Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > [Buddy Read] Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments Isabella and I are doing a buddy read of Naked in Death next week, starting around Nov 14. Feel free to join us.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments already read/listened to it - but i'll chat with you guys about it ;)

message 3: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Can't wait to start this. Looking forward to chatting about it.

message 4: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 963 comments I, too, already read this book, but I loved it and am willing to chat about it. I put off reading it for a long time, and now I can't stop reading the series!

message 5: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments It's 14 already, so I guess I'm free to start reading it today, anyone is starting today?
Christine thanks for opening this thread, I'm so happy more people are joining us for the discussion and Leslie is reading it with us.
Thanks Leslie, Dee, Nancy :)

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I should be able to start reading it this evening. I've heard so much talk about this series I'm excited to finally check it out for myself.

message 7: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I started this last night. I had a hard time putting it down, it finally put itself down when my nook hit the floor! Woke up early to continue reading. I'm on page 193 now. Cannot believe I have put off reading this series until now. I will be compulsively buying all others in the series, I can tell.

message 8: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 963 comments Leslie wrote: "I started this last night. I had a hard time putting it down, it finally put itself down when my nook hit the floor! Woke up early to continue reading. I'm on page 193 now. Cannot believe I have..."

Leslie, The exact same thing happened to me! I put off reading it for years and then finally picked this one up this summer and read it while on a plane trip and now I cannot stop getting the next ones and reading them as fast as I can! I know exactly what you mean!

message 9: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Okay, I finished it while sitting in the waiting room today. Gave it a solid 5 stars. Excellently drawn characters and futuristic world. The investigating aspect of the story was interesting. And every woman needs a Rourke! Now I'm going to be obsessed with a whole new series to buy on my nook!! I'll be interested to discuss further when more people have finished.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I made it to page 100. I'm intrigued by Roarke, but I have to confess I'm not sure why he's so fascinated with Eve. I guess I always find it a little hard to believe when these rich guys who can have anything and anyone they want latch onto the tough-as-nails woman who is the complete opposite of what you'd expect they'd go for. Then again, I guess that's part of the allure. The thrill of the hunt and all that. I just wish I could run into some gorgeous rich guy who's secretly looking for a nerdy scientist with three kids. Oh, wait, my husband might not approve. I knew there was a flaw in that plan. : (
But I digress. There are some things in the writing that aren't perfect for me, but I'm still really enjoying the book and can't wait to watch the mystery unravel.

message 11: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments Leslie congratulation you finished already, I'm amazed by you not just for finishing in less than 24h but also you decided already to buy the whole series (+-40books) wow!!
I guess Christine and me are reading at the same pace. I'm in chapter 8 now :( yeah too slow. Kids won't allow us spending too much time with our book isn't it Christine?
I like the romance between Roarke and Eve and the mystery in the murders. I'm trying to guess who's the killer, but I have no idea, so I must keep reading to find a clue. For me until now it's 4 stars something missing!!

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I'm starting chapter 8 myself after I get the kids to bed. I'm hoping to get a better sense of Roarke tonight and gets some more clues about the mystery.

message 13: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments I wonder why Eve waited until now to question sharon's family, first I thought it most b the senator the one who killed her but my doubt was quickly erased when Eve received the tape of Sharon's death. Now I wonder if it's someone from her family.

message 14: by Christine (last edited Nov 16, 2011 06:07AM) (new)

Christine | 955 comments I didn't get nearly as far last night as I had hoped, only about 150 pages in now. When Eve did finally question Sharon's mother, red flags went up for me when she said that Sharon told her she was blind to things going on in her own family. Made me immediately think Sharon had been abused or molested, which would explain her going into the profession she did and her disdain of men. I was surprised that Eve didn't jump all over that statement. That makes it look like it might have been a family member, but then how do the other five women that are to be killed fit in, unless there is a larger political objective at play. Given Lola's description of the guy (if I recall she thought he was kind of cute/handsome) it clearly isn't the senator, at least not directly. I'm kind of liking the Senator's aide for the murders at this point, but I've still got quite a bit to read.

message 15: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments Oh Christine, you hit the nail on the head. that's what I thought exactly plus we've got Lola calling the murderer "Daddy" so it made me think of Sharon's father, maybe he's not her real father or something and she used to call him daddy, and someone who really knew her to know she kept a diary.
I made it yesterday until p.155 chapter 11.

message 16: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments I did it. Eve's lack of sleep got into me it cost me the whole night but at last i finished it. My poor kids tomorrow will find their mother sleeping the whole day :(

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments Good for you. I've got about 40 pages left to go. When I kept having to reread the same sentence over and over because I couldn't understand it, I knew it was time to give up and get some sleep. But I will definitely be able to finish it tonight after work.
Roarke has grown on me. I like the flashes you get of him not even quite understanding why he is so drawn to Eve.
Now I'm wondering if Sharon was killed by one person, and a different, but connected, person is killing the other women in an effort to distract and mislead the investigation? I guess I'll find out tonight.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Eve and lack of sleep is a common theme through the series ;)

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments Well, it looks like I may get a day at home today (sadly because of a sick kid) so I may get to finish this sooner than I thought.

message 20: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments So I didn't sleep the whole day as I pretended to do
Instead I woke up with my head swimming in words and scenes f the book mixing in my dreams. :)
I hope your kid is better now Christine and got nothing serious.
I almost gave it a low rating in the middle of the book we were running on a cold case. But of course I couldn't underrate a good writer. These slow parts of the story with the author distracting us with sex scenes and a neighbor who got killed just made me crave for more action and this didn't change until the last 50 pages of the book at last something heated up. But then I was deceived again by Eve as she didn't solve the case alone, she counted on Roarke's help and as Feeney described her somewhere in the first part of the book she got more muscles than brain and that was so true.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments My little trooper (he's 3 and 1/2) insisted he wasn't sick and wanted to go to preschool. Since I had a meeting that I really shouldn't miss, I let him go. He did seem much better once he was up and about for a while. So, I will finish the book tonight.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I don't remember the first one precisely, but in the later ones, its not so much that she counts on his help, but rather, grudeingly accepts it

message 23: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Christine, yes unfortunately (or fortunately sometimes) I read very fast.
I also like the relationship that is developing between Rourke and Eve. She is tough and he is tough but together it seems they are better. And the author does not create artificial tension just to show how "tough" Eve is, which happens alot in books. Nor does she have Rourke getting angry and creating artificial problems when she is investigating him. I really don't like manipulated situations in a storyline.
The only thing in the murder investigation that did not quite ring true is the lack of scrutiny on the family. The grandfather and his lackey were never truly interviewed. Other family members were never interviewed. That seemed an oversight. I did figure out pretty early who did it, but it didn't stop the suspense for me. I'm not crazy about surprises anyway!
And I will get the series a little bit at a time! I've gotten the next two and am excited to read them.

message 24: by Christine (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:22AM) (new)

Christine | 955 comments Finished it last night. I can't quite give it five stars, but it's a solid four star read for me and I will definitely check out others in the series.

I figured it out before the big reveal, and quite frankly was surprised Eve didn't. She gave up much too quickly on her instinct that there were two killers and it should have been obvious to her that the guy giving the Senator an alibi might also be involved.

As for Eve counting on Roarke for help at the end, I read it more as her making use of his resources to quickly handle a situation that could blow up at any moment versus actually needing his help. I'm curious to see how their relationship evolves and how his involvement in her cases is handled in future books. Plus, I want to know more about Roarke and his past, and is Eve ever going to try to track down her parents?

message 25: by Christine (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:30AM) (new)

Christine | 955 comments Leslie, I agree about the evolution of Roark and Eve's relationship. Too often authors have characters say or do something just plain stupid in an effort to add drama or drag out the story. It's always nice to see the characters actually talk to one another about what's bothering them and deal with it maturely. If only people could do that more in real life!

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments And I actually picked up book three and four at a local used book store the other day. However, given that I simply must read a series in order, I've got to track down book 2 before I can read them. My local library doesn't have the earlier books, and I haven't made the transition to an e-reader yet.

message 27: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Christine wrote: "And I actually picked up book three and four at a local used book store the other day. However, given that I simply must read a series in order, I've got to track down book 2 before I can read the..."
I've heard the second book is very good. If you get it and want to buddy read that one as well, just let me know. I love my nook!! So easy (sometimes too easy) to get books.
And I agree with you about Eve. She did give up to easily on that line of questioning. It's the only thing that bugged me.

message 28: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 27 comments I'm on book #10 in the series...it's a great series!
And you definitely should read it in order -- the stories have elements that build on each others, especially the Eve/Roarke relationship and Eve coming to terms with herself.

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments I'd certainly be up for another buddy read of the second book, which I'll probably end up ordering soon (not that I'm OCD about buying books in a series or anything). I know I can't get to it until sometime next month. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, just let me know.

And I'm bad enough about buying print books, plus checking free ones out from the library, I dread to think what would happen to my wallet if I could just download them on impulse. Although it would make traveling easier....

message 30: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Christine wrote: "I'd certainly be up for another buddy read of the second book, which I'll probably end up ordering soon (not that I'm OCD about buying books in a series or anything). I know I can't get to it unti..."

I won't be ready to read the second one til next month as well, so that works fine with me. Maybe around the 12th of December? Let me know and we can start a thread if anyone else is interested.

As to e-readers, checking out books at the library works so much better for me- they just disapear off my nook at the end of the lending period-no more late fees!!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments Leslie wrote: "I won't be ready to read the second one til next month as well, so that works fine with me. Maybe around the 12th of December?"

That should work for me. I'm looking forward to it. This has been fun.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments re: Eve and her parents...her history slowly comes out through-out the books - it isn't pretty...book 13/14 (Reunion in Death) is when a lot of it culminates

message 33: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments Christine US wrote: "I'm on book #10 in the series...it's a great series!
And you definitely should read it in order -- the stories have elements that build on each others, especially the Eve/Roarke relationship a

I done exactly the opposite I read book #13 and book #4 and I realized it isn't cool reading this series in such disorder way. It got a continuous integration and character development so it most be read in order as you said.
I don't deny it's a good written series with a strong expectation, but it got 4 stars from me, I don't know if it would be 5 stars if I've started it in a graduation order form.

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine | 955 comments Okay, I've got book 2, Ceremony in Death. So I'm good to go for a buddy read next month. I'll start another thread when we get a little bit closer.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Naked in Death (other topics)