The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > 11/22/1963: A Novel

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments I am about 10% into this book and I am loving it already. Its a return to the old Stephen King. Time travel, unrealistic situation, great dialog, and characters who breathe right off the page.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (IntheCongo) | 15 comments I'm listening to the audio book (read by Craig Wasson) and loving it as well. It's made me laugh, tear up, be startled, be surprised and amazed. The portrait of the 60s is engaging and affectionate and almost makes you want to live there.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments I'm really interested in finding someone who disliked The Dark Tower books as much as I did and read this one. It's one thing for fans of King's work to read this and say it's great. But I've only read 2 of his books (the first two in The Dark Tower, The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three) and I really didn't like them. Based on that, I'm also hesitant to try The Stand, which people have said I should try. The premise of this one is interesting, but I'm not ready to give him another go.

Soo...if anybody here reads this and didn't like The Dark Tower books, let me know! ;)

message 4: by Michael (last edited Dec 11, 2011 09:37AM) (new)

Michael (IntheCongo) | 15 comments terpkristin wrote: "I'm really interested in finding someone who disliked The Dark Tower books as much as I did and read this one. It's one thing for fans of King's work to read this and say it's great. But I've only ..."

I've read The Gunslinger. It didn't make me want to read The Drawing of the Three and I tried to read The Stand but only got about 60 % in. I did read The Eyes of the Dragon and enjoyed that.

Steven King is a much better writer today than he was in the 70s. I always had trouble generating empathy for his protagonists in his earlier work and found them to be cardboard and boring to a certain extent. His books then succeeded on how imaginative and well explored the premise was.

11-22-63 is different. The story depends on character and I found them well made. I may be a little biased because I listened to the Audible version and Craig Wasson does a very good job giving life to each one. Some of the voices are little derivative (watch out for the brief John Wayne impression) but all are well performed.

The story itself takes place in a world we know (as opposed to The Dark Tower) and were it not for the time travel device could easily be read as a spy thriller that took place in the 60s. For me the magic of the story is, yes the chase, but also the portrait of the time that was. It is real and you care about it. I barely remember the 60s myself (having been born in the last half) but what I do remember reinforces the verisimilitude of the story. I remember women still having big hair and far more smokers than we have now.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story and how moved I was by the end.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments terpkristin wrote: "I'm really interested in finding someone who disliked The Dark Tower books as much as I did and read this one. It's one thing for fans of King's work to read this and say it's great. But I've only ..."

I read The Gunslinger, but it didn't appeal enough to me to keep on. I just started listening to 11/22/63 and am really enjoying it so far. I like how the narrator says the past really stinks because of pollution and smoking, but root beer tastes so much better. He's really doing a good job of bringing the past to life and comparing/contrasting it with the present.

message 6: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments I loved the Stand and hated the Dark Tower series. The Stand is in my top 10 favorite books of all time.