The Tiger Rising The Tiger Rising discussion

I love Kate DiCamillo, but I HATED this book. It didn't have a plot.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

AnnieB I love Kate DiCamillo, but I HATED this book. It didn't have a plot. It was pointless!

Starburst yeah, i must agree with you.

AnnieB I no! I mean they found a tiger, she rode it. The End! What was the point?

Starburst yeah... when I finished it, i was just like "umm...?"

AnnieB It was kinda like a "Umm thanks for sharing" moment.

Starburst yeah, I know, right?
Why are all my comments starting with "yeah"?

AnnieB yeah...i dont know

Starburst neither do i, sry that was a weird comment

message 9: by Jess (last edited Dec 13, 2011 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess I think that you can take the story at face value and not get much out of it, or you can try to figure out the symbolism.

MizziQ I loved it. I totally understand your points tho, it didn't seem to have much plot, but I enjoyed the emotion and the subtle symbolism. I don't really know whether DiCamillo tried to make this book a simple meanigful book or just slipped...but I love it. :)

AnnieB I thought I was a great beginning...I felt like there needed to be more. Something excited needed to happen. Like the tiger took them somewhere or they discover more animals in the forest. But instead, it just kinda ended...

Danny Fahey I really enjoyed it and it was the first of Kate's books that I read which led me to all her others. I thought it was a beautiful story.

Nicole This book was ok but not as good as "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane"

Kaitlin I agree that it was no "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" - that's my favorite DiCamillo book. I still thought it was a lovely story, though. I saw the plot as less of an outer adventure and discovery and more of an inner conflict within Rob. It was the process of him acknowledging and learning to live with his grief, as well as opening up and building his relationships (pretty much through the metaphor of the tiger). But different plots and stories meet different fancies, so to each his own.

Danny Fahey One of my favourite of hers and one I always recommend to friends.

It is an excellent book to read out loud (most of hers are) and has perfect chapter lengths.

message 16: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Greene I loved it. I think life has smaller moments that hold significance and it was refreshing to find a story that focused on relationships and inner conflict and not "big" action. There are some amazing quotes in this book that capture feelings we all have - loss, love, friendship.