YA Today Book Club discussion

Monthly Options > December 2011 Book Options!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayelee (new)

Kayelee Rock (kayeleerock) | 120 comments Mod
Firstly I want to say thank you to the members who are keeping up with the club! I hope many of the others will join us soon in our discussions, as it has been fantastic getting glimpses of everyone's personalities here and I'm so grateful for all of you bringing the club to life!
So here are Tiffany's Picks: Go vote! :)

Shine
by Lauren Myracle

When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Destined
by Jessie Harrell

When Psyche receives a prophecy gone horribly wrong, she learns that even the most beautiful girl in Greece can have a hideous future. Her fate? Fall in love with the one creature even the gods fear.
As she feels herself slipping closer into the arms of the prophecy, Psyche must choose between the terrifyingly tender touch she feels almost powerless to resist and the one constant she's come to expect out of life: you cannot escape what is destined.

Shifting
by Bethany Wiggins

After bouncing from foster home to foster home, Magdalene Mae is transferred to what should be her last foster home in the tiny town of Silver City, New Mexico. Now that she's eighteen and has only a year left in high school, she's determined to stay out of trouble and just be normal. Agreeing to go to the prom with Bridger O'Connell is a good first step. Fitting in has never been her strong suit, but it's not for the reasons most people would expect-it all has to do with the deep secret that she is a shape shifter. But even in her new home danger lurks, waiting in the shadows to pounce. They are the Skinwalkers of Navajo legend, who have traded their souls to become the animal whose skin they wear-and Maggie is their next target.

Hourglass
by Myra McEntire

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

message 2: by Viv (new)

Viv (a_pocky_box) AH!Destined is already on my to-read list!!! I love the retelling of one of my favorite Greek mythology!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hey guys . . . sorry but I'm not sure where to post this. Anyway, I'm not going to be able to continue with the book club due to a personal . . . thing that's come up and needs more of my time. I'm sorry that I will no longer be able to continue with the YA today book club! It was good while it lasted though....

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Garner | 36 comments Too bad, Rachel :( Good luck with everything! I wish you the best!

message 5: by Alisha (new)

Alisha (theamwriter) | 261 comments Mod
Has everyone voted for the December pick? Better hurry today's the last day to vote on it. :)

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Beck Kalnasy (kaylabeck) | 153 comments Mod
It looks like we're reading Destined - I'm going to be buying it from Amazon shortly. :D

message 7: by Viv (new)

Viv (a_pocky_box) Haha I just got an excuse to buy more books.

message 8: by Kayelee (new)

Kayelee Rock (kayeleerock) | 120 comments Mod
Destined it is! Yay!

Our Name of the Star discussion starts tomorrow, but today everyone have a happy thanksgiving!!!

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

message 10: by Viv (new)

Viv (a_pocky_box) Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

message 11: by Alisha (new)

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone is having a fun safe holiday and getting plenty to eat. I know I am.

message 12: by Alisha (new)

I have a question. Does anyone know where I can find the December pick? I usually shop at Barnes and Noble but they don't have it except on Nook Book (and I don't have one) Looking it up on my local library's website and it seems it doesn't exist... When did this book come out? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Check Amazon - they have it on there for $10ish.

message 14: by Alisha (new)

Thanks Kayla!

message 15: by Alisha (last edited Dec 08, 2011 11:43AM) (new)

Success! I ordered Destined today. The author is now following me on Twitter. She told me that I would be able to find it either Amazon or Book Depository. I found it on Book Depository 50 cents cheaper than Amazon. So I ordered it there. Yay! I should be all caught up next weekend (after I take my last final exam on Saturday December 3rd). Yay!

ETA: Received Destined and will be reading starting probably tomorrow or the day after, after I finish reading The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson.