The Harry Potter Bible Study: Enjoying God Through the Final Four Harry Potter Movies The Harry Potter Bible Study discussion

The Harry Potter Bible Study

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn This book just goes to show how deluded Christians are and what fanatics they are. J.K.Rowling is an Atheist and her characters are NOT Christians as she has said herself yet here people are wanting to turn the Harry Potter series and its Wiccan themes into something Christian. Then again, Christian mythology itself is rooted in paganism and the jesus myth is borrowed entirely from much older pagan Mediterranean myths.

message 2: by Lily (last edited Nov 11, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

Lily Urzula I think you might be getting a bit too angry here. I haven't read this book, but I do know about some people having issues with Harry Potter, and I realise that, yes, pretty much all of it is complete nonsense.

I don't, however, think that it is fair to call all Christians deluded fanatics because of a few more... extreme people. I'm not at all religious myself, but it's more than a little offensive to insult a whole group of people when the majority of them aren't doing anything at all wrong. Feel free to speak against the author of this book. It's fine to disagree with them, some of what certain people say could seem a bit ridiculous. Just... don't group everyone together.

Also, I think JKR has said she's a Christian before? Not certain, but I think remember her saying it somewhere. I might be wrong.

message 3: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn I'm not angry. Actually the thing made me laugh out loud. No, JK Rowling is definitely not Christian. What I am waiting for is for this author or someone similar to come up with The Islam Christian Bible Study Book and assure us that it really is a Christian book or else the devil trying to make it from a Christian book into a book of lies of the devil. Anyone who believes that ancient fairy tales that came from even more ancient fairy tales are actually true history is, sadly, deluded.

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily Urzula Sorry, then, but you did sound a little angry.

And I'm not even going to try arguing that people who see anti-Christian messages or themes in the books are looking into things far, far too much. I was just saying that I don't think it's right to use such an extreme example to judge all Christians.

And maybe, yes, they might very well be deluded. But until you can prove that absolutely, it bascially falls down to a person's own opinion and interpretation. And when your dealing with omnipotent beings which are so mysterious they may as well be made up even if they aren't already, it's impossible to prove anything. It isn't especially important, really, anyway. What I, or you, think is nonsense, is probably very important to somebody else, and no matter how ridiculous or illogical it might be, if it's not hurting anyone, I don't think I have any right to insult them them for believing it.

message 5: by J.N. (new)

J.N. I thought she was a Christian. I remember reading an interview where she said she was one?