Stephen King discussion

Favorite Stephen King Movie?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShannonCinderz) | 8 comments Can we start new topics in this group? Just wondering. I'd enjoy that if I could. I hope that would be ok.

My favorite King movie has to be MISERY. Never have I felt so much for a character in a King movie before. The reason the movie is such a horrific treat for me is that the situation is believable, as if it very well could happen to someone. Of all the fans spread out on the map, of all the places in the world for this poor guy to wreck, it had to be THERE! Yet, you have to be both horrified and thankful at the same time. Talk about your predicaments! The author has to suddenly turn into an actor to please and fool this crazed fan to survive, and yet... even when he does a good job of it, he would not know that he would still be doomed to die. This is helplessness and suffering at its finest, all done in the setting of one room. Absolutely loved it.

message 2: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 9 comments Rob Reiner really is the go to man for King adaptations, with both Stand by Me and Misery being mighty fine movies. The late Richard Farnsworth was great as the local sheriff, but it is all Kathy Bates really.

I've got a lot of time for the Salem's Lot TV movie as I'm a huge James Mason fan and there are actually some genuinely frightening sequences in it - the brother at the window and the Nosferatu-like vamp, for example.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShannonCinderz) | 8 comments I am ashamed to say, I have never ever read or watched Salem's Lot.

O-o

And I have no idea why.
Shameful, to say the least, from a real King fan as I claim to be.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShannonCinderz) | 8 comments Wait a minute.... I've come running back in to realize that I failed to mention The Green Mile. If I had to choose between the 1st thought of MISERY being my favorite, or The Green Mile... Truth is I'd much rather watch The Green Mile.

Then again, I would be dying to watch Misery again right afterward. ;)

Rohan. I shall add Salem's Lot to my Netflix que.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure can start new discussions!!
I would have to say Cat's Eye, but I don't know why

message 6: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 9 comments And ashamedly Josiah, I have never seen it. Good stuff Shannon, regarding The Green Mile. I bought the books in their original serialised form. That was some anxious waiting around for my next narrative installment, but entirely worth it. The film could only be disappointing in comparison, but it fared relatively well. Haven't watched it since its cinema release though, so might have to give it another look. Tom Hanks was white-hot popular at that point.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You should see Cats Eye, it's an adaptation of three stories from night shift: Quitters Inc., The Ledge and The General

message 8: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 9 comments Josiah wrote: "You should see Cats Eye, it's an adaptation of three stories from night shift: Quitters Inc., The Ledge and The General"

Will hunt it down Josiah, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, cool. It's only M in New Zealand and in America ot's PG-13

message 10: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 9 comments http://berryapercu.wordpress.com/2011...

Here's a review of the 1984 adaptation of King's Firestarter, featuring Drew Barrymore. Watched it again recently and was actually surprised by how well the movie has held up. Barrymore and George C. Scott are both excellent in it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I have not read Firestarter, although have seen the movie. Is it wprth it?

message 12: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 9 comments Kyle - Absolutely spot on with the Kathy Bates comments. She gave a real powerhouse in the movie, making it an adaptation that was impossible to ignore. Even though I prefer the ending to the novel, the film is still a masterpiece of suspense. Never has a ceramic penguin been so menacing.

Josiah - The novel Firestarter is well worth reading as it gives much more detailed background on both the Lot 6 experiments and Rainbird's heritage, things that get a little lost in the mix in the film.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok. I'll save Firestarter for later wjen I don't remember much from the movie.

message 14: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 7 comments I'm going to have to go with The Green Mile, but that was tough. I really enjoyed almost every one I've seen. I like The Shining a lot but I personally barely call that a Stephen King movie since it was more like Stanley Kubric's creation, King didn't even like it so much. I also really liked Misery, and of course Thinner since I said in my into, it was filmed in my home town, so I love looking for all the familiar places in it.

message 15: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 7 comments I dont like scary movies, so sadly, I dont watch many Stephen King ones, I'm too much of a baby

message 16: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 1 comments lol Cassie I love ya, but you are so backwards! You read all of his books but you can't watch the movies. I know you always freak at scary movies (haha The Ring?) but it's not like you don't know what happens

message 17: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 7 comments books don't scare me so much haha i dont have to SEE the scary so its not so bad, plus things dont pop out at me