Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

What is up with the train?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela Who drives the trains? What are they transporting? It appears that the cars are empty. Also, why not just have a passenger cars attached to the train? Perhaps, the purpose of the trains will be revealed in the next installment.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I assumed the factionless drove the train because they were the ones that drove the buses and did community like jobs. Also, they talked about things like food being transported from area to area so that may be the reason it is even running-to transport goods from one end of their world to the other OR it may have to do with what is on the outside of the fence that the dauntless guard.

Valerie I agree. It probably will be revealed in the next book. Perhaps it is the factionless

Erika No, i think it won't be revealed on the next book, i assume Veronica Roth just thought it was very extreme that they transported jumping from moving trains and stuff... Trains had a schedule for going somewhere and Dauntless used that schedule for moving from one place to another. But yeah, probably the factionless are those who drive them.

ichigo_menthol Yeah. What IS up with the train?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the trains are simply Dauntless's source of transportation.

I never really thought about who actually drove them until I saw this question. Its kind of left up in the air, but maybe they are automatic or something. It is distopian future... more advanced technology.

I think Roth should've put a story behind the train, 'cause they sure are a big part of the story. That's how Tris got into Dauntless traing, how the action of the story started. If she did, it would deepen the history of Chicago.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Yes that is a good point about the trains! Didn't think of that.

Kinga Alannah wrote: "I think the trains are simply Dauntless's source of transportation.

I never really thought about who actually drove them until I saw this question. Its kind of left up in the air, but maybe they ..."

I agree completely...! I also think that trains are going to play a big part in the following books as there is a revolution and it is safer for Dauntless to travel with trains<3

message 9: by Julie (last edited Dec 22, 2011 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie I honestly didn't put much thought into the trains and I really don't think the author did either. I think she just thought it was a neat idea to have the Dauntless use them as transportation. I could be wrong but I wouldn't dwell on why they are there.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The books will probably reveal more about it in the future, but I don't think it's going to be shocking or anything. The train's only purpose in the book is just a convenient form of transportation for Dauntless. I'm sure it ships thing, probably like produce and stuff to different factions, and it's probably driven by factionless, but it doesn't really matter in the story. Not yet at least, who knows? Maybe there's a huge shocking secret about the train, I'm not the author.

Jordan I had thought that the Dauntless drove the trains, or that they where automatic. But the factionless thing makes a lot more sense. It also seemed a little odd to me that not one person in that book had a train type accident. I think the girl who missed the roof in the begnning was more of a jumping accident.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordan wrote: "I had thought that the Dauntless drove the trains, or that they where automatic. But the factionless thing makes a lot more sense. It also seemed a little odd to me that not one person in that book..."

Well, there was that one kid who didn't make it on in the beginning and few people jumping on almost fell off.

message 13: by Jordan (last edited Dec 23, 2011 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jordan True, but in a place where trains are the main way people get around you'd think one person woud get hit by a train. Maybe we just don't hear about them ?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordan wrote: "True, but in a place where trains are the main way people get around you'd think one person woud get hit by a train. Maybe we just don't hear about them ?"

Dauntless is the only people who use it like that and Dauntless die every day because of stupid things like that. Take that girl, her death got what? A paragraph in the story? There's probably been a few people who've died or gotten injured on the train tracks, but it probably happens too often for it to be a big deal.

Randie D. Camp, M.S. Great question! I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought the Dauntless must run the trains but after the ending, I felt they would have stopped it during the "big event". Maybe the factionless, that seems logical.

Like others have suggested, I hope to learn more in the next book.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Randie wrote: "Great question! I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought the Dauntless must run the trains but after the ending, I felt they would have stopped it during the "big event". Maybe the factio..."

Hmm I never thought about why it kept going during the "big event". Good point, that is kind of weird.

Jessica What I want to know...is how the elderly (are there any?) Dauntless, pregnant women, or little kids manage to jump to/from the trains?

Jessica Jessica wrote: "What I want to know...is how the elderly (are there any?) Dauntless, pregnant women, or little kids manage to jump to/from the trains?"

Tris mentioned near the beginning not ever seeing any elderly people and she wondered where they were or if the Dauntless even lived long enough.

Little kids wouldn't be leaving the camp unless with their parents so the parents would help them get on the train. As far as pregnant women go, the dauntless are very fit people so it wouldn't be a concern until nearing the end of their term. It it was an issue they just wouldn't get on the train.

Diane Julie wrote: "I honestly didn't put much thought into the trains and I really don't think the author did either. I think she just thought it was a neat idea to have the Dauntless use them as transportation. I co..."

I disagree wit this. The way resources are so scarece and limited it would be such a waste to run a train schedule all hours of the day and night just in case the Dauntless wanted transportation at any given time. I tend to think it must be a way of transporting resources from outside the fence or other areas of the country. It obviously is not meant for human travel. As for all the empty care maybe there are only some empty cars.

Jessica Recently re-read the book, all this is actually answered near the beginning. The trains are operated by the fractionless, and are just there for the dauntless to use as everyone else uses the busses

Uditi You know it might just be some random thing about trains......

message 22: by Blujeanbooks96 (last edited Apr 04, 2012 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blujeanbooks96 I think that it's just like any other train - it transports people, namely the dauntless for their fearless reasons. And I think it is driven by the factionless because, as many people have said, they seem to drive a lot of the public transports.

As Jessica said, it is actually mentioned in the beginning of the book. I sorta remember it being explained.