower but it got iffy in the end. Especially the last book. Still glad I read the series but was definitely disappointed by that last book."

I was cross with the ending but it was a good series.

message 46: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments The ending was either "love it" or "hate it". I loved it was sad to see the series end.

message 47: by Sabri (new)

Sabri (sdowning1129) | 19 comments My absolute favorite is IT... great characters, dialogue, and story. I literally read it a few times a year...I'm also partial to his short stories...The Night Shift and Skeleton Crew are great!!!!!

message 48: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments Sabri wrote: "My absolute favorite is IT... great characters, dialogue, and story. I literally read it a few times a year...I'm also partial to his short stories...The Night Shift and Skeleton Crew are great!!!!!"

Yes, they are!

message 49: by Barbara (last edited Jun 26, 2012 06:04AM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8058 comments I'm listening to the audio version of The Stand after reading the book a long time ago. I think this is one of King's best books with great character development and (of course) an intriguing premise.

message 50: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Sokoloff (alexandrasokoloff) | 7 comments This is always such a hard question. I reread The Shining, The Stand, It, and Pet Sematery all the time. While I go back and forth on a favorite, I think Pet Sematery is probably his most perfect book - there is absolutely NOTHING out of place in it - no crumbling to pieces in the end as so often happens in the last act or pages of his books.

I loved 11/22/63, though - best book of his in ages.

« previous 1