Lexington Reads discussion

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
This topic is about A Walk in the Woods
group reads > "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patricia | 1 comments Does anyone know why this was the choice for One Book One Bluegrass? I'm just curious...

message 2: by Doug (last edited Nov 12, 2011 07:26PM) (new)

Doug | 58 comments Mod
I asked the One Book One Bluegrass coordinator, who has gathered 10 counties to participate. She said the One Book One Bluegrass selection is all about finding a title with broad appeal, that can prompt some conversation and lends itself to quality programs. "A Walk in the Woods" was chosen because of our region's proximity to the Appalachian Trail, our own abundant natural beauty, and a desire to use this year's One Book One Bluegrass to draw attention to this natural beauty.

Melanie Shapiro (melanshap) | 11 comments I'm really pleased that "A Walk in the Woods" is this year's selection. It's a great excuse to read the book which has been highly recommended by many. I'm looking forward to the programming component that the library develops.

message 4: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Calico (lyndseycalico) | 2 comments A Walk in the Woods is an EXCELLENT choice. I love Bryson, and this is a hilarious take on a very serious endeavor by hikers, and non-hikers alike. I used to think I'd love to hike the AT, not now! ;)

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I read it a few years ago & liked it quite a lot, too. It doesn't involve KY at all, though.

message 6: by Kit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kit I'm about 180 pages into book. Its great. Love the humor. I actually spent about an hour on the trail on Skyline Dry. (early 1970's) It was beatiful! :D

message 7: by Doug (new)

Doug | 58 comments Mod
To me, there are two "A Walk in the Woods." One with Katz and one without. The one without is interesting and informative. The one with Katz is all that and lots of fun. Starting sans Katz and then introducing him for the start of the hike made for great reading, but once he left, I just couldn't go back to interesting and informative. Would it have been possible to end with Katz, using a flashback to the start of the trail? Would it have worked better? Would it have mattered?

Stephanie (siphikins) | 2 comments Hey all, I'm going to give this book a try. I've never really picked up a nonfiction book to read on purpose before so this will be a new experience for me. Have a great day!

J.P. (jahlapenos1975) Stephanie wrote: "Hey all, I'm going to give this book a try. I've never really picked up a nonfiction book to read on purpose before so this will be a new experience for me. Have a great day!"

A Walk in the Woods is a good place to start. Very good, very funny. :)

message 10: by Kit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kit Stephanie wrote: "Hey all, I'm going to give this book a try. I've never really picked up a nonfiction book to read on purpose before so this will be a new experience for me. Have a great day!"

I really enjoyed his sense of humor. I think you will like this book. He's quite a character (as well as his partner in crime). :D

message 11: by Doug (new)

Doug | 58 comments Mod
For discussion questions and information on the One Book One Bluegrass events in the month of April (in nine counties), check out the website: www.onebookonebluegrass.org.

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary The humor in this book is characteristic of Bill Bryson's other books. He and the hilarious Katz travel around Europe together in "Neither Here Nor There." Bryson lived in England for twenty years, and his "Notes from a Small Island" is a funny love letter to the United Kingdom. I recommend both books.