Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Fantasy Romance > Looking for a great fantasy read

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey all, I'm really in the mood for some fantasy right now. Anything will do, YA or adult. Nothing more than a trilogy, or a saga. Thanks guys :D

message 2: by Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (last edited Nov 11, 2011 03:29PM) (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Best one I have ever read starting with Lord of the Fading Lands. There are five books and the series is finished. I read it at Christmas time and when I finished I started over and read it again. It's not YA but several of my adult friends who read a lot of YA have loved it. So did my brother and my son. It's the coolest fantasy world I have ever been in! They aren't real thick/long books.

message 3: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:21AM) (new)

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) I'm not sure if you're looking for a romance-fantasy. The first ones that come to mind are just pure fantasy:

Mistborn: The Final Empire - My favorite fantasy series. The first book has lots of romance as well.
Assassin's Quest - Almost as good as MistBorn
Across the Nightingale Floor: If you like Japan & Ninjas, you have to read this. If I remember well, books 2 & 3 delve more on the romance.

Romance/PNR fantasy:
Daughter of the Forest. One amazing, fantastic series. Can't recommend it enough and all books have lots of romance.
East. Retelling of a fairytale, YA but great.
The Goose Girl - YA. Retelling of a fairytale. Very, very nice!
Beastly - YA. Very sweet romance.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I heartily second Daughter of the Forest and the entire Sevenwaters series - and every other book Juliet Marillier has ever written. I own them all in hardback and soft cover (for loaning) and treasure my personalized signed copy of the Australian version of Son of the Shadows (my favorite). Somehow I don't think of them as fantasy because they are so REAL.

message 5: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments The Shadow Reader (McKenzie Lewis #1) by Sandy Williams <~~ I just finished this book last night and loved it!!! Check it out

message 6: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments Have you read the Study series by Maria V Snyder? It's a trilogy and converted me to fantasy. There's another trilogy (Glass) that follows it.

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I loved the first two Study books, not so much the third one or the other trilogy. But Poison Study and Magic study are good enough to just love as a book and a sequel!

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (sreads) | 5 comments Have you read any of The Edge series or Kate Daniel's? Both are by Illona Andrews. Awesome fantasy stories with a little romance. The Fever series is also really good by Karen M. Moning (heavier on the romance end) Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lanie Taylor, it's the start of a new series and one of my new faves. Those are probably my top recommendations.

message 9: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1) by L.J. McDonald is also very good.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I'm a big fan of Ella Enchanted and all other books by Gail Carson Levine. She writes YA fantasy.

message 11: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (cjarcher) | 49 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I heartily second Daughter of the Forest and the entire Sevenwaters series - and every other book Juliet Marillier has ever written. I own them all in hardback and soft cover (for loa..."

Yes yes! I totally agree with this rec. Juliet Marillier is my face romantic fantasy author. The first 2 in the Seven waters books are fantastic.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Sarah, I know you said nothing more than a trilogy, but. . .

Andre Norton's Witch World series has about 30 books in it. But while the entire ARC is that long, most of the books in it are either fairly stand alone (or at least, can be READ as stand-alones) or are grouped in trilogies or duos. So I'd still consider that series.

For example Witch WorldWeb of the Witch World are the first 2 books in the entire arc--and are also interconnected and belong together. The next 3 books introduce the children of the main characters in these 2 books. After that, we start getting lots and lots and lots of other characters from the same world having their own series.

But, as I said, except really for those first 5 books, you don't need to have read any of the others to enjoy them.

message 13: by J.T. (new)

J.T. Geissinger (jtgeissinger) Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. One of the best YA fantasy books of 2011.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Joyce wrote: "Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. One of the best YA fantasy books of 2011."

I *just* bought this book today for my daughter for Christmas, lol. I was wondering if I could read it before I wrapped it up for her ;)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 241 comments I really loved Eden (Eden, #1) by Janelle Stalder . Although it's considered YA, the book has a host of characters young and old woven so well together, it's one of my top five reads of the year. Check it out.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Best one I have ever read starting with Lord of the Fading Lands. There are five books and the series is finished."

I second...third...fourth...fifth this suggestion! Amazing series. Loved it!

message 17: by Kris (new)

Kris (marketing_gurl) | 23 comments A few YAs that I love to recommend are:

Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

Beg for Mercy (Cambion, #1) by Shannon Dermott

and if you're looking for mature reading:

The Calling by Ashley Lynn Willis

Destiny Divided (Shadows of Destiny, #1) by Leia Shaw

Enjoy!

message 18: by Riley (new)

Riley Steel (rileysteel) | 10 comments can i let you know that my fantasy book, Help my Granda is Haunting me is only 99p and it comes in kindle format, it is a story really close to my heart set in my home town of aberdeen. In it we meet Teenager Roxy May, who after the tragic death of her father finds she can see the dead. This book is suitable for both teenagers and adults and a fantastic journey and the first in the Roxy May series. Its available from our website www.vamptasypublishing.co.uk
Roxy May: Help My Granda is Haunting Me!
Roxy May Help My Granda is Haunting Me! by Nicola Ormerod

message 19: by jD (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 152 comments My favorite fantasy romance of 2011 has to be Master of Crows. It's dark fantasy with great worldbuilding, the love affair is sensual, and the story is complete. No cliffhanger. No series. This is the author's first full length work and it's awsome.

message 20: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 293 comments An epic fantasy sci-fi romance series
Demon Possession (Shadow Quest #1) by Kiersten Fay Demon Slave (Shadow Quest #2) by Kiersten Fay

message 21: by Alana (new)

Alana Mag | 2 comments Anyone read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ?

What did you think? It got a lot of buzz...

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Are you still looking? If so, I'm seconding Across the Nightingale Floor (especially if you've ever devoured Japanese media), Daughter of the Forest, Assassin's Quest, and The Lions of Al-Rassan. All excellent, character-driven reads. AQ does not have much romance. Perhaps also Gillian Bradshaw's The Wolf Hunt. Are you interested in political fantasy with a smidge of romance? You may like Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince.

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3) by Robin Hobb The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1) by Melanie Rawn

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin what about Moning;s fever series Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning
I am reading the last one now

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2012 02:44AM) (new)

At the risk of appearing self-serving (the author is my wife), I strongly recommend The Ballad of Young Tam Lin by Patricia A. Leslie . I'm very critical of what I read, and I simply love this book - romance, humor, thoughtful moments - great plot and superb characters. Don't just believe me - take a free look on Kindle ("Look Inside") If you like what you read, register to win a free copy on Goodreads.

Also, you can get a free paranormal novella by Patricia Leslie, (author of The Ballad of Young Tam Lin).
Go to http://directory.ac5.org/TamLin
Then click on the "Resources" tab for access to the novella and some other short writings.

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Guida (ness422) | 3 comments Robin wrote: "what about Moning;s fever seriesBloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie MoningDarkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie MoningFaefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie MoningDreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie MoningShadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning
I am reading the l..."

I just finished this series and loved it! I was so glad it had an ending too. I get tired of reading series that after 10 or 20 books, they... are .....still...going...... I need closure....LOL.

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Fortunato (jessicafortunato) | 8 comments My book The Sin Collector (link below) fits the original request, and will be completely free on Amazon tomorrow, March 2nd, in honor of Read Across America day!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sin-Collect...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Not knowing your taste (fantasy has become a very broad genre), have you looked at Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books (starting with The Wee Free Men), or any of his other Discworld books?

Purplepaperreader Hi there,

Romantic Fantasy:

I would agree with the recommendations for C.L. Wilson's Lord of the Fading Lands series.

Kristin Britain's Green Riders series is great BUT she does have looooong gaps in between publishing books in the series

Melanie Rawn's Dragonlords

Lynn Kurland's Nine Kingdoms series - I liked this one, but I have to say that the main characters love each other A LOT and have no problem telling you about 5 times on every page. You need to be in the mood for this one.

Great fantasy reads, still with some romance, but where it's definitely not the focus:

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

message 29: by Faye (new)

Faye (fayegreen) | 7 comments Vampire Academy By Richelle Mead

message 30: by Ty (new)

Ty got some great TBRs from this thread. thanks everyone.

But I agree....
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor has got to be the best damn, most deliciously lush thang I've read in a long time. It's what all YA fantasy, PNR, UF, heck, ANYTHING should aspire to be. Laini Taylor's writing is like my favorite butter pecan ice cream dipped in sunlight wrapped in cotton candy. So decadent, gooey, and soul-warming.

My favorite, favorite, favorite line:
“Karou wished she could be the kind of girl who was complete unto herself, comfortable in solitude, serene. But she wasn't. She was lonely, and she feared the missingness within her as if it might expand and...cancel her. She craved a presence beside her, solid. Fingertips light at the nape of her neck and a voice meeting hers in the dark. Someone who would wait with an umbrella to walk her home in the rain, and smile like sunshine when he saw her coming. Who would dance with her on her balcony, keep his promises and know her secrets, and make a tiny world wherever he was, with just her and his arms and his whisper and her trust.”

Yes, I wholeheartedly embrace my drug pusher role in this, so long as Daughter is the drug. It's the first book of a series, but it's worth it.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Lychee wrote: "got some great TBRs from this thread. thanks everyone.

But I agree....
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor has got to be the best damn, most deliciously lush thang I've read in a lon..."

I agree 100%. *Loved* that book!!

message 32: by Coffeentea (new)

Coffeentea | 128 comments Heart Of Fire by Kristen Painter

message 33: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 231 comments One of my absolute favorites when it comes to fantasy is The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2) by Trudi Canavan The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3) by Trudi Canavan

I also really liked The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1) by Lynn Flewelling Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2) by Lynn Flewelling The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3) by Lynn Flewelling

message 34: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Davis (kaitlyn_davis) | 13 comments I love Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore ! It's set in an alternate world and it has everything - action, adventure, romance! There are two other books set in the same world that have some character crossover but each is its own complete novel! Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) by Kristin Cashore and Bitterblue (The Seven Kingdoms, #3) by Kristin Cashore

message 35: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 40 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "I love Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore! It's set in an alternate world and it has everything - action, adventure, romance! There are two other books set in the same world that have some character cro..."

Good to know. I thought they were like a continuing series. I have Graceling but I've been putting off reading it because I thought I should wait until I had the others (because I hate being stuck on a cliffhanger). Now I can bump it up my list with a clear conscience. :)