Classics for Beginners discussion

Recommendations > King Arthur/Merlin

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 52 comments I am currently reading The Crystal Cave but am looking to read more Arthur/Merlin books. I want to read Thomas Mallory and Alfred Lord Tennyson's books. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Jessi

message 2: by Pola (new)

Pola | 6 comments How about reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? I have read it and really liked it! and it was for a university assignment.. Hope you fond it helpful.

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 11, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Well there's always The Once and Future King and King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table for classic Arthurian tales.

If you want interesting modern takes on the mythology try Here Lies Arthur or Taliesin, Merlin and Arthur. Personally I love the myths of King Arthur and even modern takes are quite intriguing.

message 4: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 52 comments Thanks so much Pola and Jonathan I shall check them out =)

message 5: by Iulia (new)

Iulia (iuliagotbooks) | 15 comments I suggest you try The Mists of Avalon by M Z Bradley, really good book and different from other interpretations of the legend you might've read.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris | 83 comments For a whole different spin: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

kwesi 章英狮 (kwesifriends) | 138 comments If you want to read about Merlin, try The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron.

message 8: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 52 comments I have heard about this one. I really have to check it out. Gotten a lot of recommendations for this. Thank you so much =)

Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "If you want to read about Merlin, try The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron."

message 9: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose I'm really into older works and medieval works. In my experience, the best "Arthurian" books have King Arthur as a part of the setting, but have another character as the central focus. As mentioned above,
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
is fantastic.
One of the best books is
Yvain The Knight of the Lion by Chrétien de Troyes Yvain: The Knight of the Lion by Chrétien de Troyes (Burton Raffel translation).
Also great is
Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach
Meanwhile, some very early stories related to some of the Arthurian knights can be found in
The Mabinogion by Sioned Davies The Mabinogion which is quite bizarre and almost anarchic.
Finally, Arthur is mentioned, and a long strange Prophecy of Merlin can be found in
The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth

Compared to these, I found Malory's Le Mort d'Arthur too dull to muddle through.

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) And don't forget The Song of Roland by Anonymous.

message 11: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 11 comments My favorites have remained any of Howard Pyle's collection.

message 12: by John (new)

John Garner (jdgarner68) | 82 comments Jack Whyte has a series of books on King Arthur. He bases the books on a realistic approach on how Arthur's Kingdom developed just after the Roman's pull out of England and the invaders infiltrate the vacuum. The Knights are mostly half Roman, half Briton people who chose to stay behind on the island and try and protect their civilized way of life.

message 13: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 131 comments Of course, there's always the original history of King Arthur (my personal favorite):

Le Morte D'Arthur

Here's one a found I used bookstore years ago that I quite liked:

Arthur Rex: A Legendary Novel

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 5 comments Ian McDowell

Merlin's Gift and Mordred's Curse are fun reads

message 15: by John (new)

John Garner (jdgarner68) | 82 comments Iulia wrote: "I suggest you try The Mists of Avalon by M Z Bradley, really good book and different from other interpretations of the legend you might've read."

Also an excellent movie.

message 16: by Ron (last edited Jan 09, 2015 07:01AM) (new)

Ron (theronthatgotaway) Greetings, I just want to share this series for those who want some retellings, and this is The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell, you won't be disappointed;

The Winter King;
Enemy of God;
and
Excalibur

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love King Arthur! Did anyone read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur. A little tough for me, but very good still.

message 18: by Bill (last edited Aug 25, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) I am reading Merlin's Mirror by Andre Norton Merlin's Mirror by Andre Norton.