Lord of the Flies Lord of the Flies discussion

My Review

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathis (last edited Nov 13, 2011 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mathis Bailey This gruesome book makes you think about how civil human-beings can instantly turn into savages under dire circumstances. I feel this book was inspired by the Second World War due to the fact it was written shortly after that event; there are subtle references between the two events. Definitely not a tale to read to the kiddies before bedtime. I thought the plethora of characters were well developed, but the writing was lacking a bit. The author kept losing me whenever the children went on expedition or hid in the island's foliage; I found myself perusing some pages just to envision what was taking place clearly. But all in all, it's a meaningful, thrilling tale that will have your chest pounding right up to the very end.

The book is about a group of young English boys getting stranded on a remote deserted island after surviving a plane crash. Fights and tension flare agmonst the boys when some witness a beast lurking in the island's dark forest.

Zulfiya An insightful review. Good job, Mathis.

Michael This takes me back to junior high English class.

Geoffrey Except that there is hint of the A-bomb in the beginning. I doubt that it was WWII but some unforseen war in the future.

Audrey bleh

Richard cracking book, makes it hard to look at kids playing in the same way again.

Mathis Bailey Sandyboy wrote: "cracking book, makes it hard to look at kids playing in the same way again."

I'm with ya, Sandyboy. The attacks against the two boys were just brutal.

Geoffrey I recall reading the LIFE magazine story about the film project and remember that the boys, off set, were feeding chameleons to the electric fan.

message 9: by Huw (new) - rated it 4 stars

Huw Evans LOTF is a truly horrid read about the breakdown of society in the face of crisis. It has stayed with me since having to read it for O-level English Literature. The fact that the agonists are choirboys makes the disintegration of their norms all the more appalling. It shows how thin the veneer of civilisation is and that those who take on leadership are often those least suited to do it. Ironcally, Piggy would have been the best leader had he been able to achieve cohesion of group. However, his physical shortcomings prevented him from being seen as anything other than a freak.

Mandy Huw, long time since I an recall anyone referencing "o" levels! Flashbacks!

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Simms LOTF is an excellent read as well as literary genius that includes, but is certainly not limited to, abandonment; societal breakdown; religion; ritual; tyranny; segregation; hate and violence; fragile alliance; and ambition: a microcosmic look at mankind's struggle for survival and dominance. LOTF is a study of the human condition and a metaphor that evil comes from within, not without.

message 12: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Lee It left me as some books do, scratching my head, because in some ways there was no closure. One puzzle was how long were the boys on that island? There was mention of the A-bomb, how did they survive that? There was mentioned several times by the characters of being "dropped in", that was kind of confusing. Any thoughts??

message 13: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J In the end, the boys were back to being boys. Will they have those terrifying incidents in their mind for the rest of their life? So many questions....

message 14: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat I hated this book

message 15: by Mathis (last edited Apr 03, 2012 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mathis Bailey Andromeda Nicole (Little Duck) wrote: "I hated this book"

Why did you hate it Nicole? Just wondering. A penny for your thoughts.

Nathaniel Bertram You know, there is an actual review section for reviews... as opposed the discussion section... for discussions... in which you posted a review.... yeah.

message 17: by Lena (last edited Apr 24, 2012 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena Haha, I'm with you on that one!

But I must say, the island in LOTF is supposed to be a microcosm, and yet there are no females and everyone is English and white...

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena Andromeda Nicole (Little Duck) wrote: "I hated this book"

Were you forced to read it?

Books with Dani Overall, I didnt like this book. I was forced to read in 11th grade for English class. Both the novel and the movie are horrible I didnt like them at all.

Anagalindo Lord of the Flies was a very interesting book it made me think about people being evil. This book relates to many people it shows how some people are willing to do anything for power when they are in desperate times.

Anagalindo Lord of the Flies was a very interesting book it made me think about people being evil. This book relates to many people it shows how some people are willing to do anything for power when they are in desperate times.

message 22: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena Well that's what my English Literature teacher told me, and I pointed out that there wasn't exactly a wide variety of people and she agreed. But she still said that it was supposed to be symbolic of the Earth. We got on to that topic because I asked her if the problems on the island were supposed to symbolise the problems of the world in addition to symbolising inner demons or issues. Sorry if that's completely wrong!

message 23: by Huw (new) - rated it 4 stars

Huw Evans I see no reason why it can't be seen as a microcosm of earth society. Equally, it can be seen as the failure of normal values in an abnormal environment.

message 24: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena I believe that it shows the decomposition of what we see as civilisation or decent behaviour as the boys return to a more primal method of thinking and behaving. But were these primal values somewhere within the boys, or was it society that created this image?

message 25: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena Also, I think that World War Two is what inspired Golding.