Number the Stars Number the Stars discussion

i didnt get it

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

MizziQ I found it to be boring and not intresting. I understand that the author was trying to bring light on an opression through a book for kids, but it just didn't do it for me.

Starburst i think it is kind of overrated.

Diana It's shocking that you guys feel this way. I read this book when I was younger and I loved it. Everyone has their own opinion though.

Jamie _I Have Lived a Thousand Years_ is a really great story about the Holocaust through the eyes of a young girl... Might be a better one to check out...

MizziQ Diana wrote: "It's shocking that you guys feel this way. I read this book when I was younger and I loved it. Everyone has their own opinion though."

It might have to do with the fact that I read it only a year ago, not when I was younger.

@Jamie- Thanks! I'll check it out!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Julianne wrote: "i read this last year and i hated it!!!"

Really you hated it this book is awesome!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

TikiPaws12 (momentomori13) *STARGAZER* wrote: "I found it to be boring and not intresting. I understand that the author was trying to bring light on an opression through a book for kids, but it just didn't do it for me."

Really what I loved it!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Starburst wrote: "i think it is kind of overrated."

WHAT YOU THOUGHT THIS BOOK WAS BORING!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutley treasure this book!! SO SO GOOD!!

Starburst well, i just didn't think it was all that great...

message 11: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee she wasn't trying to bring out about the oppresion of kids in the books - she was highlighting what happened to the Danish jews during the Holocaust and the families that put their lives on the line to help them escape

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I just really loved it!!

Terry Tastes differ, but I thought it was very good, and I was in my 50s when I read it. This was after a visit to Denmark, which naturally increased my interest, as did knowing some Danish-Americans who lived through this as children. Those who loved the book should check out Fred Small's song "Denark 1943." if you're ever in Copenhagen, the small Holocaust Museum is worth a visit.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool!!!!!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I know somebody actually agrees with me I mean I love love love this book!!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you read this book on tape?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh its really good on tape

MizziQ Dee wrote: "she wasn't trying to bring out about the oppresion of kids in the books - she was highlighting what happened to the Danish jews during the Holocaust and the families that put their lives on the lin..."

I meant to say she was trying to bring out the oppression of people FOR kids. :)

Nikolas man it was boring we were forced to read it in fifth grade last year but its still a good book on the holocaust and WWII in poland

Ashley Julianne wrote: "i read this last year and i hated it!!!"

i really liked this book, we read it as a class and then i didnt really understand it, so i checked it out for myself... after reading the diary of ann frank and other books on this topic. it was a really good heart touching story.

message 21: by Luke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luke I think it was alright, but what SUCKED was that it had no action parts.

Ashley Luke wrote: "I think it was alright, but what SUCKED was that it had no action parts."

.... it was a book about a families sturgle threw the holocost.... duh, no action.

message 23: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee the fact that a book must have action (which seems to be a dominate idea in many threads on classics) is disturbing...have we as a society gotten to such a stage that if a book doesn't feature people being killed (oh wait didn't that happen or potenitally happen in number the stars) that a book sucks...

Julie It's an okay book, i guess I want something more...adult.
~J

message 25: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee but its a kids book...it won the newberry award which is aimed at young readers...

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 06, 2011 12:48PM) (new)

Luke wrote: "I think it was alright, but what SUCKED was that it had no action parts."
Wow really!

Kathleen Harsch This book is actually for elementary school children, not secondary level or young adults. There is action in it, just not the same you'd find in other Holocaust books.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it can be for any age!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Ana wrote: "Nora wrote: "I absolutley treasure this book!! SO SO GOOD!!"

i k I LOVED IT!!!!!"

Thats great lol someone agrees with me!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yah me too I read it last year when I was nine lol

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Tirzah wrote: "I actually read this book twice. First time for reading pleasure and the second time for a college education class. It was amazing both times, especially after my college class analyzed some of the..."

Me too JULIE ANDREWS ALL THE WAY lol except she didnt use that last name though still.... lol

Brooks I read this book in 5th or 4th grade (not sure which one) but I LOVED it. I was obsessed with this book for the whole entire year. I read over 10 times. I don't see how everyone doesn't love it.

message 33: by Brittany R (new) - added it

Brittany R Jamie wrote: "_I Have Lived a Thousand Years_ is a really great story about the Holocaust through the eyes of a young girl... Might be a better one to check out..."

I also recommend this one. It is so haunting.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Nora wrote: "Ada ~ The Random One wrote: "i had to read it 2 years ago when i was 8 in 4th grade""

2 is better right lol!

Brandie i dont know what some of you are talking about this book is very good and definently not boring

Samantha This book is for young adults, so if you're bored reading it as an adult, that's probably why.

Elisabeth Wheatley I understand why some people might find this book depressing, disturbing, or even dull.

But personally, I am very pleased with this book. It was in depth and complex and even if it didn't thrill me like the YA fantasy I normally read, I think it is a masterpiece. : )

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I first read this book when I was ten and now, when I'm thirteen, I still love it. I've read it a lot. I think it's a good book for younger kids to read about the holocaust.

Lea Ann I agree with Livvy. I teach 6th grade, and the kids usually like this book. It's easy to read, and I think it's a good first book about the Holocaust. I can teach a lot of background about the war with this book without getting in to too much of the heavy stuff that is better suited for older students.

Khalif I'll admit that the book did come up short in some areas, but it showed the targetted audience (which were kids) what it was REALLY like to live in that timeperiod. when kids learn about the Holocaust and read journals from people who lived in that time period, it doesn't appeal to them because they don't connect with them. maybe it's because it's too detail? I don't know. but, with this book, the kids learn how average life was changed for kids. and, if you remember, when it came out that was the standard reading level for kids that age.

message 41: by Audrey (last edited Jul 07, 2012 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Audrey Klosterman LOVE THIS BOOK! lois lowry is the best! to everyone who hates this book: BOOOOO! :(

κίρστεν (Kirsten) Terry wrote: "Tastes differ, but I thought it was very good, and I was in my 50s when I read it. This was after a visit to Denmark, which naturally increased my interest, as did knowing some Danish-Americans who..."

Terry, as the daughter of a born and raised Dane, while it's great that this book would promote interest in so unique and lovely a country, I can tell you that it's largely inaccurate in portraying Denmark. A couple examples of inaccuracy that I can think of off the bat are Kirsty (Danes NEVER shorten kids' names to childish nicknames such as that. I'm named Kirsten, and I never had a nickname as a child) and the pink and yellow cupcakes. All the Danes I know would turn their noses up at a pink and yellow cupcake. Danes are renowned for their creative deserts and bakery delicacies. It may sound nit-picky, but if the author had asked a Dane to read her book over and edit it quickly, she could've made a much more interesting and culturally accurate book.

message 43: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Kara wrote: "I found it to be boring and not intresting. I understand that the author was trying to bring light on an opression through a book for kids, but it just didn't do it for me."

Wow I never thought anybody could hate this book, I mean I dont judge everybody has their own opinions and I am fine with that:) But I really loved this book, I read it last year and I was 11, and I think the main character is close to that age so I felt good reading it and could relate to some stuff, I was so into it and really really anjoyed reading it. ((Sorry for the bad grammar))

Monica I have used this book in Literature circles the past two years with high level 4th and 5th graders. They liked the book. It opened the path for them to do research on the Holocaust, Hitler, Concentration Camps, and the Danish Resistance. They all enjoyed it and learned so much about the history of this period. I paired it with another book about a young girl going through war-torn Cambodia The Clay Marble. This allowed for students to compare the effects of war on children in two very different wars and time periods, and with this one they researched the Cambodian War, the Killing Fields, the prisons during this period, the Khmer Rouge and the effects of this war on the current structure in Cambodia. My students learned so much from these two books and often read ahead of their assigned readings because they wanted to find out what happened. I think it is so important to read books such as these with our youth so they are aware of the effects of war and hopefully will work to make the world a more peaceful place for all living in it.

Julie I loved this book!!!!
I read it in 6th grade for school and it was definitely my favorite!!!
it was sad but I still loved it!!!

Helen I borrowed this book from a friend when I was 12 and I loved it! I have to read it again sometime :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was quite enjoyable to read. Lois Lowry captures the significant picture of what life was like during the Holocaust. The friendship shared between Ellen and Annemarie was extremely touching. It showed the power of friendship in the book: No matter who they are, regardless of race,colour, or even personality. Annemarie proved to be very courageous, doing whatever it would take to protect her friend and her family. I immensely loved the last page of the book, when Annemarie asks her father to mend the David star necklace Ellen wore.

I was assigned to read this book when I was eleven (I'm twelve right now)and I loved it. I finished it in one day because it was just that addicting. This year, I was at the library and I saw this book. I checked it out and read it again. I felt the same emotion I felt when I read it the first time. I absolutely adore Lois Lowry. She's one of my favourite authors! :)

Tammy deleted user wrote: "Julianne wrote: "i read this last year and i hated it!!!"

Really you hated it this book is awesome!!"

ikr

Tammy This book was very sad. I can see why a few people would hate it. I don't hate it but I can understand why some people might. My friend thought it was pretty boring, but I thought it was a good book. It was very interesting and some parts were sad.

message 50: by Shea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shea My teacher read this to us in fourth grade. I feel in love with it because she is such an amazing story teller. When I read it on my own, I noticed some things she must have skipped, but I still loved it. I really love Historical Fiction! :)

« previous 1