Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion


216 views
What's Your Thought on Twilight's Sparkling Vampire Thing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

AnnieB Ok, i really dont know why Stephanie Myer made vampires sparkle? I mean what does it prove? Why does it matter?


Kirby well, from what I understand, the sparkle thing came from the dream she had, of the meadow scene...so I guess that's why she included it...


Nyssa Do I like the idea of sparkly vampires - NO! However, It really wasn't a major part of the storyline (at least not in the books - other than 2 very specific scenes. I really don't understand why people made such a big deal out if it.


AnnieB I KNOW RIGHT


Lavender SO FREAKIN STUPID - and not attractive at all. edward could not get any uglier.


AnnieB i no. i think in the movies, it makes him look ugly.


Leonor I don't like it. It's weird.


2Aura4507 okay 1st of all edward isnt ugly and 2nd people call me a vampire but still the whole sparkling thing is so stupid like the original vampire Vladimir also known as dracula doesn't have anything with sparkling, but maybe Stephanie Meyer wrote that instead of saying that the vampires would burn in the sunlight. Instead, simply they sparkle, but it is still stupid.


AnnieB ya, i guess you have a point


message 10: by Aurian (new) - added it

Aurian I prefer the traditional vampire mythology...like, the Buffy vampires, who are killed with wooden stakes and holy water and can't go into the sun. Sparkly....xDD I mean, it's an interesting idea to get around the whole sun thing, but it's kinda funny.


2Aura4507 yeah me too i was like where did all of that go??


message 12: by Aurian (new) - added it

Aurian 2Aura4507 wrote: "yeah me too i was like where did all of that go??"

Yeah I know I couldn't take it seriously, especially in the movie..I was like "lmao, vampire glitter." xD


Kirby well, she didn't want her vampires to be evil creatures destined to burn in hell, so of course she couldn't include the religious aspects of traditional (european) mythology...


AnnieB i no. i was just like "seriously? come on. sparkles?"


2Aura4507 hahaha lol yeah ikr but its just like everything that was built up in a vampire's reputation is all gone. se changed the world's perspection on vampires


message 16: by Aurian (new) - added it

Aurian Kirby wrote: "well, she didn't want her vampires to be evil creatures destined to burn in hell, so of course she couldn't include the religious aspects of traditional (european) mythology..."

Good point haha...I never thought of it that way!


message 17: by Aurian (new) - added it

Aurian 2Aura4507 wrote: "hahaha lol yeah ikr but its just like everything that was built up in a vampire's reputation is all gone. se changed the world's perspection on vampires"

*shivers* I hope that the concept sparkly vampires STOP HERE, though.


2Aura4507 yeah, agreed


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I really think it is unnessary and kind of rubbish.... who has ever heard of vampires sparkling in the sun?.....


Haidi Does it have anything to do with the fact that they are supposed to be rock hard and they shatter when ripped apart, like a crystal? I don't know...


Diane My usual reaction would be "oooh, sparkly". I thought it's a little ridiculous, but I don't hate it (on good days, I may actually really like the it).

I'd love it if someone other author takes the idea and runs with it. Meyer may have stumbled onto something that may be scientifically accurate (as accurate as sparkly vampires can be). See: Lasers reveal the scientific basis for sparkly vampires?


message 22: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV I disagree that the fact a character sparkles is not important to the storyline. It would mean that vampires really wouldn't be able to get away with going out in public, even in a place that is mostly overcast. Weather is too fickle and can clear up in moments anywhere. It's too great a risk.


Samantha Why is this discussion even relevant to anything in existence? Meyer's vampires sparkle...ok, big whoop. Wonderland things say "Eat me/Drink me"....Narnia has a million different portals....Monsters in percy Jackson don't die, they turn into dust...every book has it's little quirks and its those quirks that make each book individual and mark each author as having their own style. Does there really need to be any logic behind it??


message 24: by Will (last edited Dec 05, 2011 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV The logic behind it isn't my complaint, it's the logistics and impracticality of trying to remain hidden within the public eye, while trying to avoid spontaneously sparkling.


Samantha Regardless, that's Ms. Meyer's calling card now...sparkling vampires who wish to be subtle but can't. Not everyone who writes is a genius =P


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It's pretty goddamn ridiculous. And where the idea came from is even more so. When she was having her sexual fantasy about Edward in the meadow, Meyer says he was sparkling.

The question should be asked, why would she fluff up fictional monsters while romanticizing real life monsters like mentally abusive boy friends and stalkers?


message 27: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo Unoriginal.


Erika L. Miller I think it's pretty ridiculous too. I saw the movie first before reading the book and was caught completely off guard. I was the only female in the theater laughing my ass off at that scene.

It's pointless and serves no purpose. Someone mentioned creatures turning into dust which I can give some leeway to because 'ashes to ashes and dust to dust' at some point our bodies will decompose back into the earth or whatever world it is.

The many portals in Narnia is simply 'magic' or paths to Heaven (if you're taking a more Christian view on the book).

Vampires sparkle and that's the only explanation. It serves no biological purpose and it doesn't explain why they are hard. Plenty of objects are hard without having to sparkle like my four year old niece's tiarra. It's as mind boggling as a squeezing sperm from a rock which is basically what Bella 'magically' does. So...no, there is no logic and it frustrates me because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever on ANY level. Forgive me for trying to understand and grasp the concept of the world that I was a participant in.

In the end, I guess it really shouldn't matter because beautiful people sparkle, a boy mentally abuses you and celebrates your social isolation because he loves you and by having a strong desire to commit suicide I will live eternally happy because I'M. IN. LOVE!!

*rolls eyes* Which is no need for concern at a time when preteen and teen suicide rates are slowly on the rise - or just receiving more coverage now. But THAT'S okay because in the end...what's really important...is that Bella is an excellent role model because she waited until AFTER she was married to have sex.


Sarah She probably just wanted to get away from the stereotype of vampires...while inadvertedly creating a new one, one that is invulnerable to most anything.


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Kali wrote: "I'm not even getting into people calling you a vampire.:/ "

Because she "got jesus".


message 31: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV Washed in the blood of vampire Jesus.

Halleluja amen.


message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:21AM) (new)

Sarah wrote: "She probably just wanted to get away from the stereotype of vampires...while inadvertedly creating a new one, one that is invulnerable to most anything."

I think it's more to the point that she didn't know shit about vampires. This is a woman who doesn't watch rated R movies, doesn't read horror novels, and was "creeped out" by "the lost boys".

So in all reality, this is a series of books that include creatures she really had no business writing about.


message 33: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Basically the reason edward sparkles is becuas he's actually a fairy, but Meyer didn't want to admit that she was having wet dreams about a fairy, because fairy is a byword for gay, and she's a mormon... so in her addled mind weak ass vampire was a better angle to take...

or some shit like that...


message 34: by Sable (new) - rated it 1 star

Sable That's one of the reasons that turned me off of Twilight. I like the 'Landshark' approach to vampires better than the romantic ones.


Alpha This topic is so debatable on why vamps sparkle. Some say its vamp evolution where their skin has armorized to withstand sunlight while others think its just something Meyer threw into the story.

Honestly, it didn't bother me and that's the way she wrote it so...


message 36: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV It wouldn't make sense at all from an evolutionary standpoint.


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

The Alpha Jan wrote: "This topic is so debatable on why vamps sparkle. Some say its vamp evolution where their skin has armorized to withstand sunlight"

That doesn't make sense. Meyer doesn't believe in evolution.


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know why people even care. Vampires, are not real so she has the right to make them what ever she wants.
People discuss this like vampires are real and she messed up some scientific fact. That is the way she envisioned it and it is not even a major part of the story. Sometimes I think people just go looking for something to complain about when something is successful.


message 39: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV Well, as I've already mentioned, it kind of is a big part of the story. Does it really make sense that these vampires are trying to remain secret while going to school during the day, in which the weather could unveil them at any moment with a sparkling surprise? "Oh, sorry guys, I rolled around in some glitter this morning" probably isn't going to cut it.


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Janiera wrote: "I don't know why people even care. Vampires, are not real so she has the right to make them what ever she wants.
People discuss this like vampires are real and she messed up some scientific fact. That is the way she envisioned it and it is not even a major part of the story. Sometimes I think people just go looking for something to complain about when something is successful. "


Did you ever stop to think that some people are fans of vampires and enjoy the folk lore behind them? Are these people not allowed to an opinion without being written off as "jealous"?


message 41: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV A lot of people don't seem to realize that, while suspension of belief is fine, it still requires things to make sense within a story.


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone who rated it 4 or 5 stars skipped over the flaws and just focused on the characters and their strange love affair.

Which is fine, but not every reader simply focuses on the characters. For me it takes more than just characters to drive a book home.


Kylee Warren(: I like It because it more out of the ordanairy and its not like you would see it coming. And i think it would be better to sparkle on the light then exploding and turning to ash like whats that about??


Valerie The Meyerpires didn't need to sparkle at all.

Did you know that the vampiric weakness to sunlight was first depicted in an old film, Nosfertau? (I may have misspelled that...) Burning is not a part of traditional vampiric lore.

Also, Dracula didn't burn, he simply weakened in the sunlight.

When explaining the sunlight thing to Bella, Edward could've easily dismissed the "Why can you go outside in the daytime?" comment with,

"Oh, that? Yeah. That was never a part of legend. It's in our modern image, yes, but the idea that we're vulnerable to sunlight is a recent myth."

Meyer should've done more research. Also, Bella wouldn't have to move to Forks, where it is perpetually cloudy. We don't know exactly why she went to Forks in the first place. :/

There. Two stupid things that could've been avoided if Meyer actually looked at really old vampire legends. Going back to the root of a creature is just as cool as re-inventing it.


Kamalika Talukdar its preety cool but what purpose does it serve?maybe the author wanted to create her own version of vampires.


Molly Valerie wrote: "The Meyerpires didn't need to sparkle at all.

Did you know that the vampiric weakness to sunlight was first depicted in an old film, Nosfertau? (I may have misspelled that...) Burning is not a p..."


Dracula isn't the only vampire though. There are a lot of different types, and they are all different. Chinese vampires (Jiang Shi) can't walk or run. They get around by hopping with their arms stretched out in front of them.

Strigoi vampires are killed by driving a nail into their forehead, shoving garlic under their tongue, then covering them in pig fat on St. Ignatius' day. I don't recall that being in a lot of recent books.

One asian vampire is able to separate its torso from its legs, with all it's internal organs and intestines hanging down.

Slavic vampires can turn into butterflies. Some don't even drink blood.

Ukrainian vampires have red faces and tiny tails.

In Roma, animals and tools could become vampires.

Dracula is an iconic vampire, but he's not the only vampire. There are a lot of different ideas and folklore surrounding them, so I don't see why it's such a crime that Meyer added her own twist to vampires, even if it is a weird one.


Kelsey I think its a great idea to have vampires sparkle and it is origional


Pedmy 3 things that annoyed/upset me about the Twilight Saga (which i openly admit to loving).

1. Bella's obsession with edward, and being overly weak until Breaking Dawn.
2. Edwards controlling personality (and other awkward behaviors)
3. Sparkling vampires/ Rock hard vampires when it comes to the conception of Renesmee.

I like to think Stephanie Meyer was trying to be creative when she came up with the idea of sparkling vampires and just fell a little short. 1Or maybe she thought it would be funny and different. Or she could have possibly wanted to be so different and was trying too hard. Or maybe she decided to wholeheartedly follow her dream.
No matter any of these I don't like the idea, but despite that I must say I still like the series as a whole no matter why she decided to create sparly vampire.


2Aura4507 Kali wrote: "2Aura4507 wrote: "okay 1st of all edward isnt ugly and 2nd people call me a vampire but still the whole sparkling thing is so stupid like the original vampire Vladimir also known as dracula doesn't..."
lol but i know Vlad wasnt really a vampire but still the whole idea of sparkling is stupid


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

VioletEmerald wrote: "Why does Meyer have to subject herself to a research that conflicts with her morals?"

If the subject matter conflicts with her morals than why would she write about it?


« previous 1 3
back to top