Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Getting to Know You > Reading Habits

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments I found this on http://book-memes.livejournal.com/596...

1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
2. What is your favorite drink while reading?
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open?
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both?
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
9. What are you currently reading?
10. What is the last book you bought?
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc?

message 2: by Dee (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 437 comments 1. not normally but I have been known to sit and read while eating my dinner (in fact I did tonight)
2. flavored sparkling water
3. only textbooks
4. all of the above
5. anything I can get my hands on
6. end of a chapter
7. not really
8. nope - mostly because i have no idea where my dictionary is for print books, but i have used the kindle one before
9. a wide variety...lol! Clear Water;Wicked Harvest; Aries: Riddle Me Wicked; Last Line; Raine; First Grave on the Right; Killed at the Whim of a Hat; Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali; The Night Strangers (audio)
10. the kindle daily deal today which was The First Assassin
11. more than one - right now 8, plus an audiobook
12. laying in bed, or out in the sun - whenever I can
13. either
14. not really - it depends on what they are looking for - but I normally have a recommendation in most of the romance type sub-genres and some other random ones
15. organize - what's that? kinda by size - MMPB on a shelf, trades on another, but other than that, not really

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:04PM) (new)

Diane | 12845 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes. Usually something sugary and bad for me.

Water

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
The idea of writing in books *horrifies* me! The only exception is in cookbooks.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open?
I usually find some random piece of paper and mark the page with it. I never seem to be able to find a legitimate bookmark when I need one.

Definitely both.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I usually try to stop at the top of a page whenever possible, but don't always make it to the end of a chapter. God bless authors who write short chapters.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
No, although I have considered it...

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Yes. This made reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court particularly painful (and educational).

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, Les Misérables, Trustee from the Toolroom, and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales.

Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I read a bunch simultaneously. I used to only be able to read one book at a time, but I am much happier to read several.

Anytime, any place.

Usually stand-alone books, mainly because I am such a commitment-phobe. Some of my favorite books have been part of series though.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Too many to mention.

By title.

Here is a quirk of mine not mentioned. With the exception of e-reader books, I almost always read trade paperbacks. I really don't like mass-market paperbacks and hardcovers are usually to bulky.

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) | 17 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes I'll eat biscuits, fruit, chocolate, candy, whatever's available. Not too often though.

Water or juice

I don't like writing in books, so no.
I either use a book mark or if I'm about to come back to the book I'll lie it flat, but I don't like folding pages over.

Usually fiction

Depends on the length of the chapters. If the chapters are short I'll try to stop at the end of them, otherwise I'll stop when there's no conversations going on.

No. I mostly read on my kindle so it would be quite bad if I threw that!

My kindle has an inbuilt dictionary so occasionally I will move the cursor onto a particular word to see its meaning, but if I'm reading a print book I don't often make the effort.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Haven't bought one in a while actually, but I think it was Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Usually it's just one at a time.

In bed

I do like stand-alone books because when I start a series 9 times out of 10 it has to be completed. I have way too many series begun already and about another 50 books from the first of series to read. Argh!

To lovers of YA: Stephanie Perkins and Suzanne Collins

I only have one bookshelf so right now it's by wherever they fit. If I were to move somewhere that would allow a second bookshelf, there would be more organisation to it.

message 5: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 274 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? No.
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Usually I read in bed at night and am drinking sleepy time tea.
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I write in the ones I own that I am not donating anywhere.
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? I rotate bookmarks or use the checkout slip from the library.
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both.
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Depends on the length and how the chapter is broken down.
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? No.
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Not unless it is totally bizarre.
9. What are you currently reading? I need to start a new book, but I am listening to Death of a Village by M. C. Beaton and narrated by Graeme Malcolm.
10. What is the last book you bought? I bought three at the library book sale The Last Day of the War, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and Night Train to Lisbon.
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I usually read many books at a time!
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? At night in bed.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Both.
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? For audio books Lilian Jackson Braun, for young adult Jennifer Donnelly, and for juvenile books Holly Black.
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Hmm, the only organization I actually have is Spanish books in on spot and all the rest by series, if they are in one.

message 6: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 74 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? No
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Water or coffee
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Never, Never, Never!!! Unless it is a text book.
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Bookmark for hardback and trade paperback books and dog-ear for mass market paperbacks.
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I can stop wherever
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Nope
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? No I usually try to figure it out by context and rarely look it up.
9. What are you currently reading? Just started "Better" by Atul Gawande
10. What is the last book you bought? Howard's End is on the Landing
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I usually have one actual book, one e-book, and one audio book going at the same time. I just finished my current audio and e-books and am figuring out what to read next.
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Lunch or before bed
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Both!
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Dennis Lehane, Herman Wouk, and Lee Child
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? I have them in no particular order but seem to inherently know where every book I own is located in the house.

message 7: by mstan (last edited Nov 11, 2011 03:32AM) (new)

mstan | 130 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

Nope, usually not, because I finish my snacks too quickly, especially if I am totally absorbed in the book :(

Water.

I am not averse to this idea but am too lazy to. I used to do so for the books I used for English classes.

I no longer dog-ear my books (but used to). I have tons of bookmarks but always misplace them. Generally I read the book to a certain easily remembered point (the end of chapter 10, pg. 150, etc.) if I can, and go back to that. This has caused me some problems if for some reason I can't stop at that point (e.g. if I am on the bus and have to alight)... I have sometimes re-read one or two pages before I found my spot again.

I read both but I read lots more fiction than non-fiction, and my tastes also tend towards the former.

See 4.

No, I wouldn't hurt a book that way!

Not always, unless I am on my kindle.

Notes on a Scandal: What Was She Thinking?, String Too Short to Be Saved

I only buy books if I can't get them easily from the library.

actual book purchases:
The Fight
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
String Too Short to Be Saved

on my kindle:
Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream

I usually read more than one book at a time (usually 2-3). I need a thin and relaxing book for when I go out, and I like to read my kindle at night because I like the light that comes with the cover.

I read wherever I can (except at work) but my favourite spot to read is in bed!

No preference.

Classics - Dracula, The Picture of Dorian Gray, anything by W. Somerset Maugham, Graham Greene or E.M. Forster
Modern literature - David Mitchell
Fantasy/humour - Terry Pratchett
Crime/mystery - Fred Vargas, Dorothy Sayers (I love Peter Temple's Aussie novels too but I think not many people would like his writing)
YA - Laini Taylor, Melina Marchetta

No organisation method really... they are all over the place depending on where I put them at a particular phase of my life.

message 8: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

Not usually

Water or Tea (hot in the winter and cold in the summer)

Never

Bookmark - I have a store charge and once a month they send out coupons. They are a thicker cardboard about the size of a credit card so I save those. Then if I return one to the library it is no big deal. Folding pages of a book should be outlawed!! LOL

Usually fiction but will read some nonfiction.

I like to stop at the end of a chapter but if I can't I try to stop at a chapter break if nothing else at the top of the page.

No

Not unless I am on my Nook.

Texas! Chase, The Secret History of Costaguana, and A Guide to the Birds of East Africa

Not sure something on my Nook for 99 cents but it has been a while. I use my library alot and I love the free books that I can get for my nook.

More than one

Anytime, anywhere.

Either

No

Am I supposed to organize them? I suppose my husband would like that idea but my books are all over. I do need to go through some of the piles and make a donation to the library.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 76 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Yes, I do like to nibble often while reading, nothing special.

Don't really have a favorite, often it's lemonade or soda pop.

I detest writing in a book, but I have made special exceptions for specific nonfiction resources I have.

Bookmarks is my prefered method, but if I am going to be right back I might lay a book flat open if I don't have a bookmark close at hand.

Fiction a bit more than non-fiction

I can stop anywhere but I prefer to read to the end of a chapter.

Nah.

I stop and look it up right away. I like to keep a dictionary near by just in case.

Just finished First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

Disappearing Nightly by Laura Resnick

I can read more than one but I prefer not to.

Not really.
I like both.

No, I recommend SO many different ones.

By genre, then author, then series order, then single titles.

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 229 comments Do you snack while you read? Never, it’s my favorite diet trick- no eating while reading
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Iced coffee (even in winter) or a nicely brewed cup of tea
Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Horrifying
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? I keep a stack of blank index cards- I take notes on things I want to research later, other books referenced, etc. I file the cards if there’s something I want to keep
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both, maybe slightly more non-fiction
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I aim for the end of the chapter, or section break, but I’m flexible. I do have a “bad” reading habit (at least according to others) I read the first chapter, the last chapter, then go back to chapter two. I read so much I’m less concerned about the resolution than watching the author develop the story from point A to point B. And maybe some control issues...
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Not usually, but I’m sometimes tempted
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? I keep a dictionary next to me. I’ll look up something right away if I think it might impact my comprehension, otherwise I make a note on my card and look them up later- I find I need an online translator for some of these ATWi80 books to get the foreign language expressions and idioms- Or the Bull Kills You was peppered with them
9. What are you currently reading? The 19th Wife, Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time, Summer in a Glass: The Coming of Age of Winemaking in the Finger Lakes
10. What is the last book you bought? I don’t buy many, my library can get me almost everything I want to read. I did buy The Affair so my husband could read it when I was done
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I usually have a few going: an at-home book, an on-the-go book in my bag, and a paperback in the car. That’s a holdover from all the years of going to my son’s sporting events where I had to attend, but couldn’t watch (his rule) too many hours in parking lots...
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? I read after lunch. Even when the my kids were very young we took a “lunch hour” to read.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? It depends on my mood- sometimes I like returning characters, other times I want something new
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Barbara Kingsolver, Richard Russo
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? I don’t keep many books- I pass them along to my mom’s rural, underfunded library.

message 11: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (ubergek) | 14 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack?
I do not purposely snack while I read, but sometimes I read while I eat. (E.g. during lunch at work...)

2. What is your favourite drink while reading?
Ideally tea, but in reality I always have water near by.

I used to keep a note book with me when I read to make notes and collect quotes. Now I have an e-reader so I can make notes and highlight stuff without messing up anything. :)

Used to use theatre tickets as bookmarks. Now my e-reader remembers for me.

Mostly fiction.

Depends on the chapter length/interest of section and how tired I am.

Nope. That would be expensive. :P

Yes! Again, used to keep a dictionary with me... now I use the built in tap-the-word dictionary ALL THE TIME!!!

Hexed by Kevin Hearne
Also, my husband and I are reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón together and sometimes Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.

In hardcover: Buried Secrets by Joseph Finder, whom I love. :)

I mostly read one novel at a time but sometimes more and usually my hubby and I have something on the go together...

12. Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
In bed before sleep EVERY night, sometimes during lunch at work, on the couch on a Saturday afternoon, while waiting for doctors appointments, in airports and on airplanes...

Sometimes it's great to get into a series when you get attached to characters but a solid stand-alone is wonderful, too.

Yes. Lots. Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, anything by Isaac Asimov or Kurt Vonnegut or Joseph Finder...

Paper books on a shelf by Genre and then Author then either by series or colour... E-book can be rearranged easily so I change it up depending on what I'm looking for. :)

message 12: by Antje གརས པཅ (last edited Dec 07, 2011 10:34PM) (new)

Antje གརས པཅ Parker | 27 comments Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Yes! All the time! I just eat whatever's around

What is your favorite drink while reading?
Carbonated water, I drink a bit too much of it XD

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I don't buy books so I can't

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open?
Bookmark, sometimes I'll lay it flat open to look for one

Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both?
Both! They're both amazing and interesting!

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
Top of page, end of paragraph ^^

Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
If the author's writing does, yes

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Of course! You can't read a book and not understand it all!

What are you currently reading?
Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls It's very interesting, I love it so far

What is the last book you bought?
I almost bought one the day before yesterday, Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick, but I couldn't afford it so that title goes to The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 1

Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
Multiple

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
Nope, I read when I can

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
Don't really care

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Nope

How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc?
A pile of books next to my head on my bead ^^

message 13: by Leslie T. (new)

Leslie T. (lat0403) | 30 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Never.

Water.

I mostly read ebooks, but every print book I own looks exactly like it did when I came into possession of it. And if somehow the cover gets bent or the book is "damaged" in any other way, I get rid of it.

Bookmark, which in reality means whatever is lying around. Usually a scrap of paper. NO dog-ears, it goes back to the above answer.

Mostly fiction, but I love a good non-fiction that doesn't read like non-fiction.

I can stop wherever. I've stopped mid-sentence before.

No way.

Nope. I can usually figure it out through the context and even when I can't, I just move on.

Doctor No, The Feast of the Goat

The last print book I bought was Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War and the last ebook was The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird. I don't buy books very often. The first was really cheap and the second I couldn't find anywhere else.

I can read multiple books.

Not really.

I read mostly stand-alone books, but I love a good series.

I'm fickle so my recommendations change often.

Author's last name for print books. I've only got two categories for ebooks: read and unread.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie 1. I am known to have a cup of coffee and a biscuit while I read. I also like to sit in the bubble bath with a book, cuppa and bickie.

2. Coffee.

3. The idea of marking my books horrifies me. I sometimes have a pad and pen next to me to write down book titles that interest me especially when reading a non-fiction/biography.

4. I grab free bookmarks when I can e.g. at the library so I always have about 6 bookmarks in the drawer. lol

5. Both. I love nonfiction books like autobiographies but I also love escaping into the world of historical fictions so I'm not choosy.

6. I have to read til the end of the chapter or if the chapters are long, a break in the page. I just can't stop anywhere else. lol

7. No, I try to remember that not all books will agree with everybody but if it is really bad then I do walk away.

8. Yes, I like to look up unfamiliar words and get the meaning. We are constantly learning so its good.

9. Water for Elephants and really enjoying it.

10. I have been stoking up on ebooks as I am getting a kindle for Christmas so the last one I bought (as in not free) was Saturdays Are Gold by Pierre Van Rooyen.

11. One book at a time. If I can't get into a book, I will put it down and get a new one but I do try to go back to the first.

12. In the bubble bath or out on the front porch.

13. Both, if the first book draws me in i will read the whole series.

14. I recommend Bryce Courtenay a lot, I just love the amount of research that goes into his books and I also recommend historical fictions a lot too.

15. Print books are organised by size. lol I do try to keep authors together but it really is about the size of the books.

All small paperbacks are together, the bigger ones on the top shelf and the smaller ones on the bottom shelves. lol

Kindle is by title.

message 15: by Annina (new)

Annina | 139 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Sometimes I eat candy when I read, but mostly I don't eat anything.

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Tea of course.

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? No. I don't do this.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? I have really old bookmark which I got from library.

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both, but mainly fiction.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I can stop anywhere. I read only 1 book at a time and I read every day so I do remember where I stopped last time.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? I haven't done this yet.

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Nope.. I just keep on reading.. but if there's tons of unfamiliar words I might check them up.

9. What are you currently reading? The Secret History by Donna Tartt

10. What is the last book you bought? I bought city-guide to Barcelona and book about making toys by yourself

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Like I already said.. I read only 1 book at the time. But there's change that I read children's book at the same time at work, but I don't count that.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? I like to read at evenings before I'll go to sleep in my bed.

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? I really don't care.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? No.

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? My bookshelf is really a mess right now. There's no order, but I will make it as soon as I read all my books. Which is my long-term project.

message 16: by Johanna (new)

Johanna (josl) | 2 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I snack; preferably cheese, sometimes pretzels
wine and rum & coke
I mark my books, underline words/events/dates I'd like to look up
I dogear it or leave it open, upside down on my nightstand
both; non-fiction favorite: biographies
depends, sometimes I am just to tired to read until the end of the chapter
I frequently toss books on the floor but this doesn't necessarily indicate a state of dislike or irritation, I just treat books badly :)
Depends on the author. In Nabokov's novels I underline and make a list of words I need to look up, and revisit the passages later.
Bend Sinister, Nabokov
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
I can read two books simultaneously
I like reading before bed/in bed and on the weekend mornings and afternoons; in the summertime, I like reading poolside
No preference, though I tend to read stand-alones.

Philippe Djian. I love his books

They are roughly organized into 2 categories: genres and foreign-language books.

message 17: by Alice (last edited Feb 01, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

Alice | 462 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I don't usually eat while I read.
Water (I know, boring)
Only books having to do with my work (which is water-related)
Bookmark always! Hate dog ears!
Both
Since I read a lot on the bus, I have to be able to stop mid-way or I'd always miss my stop!
No, I rarely abandon a book, but I will if I'm really irritated.
Sometimes.
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Heck (to my son). Water Wars (for work).
Buy lots for my son - almost always use the library for me.
More than one, but for different reasons (work, kid, pleasure, etc.)
On the bus to/from work is most often. But my favorite is at night when I'm home alone. Ahhhh . . . nothing like a warm blanket, a chihuahua on my lap, and a good book!
Both.
No, though I did recommend "The People of the Book" to a few people.
Genre. Actually I have a separate shelf for each type. Hee hee.

message 18: by Erika (new)

Erika | 29 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
potato chips and cookies

ice tea

I don't mark them because i borrow most of them from the library... but i think the idea of marking them doesn't appeal to me

Bookmark... sometimes if i'm reading more than one book at once and i don't have another bookmark i use whatever comes in handy like a piece of paper or something like that... NEVER dog-ear!!

More frequently fiction, but sometimes it's necessary some non-fiction ;)

i tend to read until the end of a chapter, but sometimes when i'm too tired i can't help but stop just anywhere

I haven't actually been in that situation, that i read a book and find the author irritating... in either case, i think i would only stop reading, not throw the book across the room.

I used to do that sometimes!! but now i just try to understand it on its context... if i still don't get the meaning, then i go and look it up.

This awesome book by David Gemmel, which is retelling of Troy and it's awesome, i'm loving it!!!! Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) by David Gemmell

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

I've tried to read more than one book at a time, but i guess that doesn't work for me, so only one book at a time

I prefer to read at night in the living room, but i find most of my reading done in the aisles of the university while wainting

I have no idea why, but when i see that a book that's got my attention is part of a series i get more excited!! it's weird because sometimes when i see that there are a lot of books in that series, like 8 or 9, my interest grows, even though i know it's gonna take me so much time to finish that...

Patrick Ness. Oh, i just love so much the chaos walking series, he's a terrific writer, i couldn't recommend him highly enough... LISTEN GUYS!! you should read it if you haven't ;)

By Author... and size... because i don't really own as many books

message 19: by Lavinia (last edited Feb 10, 2012 10:44PM) (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 20 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes - depends on the mood.

I almost always have a glass of ice water, Diet Coke, or Crystal Light pink lemonade going when I'm at home, so one of those.

Not often - I always do feel like I shouldn't write in my books, but once in a while it happens. I love the ability to highlight passages on my Kindle - that helps.

Usually dog-ear. (Oh, the shame...)

More fiction, but both.

Prefer end of chapter, but it's not necessary.

Definitely not! No need to abuse the poor book... it's not its fault.

Usually... I'll feel like I'm missing something otherwise.

Book: A Thread of Grace
Kindle: State of Wonder
Audiobook in the car: The Forgotten Garden
Out-loud reading with my 10-year-old: Vampire's Photograph

The Color Purple, South of Broad, and Oryx and Crake

Almost always more than one.

Anytime!

No preference

The Sparrow and Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year

Fiction in one room, non-fiction in another; fiction by author's last name; non-fiction by genre.

message 20: by Rosemary (last edited Feb 12, 2012 04:29AM) (new)

Rosemary 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
It's kind of the other way around for me: I read whenever possible, so obviously I read while snacking. Any snack.

Red wine, although see above: I will happily read while drinking anything.

The idea of writing in books horrifies me. When I reread a book, I want a new experience of it. I don't need to know what I thought about the last time. The only exception would be if it was part of a course of study: then I might highlight important passages, but I wouldn't keep that copy to read again.

Bookmark, unless it is a used hardback that wouldn't suffer from being left open.

Mostly fiction and autobiography/memoirs.

Depends how long the chapters are. I prefer to read to the end of a chapter but I'm not obsessive about it.

No, I would take it to the charity shop.

Sometimes.

Fire from Heaven, historical fiction by Mary Renault.

A London Child Of The 1870s by Molly Hughes

I usually have a chunkster that I am reading slowly, plus something lighter and sometimes an ebook as well. I'm currently between chunksters.

Anytime, anywhere, but most often, evenings at home.

Stand-alones.

No, I don't recommend books unless asked and then it would depend who asked and what I thought they would like.

Genre and author. To make the most of bookshelf space, size is important too ;-)

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

No, I can't really concentrate on both a book and a snack at the same time. Plus I'm also really OCD about keeping the pages of my (mostly library) books clean.

2.What is your favorite drink while reading?

Earl Grey tea sipped out of a teacup the size of a soup bowl.

Frankly, as a high school senior, writing in books makes me think of the annotations we have to write on sticky notes. I prefer to keep my feelings about the book in my head. I once bought a used book (The Night in Lisbon) that had been written in, the reader before me spent most of her time trying to figure out if the protagonist was Catholic or not.

I'm lazy, I just mark my spot on the Goodread currently reading tracker.

Fiction, I used to read a lot of non-fiction but that changed.

I must read until the end of the chapter, much to the annoyance of my schedule.

No, I try to bravely march on. Then I grow weary and let that book drop into my shack of unfinished books confined to the messy corner of my room.

No, sadly I usually try to find the meaning through context from the passage.

On Black Sisters Street by Chika Unigwe

The New Year by Pearl S. Buck

I'm the worst offender of juggling books. Now I try to limit myself to two. I used to get caught up in five or six books at a time. This lead to me dropping all of them because I couldn't keep up.

I like to read on my bed, but not in it. My favorite time to read is late at night, I usually fall asleep around midnight.

Stand-alones, I just think after to many books the source material in series gets spread too thin.

Not to adults, but to kids I'm constantly recommending Gloria Whelan, her books pretty much defined my childhood!!

Most of my Goodread book shelves categorize books by location and era.

message 22: by Dina (new)

Dina Goluza | 96 comments Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes. It depends of my environment. When I am at home and reading, my favorite reading snacks are hazelnuts and almonds.

Coffee or good red wine.

No I don't like marking books in any way.

I use bookmark and I have over twenty. Some of them I made myself.

Mostly fiction .

I tend to read to the end of a chapter.

No, everyone has right on own opinion.

Yes if I am at home.

Blindness

SFRJ za ponavljače

I usually read one book at a time but I always have another „on waiting“ book.

Anytime is good for me , but I prefer evenings readining at home.

Stand-alones.

No only if I'm asked for it.

Unfortunatly by size because I have over 500 books so bookshelf space is very important to me.

message 23: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No.

Coffee

I usually read books from library, so writing in books is out of the question.

Bookmarks of all kinds. I despise dog-ears.

Mostly fiction.

I can stop anywhere.

NO!

Usually no, but I’m trying to change that.

Death Note, Volume 3 Hard Run by Tsugumi Ohba , Maus I My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman , Maus II And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman , Forrest Gump by Winston Groom and The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman .

Američki bogovi by Neil Gaiman

The more the merrier ;)

Any time and place will do.

No preferences.

To many to mention them all.

By boyfriend ;) I’ve left that hard work to him and any way will be fine by me.

message 24: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 101 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Apples, popcorn, sometimes chips.

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? hot chocolate, nothing else comes close!

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? For most books, it horrifies me, especially if it's a hardbound in great condition. But if it's a textbook or a study book or one that I really want to get into the minute details of, I have no problem going at it with a highlighter and pen for statements that really speak to me.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Bookmark. Never dog-ear. Sometimes lay flat if I'm just setting it aside for a second, never for a long period.

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both, any, a variety. Depends what I'm in the mood for.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I almost always stop at the end of a chapter or section unless it's a super long chapter. The only time this varies is when I'm listening on audio and I just stop at the end of what seems like a sentence or paragraph.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? I've only done that once or twice. Usually it just nicely makes it's way into the Goodwill pile.

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Not usually, because most of the time it can be inferred from the context. I only look it up for the purpose of comparing to other languages (O, I see where this comes from, it sounds like the German word for "_______", etc)

9. What are you currently reading? Dracula, Emma

10. What is the last book you bought? A bunch of books about marriage

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? My currently reading list has about 12 things on it, including one about finances, a couple Bible studies, several novels and Grimm's fairy tales.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? In the evening, or outside on a sunny day. Can do audiobooks anytime I'm doing household work.

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Any. Both are nice. I try to only do one series at a time, though.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? C.S. Lewis, Jane Austen

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Genre, size (the books that stack together nicely) and under the stack, by author then title.

message 25: by LindaJ^ (last edited Apr 17, 2013 10:35AM) (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No, but I read when I'm eating a meal by myself.

It depends on what meal it is - coffee, if I'm reading with breakfast, water with lunch, and wine/beer with dinner. If I'm sitting and reading between meals, it could be water, tea, wine, or nothing, depending on location, time of day, time of year, etc.

Mostly it horrifies me. Textbooks, on the other hand, are another matter.

Bookmark, which could be a ticket stub, a receipt, a napkin, a business card, or sometimes even a bookmark!

Anything, even cereal boxes.

Chapter ends are preferable but rarely accomplished.

Not normally.

Only if reading on my Kindle.

9. What are you currently reading? Hyperion, The Submission, Caravaggio: Life sacred and profane, among others.

The print book was Fire Watch.

I actively read about six at a time - audible, print, Kindle.

anytime, anywhere

I like both.

I think John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things is under read and I recommend it all the time. Mostly, however, I recommend based on the individual to whom I am making the recommendation.

Could be by genre, author, subject, or non of the proceeding. For example, Maria Doria Russell doesn't write in one genre or subject, so her books currently appear in 3 places on my shelf because she has books in the one genre I keep together - Sci fi/fantasy - and one of the subjects I keep together - WWII/Holocaust related.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Apr 17, 2013 06:05PM) (new)

Sarah | 662 comments 1. I will take breaks from reading to go make a snack or get something to drink. But when I am reading I just read.
2. See #1
3. Don't mark my books. I will highlight a quote on my kindle.
4. I will use anything I can find for a book mark or nothing at all. I will also lay a book flat open. And on my kindle I book mark it.
5.Mostly fiction. Sometimes a memoir or something work related. I should read more non fiction.
6. I can stop anywhere. A lot of times I read until I fall asleep or my three year old interrupts me and I gotta do something for her,
like now, gotta get her a banana.
7. I don't throw books because it is a bad book. I throw them at my boyfriend if I am mad at him.
8. I will instantly look a word up on my kindle as I read but otherwise I never look up the word
9.Great Expectations, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, Gilead

message 27: by Sarah (last edited Apr 17, 2013 06:02PM) (new)

Sarah | 662 comments Cont...
10. Most recent was on my kindle Beautiful Ruins, Orphan Train, and The Kitchen House. Also at Goodwill got the Dark Tower series books 1-3 and 5, A fine Balance, Anil's Ghost, Housekeeping, Portnoy's Complaint and The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth, catch 22, The Known World, The Violets of March, and Big Stone Gap and Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigian
11. I read about three books at once.
12. I usually read lounging in my bed any time of day I can if my daughter is napping or playing or watching T.V.
13. I mostly read stand alones how ever...
14. I recommend The Song of Ice and Fire series way more than anything else for sure but I have many great reads that I suggest to people, especially if I know what they like.
15. My library is alphabetical by last name of author.

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue | 21 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes. Trail mix.
Water
Horrifies me, with the exceptions of textbooks and cookbooks.
Bookmarks or a scrap of paper if bookmark can't be found.
Both
Usually the end of a chapter.
Could never throw a book though am tempted at times.
No, though often look them up later.
The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby
Usually only two, sometimes three.
In bed late at night. I sometimes regret this habit the next morning, though.
Either
Several
Organize? Maybe by author.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Not often, maybe cookies

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Tea or root beer.
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I mark my own books, but try to refrain from marring library books.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? all

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? both

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? depends on the length of the chapter

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? I have, but I've grown out of that. Now I send a nasty email.

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? sometimes, if I can't cypher it out from the context

9. What are you currently reading? The Christmas Kid by Pete Hamill.

10. What is the last book you bought? I haven't bought a book lately. We have a very good library system in Broward County.

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Two or three at a time.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Anywhere I can.

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Stand alones.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Robert B Parker, Clive Cusler, Meave Binchy

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Genre

message 30: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Kelleher (christopher_kelleher) | 2 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Yes, but I've never found a book whose flavor met my expectations.

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Tea. Black or oolong.

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Very rarely -- (1) because I don't like my handwriting, (2) because I can't underline straight, and (3) I usually decide later that I marked the wrong thing.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? I never dog-ear, always bookmark -- folded napkins, birth certificates, whatever's handy.

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? End of the chapter or section whenever I can manage it.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Only if the author is close enough to hit.

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Usually -- discovering new words is one of the best things about reading.

Six different books. It's ridiculous.

10. What is the last book you bought? A Series of Unfortuante Events. For my daughter. By I wound up reading it too.

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Many books at a time. It's dysfunctional, but I can't help myself.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Any time that I have at least 2.5 spare minutes.

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Usually standalone.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? I'll advocate Moby Dick to anyone who'll sit still long enough to listen. Stewart O'Nan and Daniel Woodrell are underappreciated, in my opinion, and I recommend them to people all the time.

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Organizing my books. Ah, that's funny.

message 31: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite
reading snack?
I read/listen every morning for 4 - 6 hours so no snacks.

Coffee with a great creamer and sugar.

Except for textbooks I have never written in a book. I just watched a movie based on a Max Lucado short story ... writing in the margins was so important.

Bookmark only!

I love both and now that I listen to books I am putting more in my challenges.

End of the page is good enough for me.

No but I can talk to/at it.

Yes I must make it make sense to me.

A Thread So Thin

The Magician's Assistant

I have at least 3 going right now.

Mornings while I get caught up on the computer.

Long stand alones.

Maeve Binchy

author then title on my shelves
author and title in my library excel file

message 32: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor (1001andmore) | 779 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No, never.

Usually just water, sometimes also tea.

I would never ever write into my books or demolish them in any other way. I buy a lot of book second-hand. The worst thing is when I buy a book I have been looking for for a while and at home notice that someone marked paragraphs and made notes. Then I alsways have to think about why a certain passage was marked, what is meant by the notes, sometimes also how stupid or redundant they are. And they are always kind of a spoiler: you always no in advance that something important is about to happen.

I never dog-ear or leave the book flat open (see Q.3). I always use bookmarks. I have several which I bought or got as presents. And I also use postcards: I've got a postcard calendar on my desk with a postcard for each week. At the end of the week I will rip the postcard off and put it into a book to use as bookmark. On this postcards I will sometimes also write quotes from the book if I like them.

Mainly fiction, non-fiction only very infrequently.

I like to read until the end of a chapter or at least a paragraph. If I'm interrupted while in the middle of a paragraph I'll usually start it over again.

I'm not, it might hurt a book (see Q.3)

Sometimes, depending on how important I think the word is for understanding what is going on.

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan, Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann and Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

More than one, see Q.9.

Favorite time: always :)
Favorite place: couch

Stand-alones. I like series as well but I always feel kind of forced to finish a series even if I don't enjoy some of the books so much.

Die Stimmen des Flusses by Jaume Cabré

I like (or rather would like) to organize them by genre and then by author. However, I have absolutely no room left on my bookshelves. This means at the moment they are organized by size so that I'm able to fit as many of them as possible onto my shelves.

message 33: by Sovotchka (last edited May 12, 2013 01:26AM) (new)

Sovotchka | 40 comments Ellinor, I am the same. I hate damaging books.

Not really.

Tea.

I put small pencil marks above the cataloguing data, with important page numbers. Never in the actual text, that irritates me. I used to keep slips of paper in the book, but it annoyed me when they got lost.

Bookmark or remembering the page. The other two would damage the book, and I can't stand that.

Both, although I am very selective in my Non-Fiction reading.

I try to finish a chapter, unless they're endless.

No, that could damage the book. I may have thrown the book I hated the most in the bin, but I've never actually thrown a book across a room.

No. I try to understand it from the context. If I'm not good enough to do that, I go back to studying the language :).

Adam Johnson - The Orphan Master's Son

I bought five in one go:
- The Island and The Return by Victoria Hislop
- Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale
- The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro
- The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

I read my nonfiction on the side, and I also do re-reads on the side. And I have a handbag book and a toilet book (both of which might be promoted when they're interesting enough).

In the morning before getting up. When I wake up two hours early I have my best reading time.

I used to love series; now I'm more into stand-alones. Preferably connected stand-alones :).

I love The Disappeared by Kim Echlin and The Disappeared by Gloria Whelan. I bought them together and would never have thought that both are that brilliant.
And everyone to whom I have ever given A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream by Ferenc Máté has loved it.

By genre. And then by appearance. I want my bookshelves to look pretty :).

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (dagny115) | 1 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? If I'm really hungry sure, but generally the stopping to eat in the middle of a sentence makes me lose focus.

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Hot black coffee or red wine/beer.

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I'm fine with writing in books, but I generally don't - like Christopher above, I usually decide later that i marked the wrong thing. Then I end up underlining half a page or something. And I don't like re-reading my old notes, because usually they're notes that were new to me at the time but second time through i already know.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Generally I dog-ear, although I do have one book rug that i use sometimes. I must be unique on this forum, I LOVE a beat-up, marked-in book. That book looks like it's been loved to me. I like that my bookshelves look like a library, not like a bookstore. :-)

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Generally fiction.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I've gotten better at just stopping anywhere. Sometimes I find that if I read to the end of the chapter, it gets really good and then I never end up going to sleep.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Nah, i've never been that mad at an author. Everyone has their point of view, some just aren't for me.

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Just about never. Sometimes if I can't get the context and it really bugs me.

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy for another book club. And loving it!

10. What is the last book you bought? I downloaded Anna Karenina for free on Kindle, does that count? Last book I actually purchased was a Spanish thesaurus (i'm living in Mexico) and before that, the Conn Iggulden's Genghis Khan trilogy.

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Generally just one. I tend to get so into books, I'm thinking about the story in all my free moments even when i'm not reading. That doesn't leave room for other books in my life. :-)

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? I read everywhere and anywhere. And everything in Mexico takes forever to get done, so I'm grateful to have something to read when I'm on buses, waiting at immigration, waiting in bank lines, etc.

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Both. Although sometimes I get bored with series if I'm trying to read them all in a row, so I need to break them up.

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? I don't recommend a lot of books because I like to read a lot of old classics and people always seem to be looking for contemporary stuff. But I've recommended Life of Pi a lot and I got my friend hooked on Phillippa Gregory.

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? I organize by how much I liked them, if that makes sense. The cream of the crop, my favorites, get a prominent eye-catching middle spot, books I didn't care as much for go to the outsides of the shelves. Although sometimes if a book is a huge hardcover it just has to go to the outsides by architectural default. :-)

message 35: by Nathania (new)

Nathania | 5 comments 1. no
2. coffee
3. not really
4. Dog ear
5. Both?
6. I can stop
7. no
8. not always
9. I am currently reading the ware against boys, the heart has its seasons, the word according to eve, mountains beyond mountains
10. the diving bell and butterfly
11. I read more than one book at a time
12.favorite place to read is in bed
13.I enjoy both
14.not really
15. By genre

message 36: by Madeline (last edited May 31, 2013 08:06PM) (new)

Madeline | 4 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
- no, never

- tea or black coffee

- I'm actually ok with the idea, but I normally don't do it except for textbooks

- used to do all of those things (sounds random, right? haha), but since there're many of books that I went back to read several times so I ended up ruin many of them by dog-ear and laying them flat open.. so now I just use a bookmark.

- both! when I was younger I love science fiction and thriller, but I've switched to arts/ culture/ historical stuff recently :-)

- depends. if the whole chapter is so fun and I really just can't let it go in between, I'll just need to stick with it 'til the end. it actually happened when I was reading 'Kafka on the shore' by Haruki Murakami. I was actually planning to read only a chapter before bedtime, but I ended up staying awake until 8am on the next day and finished the whole book XD

- no.. I'll just leave it somewhere and never go back to it, but normally I'm not gonna buy that kind of book from the start.

- if it's really important to the context and I still can't guess the meaning of it (and it keeps appearing in the story), yes, I'll look it up.

- dream of the red chamber by Cao Xueqin (but in English version, of course). I'm not gonna count scientific papers and textbooks since they're part of my study anyway.

- Pan Michael, An Historical Novel of Poland, the Ukraine, and Turkey by Henryk Sienkiewicz

- I've never tried reading many books at a time so I don't know if it works for me. I normally finish them one by one since I wanna grab all of the story details, really 'feel' the story, and let my imagination flies with it :-)

- I always have a book in my bag so I can read it anytime I want, but my favorite time would be just before bedtime.

- stand-alones. I always get tired of the series after I finished 2 out of the whole and so I stop reading them. the situation also applied to a movie..

- err.. no. I don't think I have my all-time favorite author. I do have some all-time favorite books, but most of them are from childhood or classical/historical novels, which are not the major stuff people seem to be looking for... (at least for my friends)

- by genre and then by how often I read and how much I like them :-)

message 37: by wfpoppet (last edited Jan 02, 2014 01:54PM) (new)

wfpoppet | 21 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Yes and no. Whenever I take a break to eat a meal or to have a snack, I usually grab a book to keep me entertained, but I don't necessarily have to have something to nibble while I read.

Tea, if anything.

I don't tend to digest that way, so I don't generally mark in a book. If anything, I'll use a peelable flag to mark something I want to revisit later. I purchased a journal last year in which I write quotes that really stand out.

Nothing, receipt, spare mail, magnetic bookmark...

Both, although I tend to gravitate to fiction.

Depends on the book and what I'm doing. I at least try to get to the end of a paragraph.

17. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
Never done it.

If I can't figure out it's meaning from the context, usually.

The Sign of Four, Beat to Quarters, The Bat

A Wizard of Earthsea

I usually have about 7 going at once. My mom's a one-at-a-time reader. Neither of us understands how the other does it.

Late morning/early afternoon, sunny room, comfy chair, legs tucked underneath

No preference. Although, if I start a series, I have a hard time not completing it, even if I don't much care for it. Very hard.

Unwind - there is one scene in particular that is so haunting it still weighs heavily on my mind.

Bookshelf is somewhat organized by genre, then size, but it's overflowed to the point of disorder.

message 38: by Anny (new)

Anny | 97 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No. It hinders my hands.

No preference, I usually don't drink while reading.

No. I like to keep my books spotless.

Bookmark. I like choosing bookmark with similar feel with the cover of the book, but if there isn't any then I use whatever bookmarks available.

Both. Although I prefer non-fiction, fiction is more readily available.

If I could, I'd read to the end of a chapter/section. If not I can stop anywhere.

No. I simply stop reading it.

No. I usually look it up sometimes after.

The Opium War by Julia Lovell

Dear Life: Stories, A Visit from the Goon Squad, The Cat's Table, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

One physical book for at home reading and one ebook for on the road.

Quiet place with comfy chair and no distraction.

I love series but I hate not knowing the ending, so I usually don't start reading a series until it's completed.

Not really. The closest one would be State of Wonder for its beautiful prose.

I organize my books by size, big to small, and group it by author if there are several books by the same author.

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Richey 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Sometimes but I try not to. I'd be snacking way to much

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Hot Green Tea

3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I don't like to mark in books at all

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Bookmarks- I have a few favorites I use over and over again

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both- I'm open to all genres except romance novels

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Yes- I try to finish chapters before stopping, in less I fall asleep before that- which happens frequently :)

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? No- I usually try to finish anyway

8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Yes- always

9. What are you currently reading? Incidents In The Life Of A Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs

10. What is the last book you bought? The House At Riverton by Kate Morton

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Try to stick with one at a time

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? No- anytime, anyplace

13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Prefer stand-alones but I'll read either

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? no

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? No organization whatsoever! haha

message 40: by Dyrgripen (new)

Dyrgripen 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? - no not really.
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? - mostly i drink tea, although i do love hot chocolate.
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? - i guess it would make sense to make notes, however i dont.
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? - i have several bookmarks, my favorites being a harry potter snitch and one of sherlock.
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? - mostly fiction
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? - i have to read to the end of a chapter, unless the chapters are too long.
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? - oh no, i would never damage a book in that way
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? - nope
9. What are you currently reading? - clockwork angel and of mice and men
10. What is the last book you bought? - ordered a bunch of them online, one of them being fangirl by rainbow rowell
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? - the only time i read more than one book is if i have to read something for school
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? - i love to read in my bed of sofa, mostly at night because then i can have my candles lit
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? - both
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? - nope
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? - i reorganize my bookshelf way too often, now i have them organized in different shelves depending on whether they're series or stand-alones

message 41: by Rachel (last edited Jan 30, 2014 07:15PM) (new)

Rachel Jones 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Not usually.
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Herbal tea or Diet Coke.
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Never! I copy notable passages into my own notebook.
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Dogear
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Nothing beats really great fiction, but I read non-fiction too.
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Anywhere.
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Nope.
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Most of the time.
9. What are you currently reading? Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown
10. What is the last book you bought? Autobiography by Morrissey
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? Usually a fiction and a non-fiction to switch off between.
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Anytime, and in bed.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? I'm not opposed to series in theory, but I'm not a fantasy, sci-fi or YA person, so I rarely read them.
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? The World According to Garp by John Irving
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Organized? Ha!

message 42: by Beverly (last edited Jan 31, 2014 05:32AM) (new)

Beverly | 151 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Sometimes chocolate

either tea or red wine

If print and NF, then highlight, if print and fiction, then sticky notes, if ebook then highlighting

bookmarks - collect then on my travels

both

prefer end of chapter but sometimes have no choice so can stop anywhere

never

an advantage when reading on kindle

Love, Anger, Madness: A Haitian Trilogy
The Wind Is Not a River
The Purity of Vengeance: A Department Q Novel
Slavery's Exiles: The Story of the American Maroons
North of Boston
Radiance of Tomorrow

The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks

MANY

once the sun goes down - in bed

either

Kindred
The Sparrow
Mama Day
Ernest J Gaines - any book

Order whats that! But in the process of updating spreadsheet of unread books on shelf and kindle

message 43: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 28, 2014 07:52AM) (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 6 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Anything that is easy to eat without paying attention, but I try not to. Reading causes mindless snacking.

2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Sparkling water all the way. I used to enjoy a glass of wine, but after one its too hard to concentrate.
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I don't really ever take notes, but if I find a quote I love then I might highlight it if theres something handy.

4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? I dog ear paperbacks when I'm on the train, if I'm in bed I just leave it open flat. If I have a hardback I use whatever is nearby for a bookmark.

5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both, I try to read them every other, but I often get stuck on fiction series.

6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? As I read on the train a lot I'm forever stopping in odd places.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? I've only ever thrown travel guides that give bad advice.
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? If I feel that knowing the definition will make or break my understanding of the book I'll look it up.
9. What are you currently reading? Three books right now: Winter of the World; Fatherland; and Witchfinders

10. What is the last book you bought? I've recently gone on a book buying spree. I've seriously bought about 12 in the last 2 weeks. Its a problem and I'm considering seeking help, or I might just ban myself from Amazon and spend more time reading.

11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I often have multiple books going at one time. If I reading a challenging classic or history book I often keep a lighter fiction book to read before I fall asleep. Sometimes I'm halfway through one book and I simply must read this other one so I'll put the first on hold.

12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Any time there is time. I read on the train, during my lunch break and before bed. When I'm at home I like to be in bed, lying down when I read.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? I love it all. But I can't stand waiting for the next in a series to be published. Therefore if I discover something several books in all space them out as much as I can so that the wait isn't so bad. It seems like cruel and unusual punishment. George R.R. MartinI'm looking at you!

14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Recently Bill Bryson; Eva Rice, and Ursula Hegi have been my favorites.

15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Organise, what does that mean? Right now I'm really short on space but that will change over the next few months. I'm planning on keeping my non-fiction books by author (although perhaps by genre) on the book case in the hall and fiction by author on the bookcase in the guest room. My to-read pile (which will eventually not consist of 20+ books (I only put books I own in this list)) will go on the self beneath my bedside table.

message 44: by Melissa H (last edited Feb 08, 2015 10:53PM) (new)

Melissa H | 40 comments Though this was interesting and fun!
-Yes, sometimes. If I'm home for any meals I read while eating. If it's just a random time then it depends on if I'm hungry. So basically anything is game.
- Coffee in the morning, water during the day, beer at night. Unless it's my day off then it's whatever!
3. Do you tend to mark books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
- Mark away! I don't mind marks, nor am I against marking my books. I love to go back and see my notes, to compare my initial reading with the new one.
- Whatever is handy. Not picky. I like my books to be loved, well-read, lived in.
5. Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
- Both!!! Although I am mainly a fiction reader.
- It all depends on the time mainly. If I am reading before work then I am on a time constraint, I have to stop wherever I am. But I generally try to finish the chapter.
7. Are you the person to throw a book across the room or on the floor of the author irritates you?
- Guilty of this. But only once, maybe.
- Almost always. I have dictionaries (English and foreign) next to me on my desk and if there is a cultural issue I'm not familiar with I will Google it.
-Ender's Game, The Elementary Particles, and The Well of Lost Plots
- The New York Stories of Edith Wharton, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Euclid's Window: The Story of Geometry from Parallel Lines to Hyperspace. I'm in the process of building another order at the moment.
11. Are you the person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
- I generally read at least 2-3 books at any given time.
- Any free time I have I spend reading. I also like to read after I get off from work, which is usually around 11:00 pm. My favorite place to read is in my study. I have a huge corner desk with a comfy chair that I park myself in. I also read at my kitchen table, although that is mainly a cookbook and cooking/fitness magazine area.
13. Do you prefer series or stand-alones?
- Either
- Not necessarily. I recommend Christopher Moore for those that love humor, Paul Auster for those that love a story, but it all depends on the person. Generally I give a list and hope they find something they like!
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc.?
- I usually organize by genre then author. My bookcases are overflowing right now so there is one short bookcase that has a bunch of random books, all fiction and all by author though. My non fiction is super sub-categorized because I have some fields, like astronomy or biology, that I like to simplify. Once I get new bookcases in then everything will be completely organized! Can't wait!

message 45: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 30 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

Anything bad for my health: cookies, crackers, and so on and so forth...

Tea.

I do underline a passage if I really like it. But only with a pencil.

Bookmarks, always.

Fiction. I can read some Non-Fiction at times, but very seldom.

I tend to read to the end of the chapter, if that is possible (i.e. if the chapter is not abnormally long).

Not literally, I would never do that, but I do it in my mind.

Only if I'm reading on my Kindle, because it is so much easier. If I'm reading a physical book I almost never do that.

Il meccanico delle rose and The Art of War.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death, The Light Fantastic, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, 44 Scotland Street and Inkheart.

I tend to read more than one at a time, but not two novels. For example, a novel and a Non-Fiction book, or a novel and a play...

I like reading in any situation and any time of the day, but maybe my favourite is before going to sleep.

Stand-alones.

Auto-da-Fé.

On my physical bookshelf, they are not organized :-) On my virtual bookshelf I organize them by genre and by author's country of origin.

Jeannine K Lockwood | 12 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? I usually have something at the ready. Favorite would be nuts.
2. What is your favorite drink while reading? Hot coffee or hor tea, depending on the time of day
3. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? Horrifies me! I'll note passages I like in my journal, or highlight on Kindle
4. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ear? Laying the book flat open? Don't harm the books please! Bookmark, always.
5. Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Both? Both
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I can stop anywhere.
7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? NO!!! I shudder at the thought.
8. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? On Kindle yes. Otherwise probably not.
9. What are you currently reading? Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
10. What is the last book you bought? Haiku the Sacred Art by Margaret McGhee
11. Are you a person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one? I usually have several going at once.
12. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? Whenever I can get some quiet. I have a swing chair inside, or the swing on the back porch that are favorite reading spots.
13. Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? Both
14. Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Madelyn L'Engle
15. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, author's last name, etc? Genre

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessjkim) 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Anything sweet actually. Chocolate cookies, brownies, strawberry cake, cheese cake...

Usually, I don't drink while I am reading (I might spill my drink on the book) but if I have to choose, then tea, like green or black tea.

I usually don't write in the books but I keep a separate journal, where I can write my thoughts out.

Laying the book flat open. Usually I forget where I placed my bookmark.

Both. But I lean more towards fiction.

I HAVE TO READ TO THE END OF A CHAPTER, or even to the end of the book. I hate it when I have to stop in the middle because I get to curious of what is going to happen next.

7. Are you a person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Not really. I just put the book back into the shelf until I am calm enough to continue reading.

Nope. I usually try to guess the meaning of the word from the context of the story or the sentence. My laziness prevents to look it up in a dictionary.

I am currently reading "Forgiving Our Fathers and Mothers" by Leslie Fields.

Ready Player One by Earnest Cline :)

I am a person who can only read one book at a time. I tried reading more than one once but I got mixed up with the plots. So I stopped doing it.

The library. Especially in the stacks,among other books, where nobody is there.

Both. But I reserve series book when I have more time (usually breaks), and stand-alones for like a weekend.

The Water Mirror by Kai Meyer. Or actually Kai Meyer in general.

I organize my books according to whether they are series or stand-alones. Also according to languages, too (German and English).

message 48: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 2 comments 1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Something easy to eat like crisps or nuts so I don't have to put my book down!

Coffee and tea-often alternate between the two if I am having a long reading session.

Not often, although I was so frustrated with a book I was reading recently that I took a pencil to it to start marking all that I thought was wrong! Otherwise just books for university.

A bookmark.

Both but at the moment fiction.

Normally to the end of chapter.

No, I get annoyed but don't throw books across the room.

Depends on if my not knowing it disrupts the flow of the story.

Mapp and Lucia by E.F Benson

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, had heard a radio adaptation of it and had to read it.

I try to read one at a time.

Sunday morning while having a nice cup of coffee.

I like both. It is nice though when you're enjoying a book and you know there is another one to come.

Daphne du Maurier.

They're not particularly organised!