Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

ebooks

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Abby Helstrip kindle or kobos
whats the difference?
what are your views on kindle or kobos?
can you download ebooks which are meant for kobos and still put them in your kindle library?
if not, which one is better, kindle or kobos?

Sarah Baethge I love my Kindle, but have never seen a Kobo.
If you get the free program here: http://calibre-ebook.com/ , it can change the file-type between most types of ebooks so it shouldn't matter which one you buy. I suggest you check out a physical example of each one, and get the one you'd be more comfortable reading with.

Kristen I have a Kindle 2. I researched them all when I was looking to buy about a year ago and I remember the Kindle had WAY more to offer than any of the others.
But now, I couldn't say since they've all got new versions....ideally it'd be best for you to try them out first - I got mine at Target so I could see it first. But I don't know if you can do that with the Kobo.
Anyway, you could look on Amazon and the Kobo websites to see the features and then decide what you want more - that's what I did. Because, honestly, no matter how much someone loves one or the other, you might hate it.

AnnieB i dont like kindles. I like holding the book in my hand.

Diane I have a Kindle 3. I've never actually tested a Kobo so I can't make a comparison.

Kindle 3 is great. The supported format is .mobi but I downloaded Calibre (like Sarah) so I can convert most ebook formats.

Whatever ebook reader you're getting make sure it caters to what you need it for. Check which features you like and decide which suits you best.

Rachel I have a Nook Color (the older version) but I've read reviews that say the newer version is at least as good as, if not better than the Kindle Fire.

I personally love touchscreens and the color aspect, and as far as the number of available books, Barnes & Noble (Nook) has a larger selection than Amazon (Kindle).

The e-ink display in regular Kindles and regular Nooks has no light glare, but doesn't light up, so think about whether you want to read in the dark a lot (in which case you'd want a Nook Color or Kindle Fire) or in bright light or sunlight (e-ink display).

It looks like Kobo's prices are a bit high, and I don't know how wide their selection is since they aren't as big a company as the other two.

Just having a reader of any kind is amazing, so have fun with whatever you choose! ^_^

message 7: by Alisa (last edited Nov 16, 2011 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alisa Actually, I bought the Kindle 3 over the Nook because I don't need/want touch screen. I like being able to hold the thing without worry about touching the screen by accident and mess up my spot or what have you.

I LOVE the e-ink display the most. No, it doesn't light up, but you can buy a light for it. The reason why it doesn't light up is because backlighting is bad for your eyes. My eyes are sensitive and I can't stay on my laptop for long like I used to when I was younger (I'm 24 now). With e-ink, it's literally like looking at a real page inside a real book. And I do read in bed every single night from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. (seriously!) It's the only time I can read uninterrupted and it doesn't bother me with the light and it doesn't hurt my eyes at all.

I think for books available, it's the same between the two. There are lots of small authors who self-publish on Amazon, but I'm not sure if they can do that through B&N or not. I like B&N just as much as Amazon so I'm not really against one or the other. Kindle just fit my needs/wants better (though I wish color was available in addition to e-ink so I can switch between novels and graphic novels).

Kobo, I believe comes from Borders who recently closed down a lot of stores from bankruptcy. Not sure on that though.

Definitely go to the stores (Best Buy, Target, etc) and handle them in person. They have different features and you'll know after a few minutes which one you prefer to get!

Pamela Anne wrote: "i dont like kindles. I like holding the book in my hand."

I agree. However, more and more books will only be available in ebook format. Talk about sad.

Emily Donnellan I got a Nook Simple Touch free with my credit cards rewards points and I love it! I would recommend trying them all out at walmart or another similar store though just to see what you like.

In all honestly I probably would have bough a Kindle if the Nook handn't been such a good price! Can't beat free =)

Lindis Russell Anne wrote: "i dont like kindles. I like holding the book in my hand."

I like holding a book too, but my library space is running out in the house! : ) I love my Kindle, but I still buy books.

Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile) I LOVE my SONY E-Reader!
But came to the conclusion that no matter what, if you can find the actual book it's much better!

message 12: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle I love ebooks but I think it's giving at lot of authors excuses to put out cramp they rush so fast to get it out they don't proof read and fine tune it anymore.You can take a book back to the store if you don't like it you get stuck with the ebook.

Pamela Chantelle wrote: "I love ebooks but I think it's giving at lot of authors excuses to put out cramp they rush so fast to get it out they don't proof read and fine tune it anymore.You can take a book back to the store..."

Chantelle: Speaking about proofreading, I'd like to know what happened to all the editors out there. Have they all been replaced? The number of spelling and grammatical errors I've come across this past year is unbelievable. I even read a book where the name of the main heroine was named something completely different. They weren't even close. I couldn't believe it.

Claire I love holding books and the smell of new books, but I really love my Kindle. You can get a new book in under a minute, read pdf's on it and ebooks do tend to be cheaper.

message 15: by Gail (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gail I have a Kobo that I got for a steal when my local Border's went out of business. I have never actually bought a book with it. I do, however, get books from my local library on it all of the time via the Adobe Reader program. I have looked at the Nook and still feel that my Kobo was a good purchase. I was very hesitant to purchase an ereader in the first place because I also love the feel of a book in my hands, but when I saw that I could borrow books from the library with it I was sold. It's so great to be able to use my library for both solid books and ebooks.

message 16: by Tiff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiff I was dead set on never owning an ereader because I prefer a real book to hold onto. But because I no longer have any local bookstore I caved and got a Nook Color. I must say that even though nothing beats a real book, I love my nook. More affordable books and I don't have to either go out and get them (... if I had a place to get them) and it's instantaneous with no wait for the mail.

message 17: by Alawayh (new)

Alawayh I have sony :(

Fatimah I have a nook with e-ink, and I absolutely love it!

Angela I have a Kobo wifi, and I love it. I didn't want to be tied to Amazon for all my books so that made my mind up. I also wanted to be able to download library books, which you can't do in England if you have a Kindle. I was actually torn between buying the Kobo and a Bookeen Opus, but the Kobo won out because the screen was a bit bigger. I love paper books but I also love ebooks, and I work as a library assistant so I get to see both sides of the story (no pun intended!) I've literally run out of space at home to store any more books, so the Kobo has helped with that!

Pamela I don't have an ebook yet. However, I've read 3 short books on my laptop through the Kindle program. In all the books, there wasn't any proper formatting. For example, I'd be reading from the heroine (first person), and then without jumping to a new paragraph or page or a line to separate the first person narrative to the second person narrative, it all just ran together. It would show up on the next line without even a space between. I couldn't figure out what was going on without re-reading the lines a few times. Is this normal for all ebooks? I don't like this feature. I do hope this made sense.

Louisa I did my research before deciding on the kindle. The main advantages for kindle over the other e-readers is the price of the books, amazon have the cheapest books, you can get loads for free, especially the classics and some are like 77p whereas if you choose the kobo there isn't much difference in price to the paperbacks.
I think at the minute the kindle is the best, i think there probably isn't a lot of differnce in the atual readers themselves but because if you have a kindle your pretty much just going to buy books from amazon then they can aford to make everything cheaper. Whereas if you have a kobo you could get books from waterstones or smiths- but they'd be more expensive.

I know the americans have the nook as well, but i don't really know anything about that. I've heard good things about it though, I think they are ahead of the game because they have a touch e-reader which still uses the e-ink technology whereas the kindle fire is just like any other tablet computer.

I've had to completely eat my words regarding e-readers before i had one i was completely against them, arguing that i'd hate not haivng the paper, but now i have one, i will admit it is much simpler. (:

Pamela I have a Sony ereader, had one for years but just go the new one and I love it. despite kindle being the most popular I didn't want one for a few reasons. Firstly you are tied into purchasing from Amazon with Kindle where as I can buy from a range of companies.

I can also view a wide range of publication types epub etc but also pdf. You can't do that with Kindle.

Finally the set up. Kindle have the page turn up the side. I can swipe the page or have a handy button at the bottom. - friends with kindles have complained that it is not the most convenient place to have a button.

Louisa Pamela-You can view pdfs on kindle

Pamela Louizzza wrote: "Pamela-You can view pdfs on kindle"

Can you? *off to check* yes you can - thanks for the correction. They wont read epub though & I have a lot of them.

Can you borrow library ebooks with a kindle?

message 25: by Caro (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caro I love My Sony E-Reader! It was the perfect gift!
I will always love to hold my real books but it's a perfect solution for space!

Angela Pamela wrote: "Louizzza wrote: "Pamela-You can view pdfs on kindle"

Can you? *off to check* yes you can - thanks for the correction. They wont read epub though & I have a lot of them.

Can you borrow librar..."

You can't borrow library ebooks with a kindle in England - Amazon won't allow it. Epub books are fine though (I work in a library!)

Angela Louizzza wrote: "I did my research before deciding on the kindle. The main advantages for kindle over the other e-readers is the price of the books, amazon have the cheapest books, you can get loads for free, espec..."

I've got nearly 300 books on my Kobo, and I've not bought one of them from Kobo yet. However, I have downloaded quite a lot of their free ones. Amazon aren't the only ones that have free ebooks. I cruise the internet every now and then, looking at all the booksellers, and they all have free/cheap book offers which they change on a regular basis so I find it quite easy to pick up new reading matter.
Kobo also have a touch screen e-ink reader out now - I had a play with one in WHSmiths and I liked it alot.

Pamela Angela wrote: "Epub books are fine though (I work in a library!)

Now that one I was confident of, another quick google search and what I am reading is that you have to convert the file to another format that kindle can read.

Pamela Angela wrote: "I've got nearly 300 books on my Kobo, and I've not bought one of them from Kobo yet. However, I have downloaded quite a lot of their free ones. Amazon aren't the only ones that have free ebooks. I cruise the internet every now and then, looking at all the booksellers, and they all have free/cheap book offers which they change on a regular basis so I find it quite easy to pick up new reading matter.
Kobo also have a touch screen e-ink reader out now - I had a play with one in WHSmiths and I liked it lot.

I used to buy quite a bit from WHSmith, they have just given kobo all their ebook business, and I have used the kobo site now. It gives you lots of free books for kobo, but only some free books in epub.

Project Gutebberg is good for free older books look at www.gutenberg.org

Angela Pamela wrote: "Angela wrote: "Epub books are fine though (I work in a library!)

Now that one I was confident of, another quick google search and what I am reading is that you have to convert the file to anoth..."

"Mobi" format I believe. You can do this with a program called Calibre. I did try it for my mother-in-law who has a Kindle (and is cross that she can't download library books!), but for some reason she can't get them to load on her Kindle. I will have to have a go for her and see if she is doing something wrong.

Angela Pamela wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've got nearly 300 books on my Kobo, and I've not bought one of them from Kobo yet. However, I have downloaded quite a lot of their free ones. Amazon aren't the only ones that have ..."

.....not sure I understand you? Kobo does use epub; that and pdf.
I've got some from Project Gutenberg too, and Smashwords which is good. Oh, and Feedbooks as well.

Pamela Angela wrote: ".....not sure I understand you? Kobo does use epub; that and pdf.
I've got some from Project Gutenberg too, and Smashwords which is good. Oh, and Feedbooks as well.

I found some free books on kobo which I could download to a kobo account - and I assume to a kobo reader. But they were not epub they seemed to be a kobo own publication. There may be some sort of conversation you can do to put them on other ereaders but I found it easier to just ditch kobo and get the same book from gutenberg.

Will check out Smashwords :)

Louisa You guys are making me feel considerably less geeky haha, whats epub?

Pamela epub is short for electronic publication. It is Adobe's format; .epub for ebooks. It is the most common format outside of Apple & Kindle products.

Louisa Oh i see, i getcha, thanks. (: