Book Haven discussion

Fantasy > king arthur/merlin

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 39 comments Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good adult/YA books about King Arthur/Merlin. I just got the Crystal Cave but am looking for as many as possible. Thanks for your help =)
Jessi

message 2: by Cary (last edited Nov 12, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments King Arthur doesn't really come in a good YA book because it has such a deep adult theme. The real King Aruthur was a warlord named Arturius who came to power soon after the Romans left England. The land was being invaded by the German Saxons, and Arturius was one of the few Romano Celtic leaders who had success in holding off the barbarian invassions, and forming a safe kingdom for a time. This person is the basis of the Arthurian legend. The Arthurian stories as written take place at a much later time during the middle ages. They are still great stories irregardless. Most of these books are partial tellings of Arthurs life and adventures. Like The Sword in the Stone(several good YA version of this story. There are other short stories that go to make up the whole. Like Sir Gawain & the Green Knight. Thomas Mallorys, Le Morte de Arthur published in 1635 is good. It tells the whole story of Arthurs life. Alfred Lord Tennysons book. The Idylls of the King published in 1869 also tells the complete story of Arthur, and is the most popular of all the Arthurian books. It also tells Arthurs story from the Sword in the Stone to his death. Merlin is easily my most favorite character in these stories. As the last Celtic Druid Wizard. Merlin is Arthurs advisor, as he was to Arthurs father. I just love these stories. )

message 3: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 39 comments Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will look into them =)

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 165 comments Mary Stewart's series is a great read. I loved it. Another great story that I enjoyed was Mists of Avalon. I will admit I don't know a ton of strictly YA books that deal with Arthur, but if you are just looking to read more about Arthurian legend, there are tons of stories that bring the legend to life from new angles.

The Forever King was another favorite of mine.

message 5: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 39 comments They don't have to be YA books... That's why I put adult/YA books and thanks so much for the suggestions I will check them out =)

message 6: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 32 comments Though I have to agree about the very adult subject, I came accross something called "the last pendragon" that seems to be for YA. I didn't read it though, so I suggest you check the book first.

I loved Stephen Lawhead's series.

message 7: by Thalia (last edited Mar 27, 2012 03:42PM) (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) What, where in the heck has this topic been all my life!?

I will do my best to relate all the Arthur books on my TBR list alone (and I'm pretty sure I have close to all of them, hahah).

The Skystone (series)
The Canterbury Tales (more Medieval-centric)
The Young Merlin Trilogy: Passager, Hobby, and Merlin YA
Under Camelot's BannerThe Dragon Queen (series)
The Lost Years of Merlin (series) YA
The Thorn and the Blossom YA
Twilight of Avalon (series)
Yseult: A Tale of Love in the Age of King Arthur
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Over Sea, Under Stone (series) YA
Song of the Sparrow
The Kingmaking (series)
Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit
Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (series)
Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle (series)
Avalon High YA
Tris & Izzie YA
My Boyfriend Merlin YA
Well Between The Worlds
The Mists of Avalon (series)
The Once and Future King
The Crystal Cave (series)
The Winter King(series)
Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur & the Legends of the Round Table
The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Sunrise of Avalon
King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
The Naming (series)
The Quest of the Holy Grail
The Dragon and the Unicorn (series)
Firelord (series)
Excalibur
The Squire's Tale (series)
I Am Mordred
King Arthur and the Round Table
Arthur Rex
Guinevere (series)
A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court

Okay, that's only a FEW. That was what I got from page two of my entire TBR shelf (which has some twenty-five pages)!

I really loved Avalon High, and I was surprised Meg Cabot of all people managed to pull off a decent Arthurian retelling.
I didn't love Tris and Izzie or The Lost Years of Merlin, but still worth a shot if you like Arthur.
I just finished (like, an hour ago) The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights and honestly, one of the best books I've read in my whole life.

I only marked which ones I knew for sure were YA, but I'm sure there's tons of other in that list that can be categorized as that. There's actually an overwhelming amount of young adult Arthurian fiction, if you just know where to look. (: If you still want more, I'd be happy to keep hunting around my list--honestly, probably a good half of everything on my TBR is Arthurian.

I'm a little obsessed, I know, hahah.
Anyway, yeah, I guess I'll leave now that I've sufficiently filled the topic with books. (:

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet | 45 comments I loved Gwenhwyfar: The White Spiritby Mercedes Lackey- it's a pretty nontraditional version of the King Arthur.

message 9: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 32 comments Hopefully, in a couple of months, you'll add my new novel on your list :)
I'm working an a high fantasy inspired by the Legend, with Arthur's descendant. To know more, visit my website : www.claudedancourt.webs.com

message 10: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Claude, it's sooooo not fair to tease me like that! You'll have to let me know when it gets put up on GoodReads so I can tackle it (metaphorically) and throw it on my TBR shelf and count down the days until it's release. (:

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylkinkaid) | 25 comments I also really enjoyed Cherryh's Fortress series. Fortress of Eagles Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2) by C.J. Cherryh C.J. Cherryh was the first one. It never comes out and says it's Merlin but that's how it feels to me.

I loved Gwenhwyfar: the White Spirit too.

message 12: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 39 comments Thanks so much for all your suggestions I really appreciate it

message 13: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 32 comments You have a couple to read now! Let us now which one you like and why!!!

Claude Dancourt

message 14: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 32 comments Here it is, freshly added to the Goodreads database :

Return to Caer Lon
Thanks!

Claude Dancourt

message 15: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 32 comments Okay, apparently, Goodreads doesn't take into event invitations from me today, so I just wanted you to know that I will host a QA about RETURN TO CAER LON between June 1st and June 3rd here in Goodreads, in the Goodreads Authors/Readers group. Details are here :)

RETURN TO CAER LON QA Launch party

message 16: by Cookie (new)

Cookie (cookie8) | 43 comments Hello everyone - looks like this thread is a bit old but still wanted to ask Thalia from the long list provided which one was your most favorite? I checked on the one about Gwenhwyver: The White Spirit and didn't see really good reviews on this one. I would love to get my hands on a book that really went in-depth with the legend. I've read "The Mystery of King Arthur" by Elizabeth Jenkins which is non-fiction and very good. I also read the fiction series by Mary Stewart years ago. thanks

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone know the official spelling of Guinevere? I've always spelled it as Guinevere, but I've seen Gwenhwyver and Guinever too and so many others.

message 18: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Cookie wrote: "Hello everyone - looks like this thread is a bit old but still wanted to ask Thalia from the long list provided which one was your most favorite? I checked on the one about Gwenhwyver: The White S..."

Hi Cookie! I've read few of those books on my list (most of them are TBR), but the one I enjoyed the most was The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights. I think Steinbeck did a really great job of translating some of the stories into better English that is easier for us to understand.

Catalina, I believe the official spelling is Guinevere. Old English spelling is different, but that's the modern one. (:

message 19: by wfpoppet (new)

wfpoppet Thalia wrote: "Cookie wrote: "Hello everyone - looks like this thread is a bit old but still wanted to ask Thalia from the long list provided which one was your most favorite? I checked on the one about Gwenhwyv..."

Thalia, I just found that Steinbeck book for a steal at my used bookstore. I'm looking forward to reading it; nice to see a vote in its favor!

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 42 comments I loved the Level 9 text adventure game Lancelot when I was growing up. And the John Boorman film Excalibur with its tiny roles for Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson. Off the back of those I read the Mists of Avalon series in French, as well as the Roger Lancelyn Green books. But the definitive telling of Arthurian legend remains Monty Python's Quest For The Holy Grail!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Thalia wrote: "Cookie wrote: "Hello everyone - looks like this thread is a bit old but still wanted to ask Thalia from the long list provided which one was your most favorite? I checked on the one about Gwenhwyv..."

Thanks, Thalia.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylkinkaid) | 25 comments Catalina wrote: "Does anyone know the official spelling of Guinevere? I've always spelled it as Guinevere, but I've seen Gwenhwyver and Guinever too and so many others."

Gwenhwyver is the Welsh spelling I believe or close to it.

message 23: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) wfpoppt, yep! Steinbeck did a great job, although it had a couple modern slipups (he used the phrase "chatterbox" a few times, which definitely wasn't around back then, hahah). My favorite in that collection was the story about Gawaine and his friends going on their separate quests.

For any other modern adaptions/shows/films, I'd recommend the BBC show "Merlin". It's less accurate, but I don't mind when I watch. It's really fun and brings it to a more personal level, especially for younger audiences (teens/young adult).

Andrew, I loved the Holy Grail, too. It's so much fun to watch and quote!

message 24: by Karen M (new)

Karen M One not mentioned is Guinever's Gift by Nicole St. John. Modern day story that parallels the love triangle of Arthur, Guinever & Lancelot.

message 25: by Cookie (new)

Cookie (cookie8) | 43 comments Karen M wrote: "One not mentioned is Guinever's Gift by Nicole St. John. Modern day story that parallels the love triangle of Arthur, Guinever & Lancelot."

That was the book I was trying to remember - I have that book somewhere and really enjoyed reading it. I find Guinever a really interesting character.

message 26: by Cookie (new)

Cookie (cookie8) | 43 comments Karen M wrote: "One not mentioned is Guinever's Gift by Nicole St. John. Modern day story that parallels the love triangle of Arthur, Guinever & Lancelot."

That was the book I was trying to remember - I have that book somewhere and really enjoyed reading it. I find Guinever a really interesting character.

message 27: by Buffy (new)

Buffy (buffywuffy) If you're up for a little bit of steampunk King Arthur try Morlock Night by K.W. Jeter . I thought that it was a pretty fun take on the subject. It's K. W. Jeter's sequel to H. G. Wells' The Time Machine by H.G. Wells and it starts after the time traveller has finished telling his tale.