Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

News & Information > It's A Celebration!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Diane U (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:32AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Yeah, our little Fans of Amish Fiction group has reached 300 members! This calls for a celebration! Originally, I was going to keep it small until all the wonderful Amish authors in this group have helped to turn this into a super celebration!

Here are the details:

On Friday, November 18, 2011, I will be turning 39 (OMG, I'm almost 40!) and you will be receiving the presents! To be entered into this drawing, please share with the group your most memorable birthday or birthday present. I will select the winning posts on my birthday using random.org. I will mail them anywhere so that everyone in the group can participate!

Here are the packages that I will be giving away, all of which have been generously donated by the authors and will be autographed (except for The Mercy, it is from me):

#1 - Tricia Goyer Package
Beside Still Waters
Along Wooded Paths: A Big Sky Novel

#2 - Vannetta Chapman Package
A Simple Amish Christmas
Falling to Pieces: A Quilt Shop Murder

#3 - New Authors Package
The Wounded Heart: An Amish Quilt Novel by Adina Senft
Patchwork Dreams by Laura V. Hilton

#4 - Kelly Long Package
An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County: Extended Edition
Knick knack from Lancaster

#5 - Try A Series Package
The Mercy byBeverly Lewis
Vanish in Plain Sight by Marta Perry
The Christmas Quilt by Patricia Davids
A Time for Peace by Barbara Cameron

# 6 - Ruth Reid Package
The Promise of an Angel
An angel Christmas Ornament

If you are an Amish author and I contacted you about make a donation to our giveaway and you would still like to participate, please post it here and I will add your books.

Happy 300 Members to Us and Happy 39th Birthday to Me!

message 2: by Diane U (last edited Nov 16, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Here is the list of eligible entries, in the order received:

1. Camille - Message #3
2. Laura -Message #5
3. Lorie - Message #12
4. Paula - Message #14
5. Rachel - Message #15
6. Barbara Ann - Message #17
7. Lisa - Message #18
8. Susan - Message #19
9. Kate - Message #23
10. Amber -Message #28
11. Kathy - Message #29
12. Mercedes - Message #37
13. Emily - Message #38
14. Tammy - Message #39
15. Ida - Message #39

message 3: by Camille (last edited Nov 10, 2011 12:05PM) (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments My most memorable present was probably when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I was at the age where you think that a big box means a super extra great present!!!

Well, to give a little extra background, my parents are divorced (something I was SUPER glad when happened) and I'm not the biggest fan of my father. I love the man, but he just doesn't get it. He doesn't understand being a parent at all, and probably shouldn't have had kids... I can give at least 4 example of why over the past few months alone, not the least of which was planning a memorial for my grandfather and then failing to inform or invite my brother and I, who are the only grandkids on that side...

Well, my mom had no say in this gift, it was solely an idea that he cooked up on his own...

So, I rip off the wrapping paper and my huge smile fell the second that I realized it was a new vacuum. He told me happy birthday and said, "Along with this vacuum, here is a list of new chores, where you get to vacuum at least twice a week." And no, it wasn't a joke, he wasn't kidding, and that was the only present from him...

So needless to say, that's the most memorable birthday present I ever got, and not really memorable in the good way... But hey, considering he forgot my birthday this year I guess at least that year he remembered it, even if I only did get a vacuum... ;)

It's something I just laugh about now. :)

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Camille, to be honest with you, that sucks (get it vacuum sucks - LOL)! :(

I'm glad that you are a strong enough person now to accept who your father is even with his faults. I hope you have had happier and more pleasant birthdays since then!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) | 92 comments That's kind of like mine, Camille. Except I didn't get a vacuum and a list of chores. My sister wanted a clock/radio. I didn't. My parents asked me and I told them no. My sister and I had birthdays close together -- and near Christmas -- so our presents were added under the tree after the Christmas gifts were opened. My sister was so excited to get the big box that we all knew held her clock radio. I was not so excited. My box was as big as hers. And I still didn't want one. When I opened mine, it was a radio/cassette player. I wasn't overly thrilled, but it was a gift I used for YEARS. I still remember that one more than any other. But...don't enter me into the contest. I have all the books up there. ;)

message 6: by Camille (last edited Nov 10, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Thanks Diane!

My mom is AMAZING, and my step-dad is really great too! But I never have lived with my step-dad as I left for college when I was 17, and I'm now 24, and they married when I was 23.

I've learned it's just easier to accept my dad as he is. It's just been a rough few months concerning him as he also flat out told me he doesn't want to come to my graduation (I get my graduate degree this May), planned my grandfather's memorial without telling us, told me days later after my grandfather had a stroke then told me via text message (?!?!) when he died. Then he didn't want to see me when I was in California (I live in Arizona) in September because it was "too much effort" and then he was going to do something after my birthday for my birthday in October (I was in California again) but then canceled dinner so he didn't have to miss Monday night football (?!?!).

Hahahah. I've decided from now on he'll get an invitation to stuff in the mail and if he shows, he shows, if not, then hey, well, my step-dad will be there, and he'd gladly walk me down the aisle!

message 7: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Laura, at least you got some use out of it! Don't you just love it when people ask you for ideas and then do what they want to anyway?

Are you sure that you don't want to be included in the contest? They would make wonderful Christmas presents!!!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) | 92 comments You're right, they would. Okay, go ahead and enter me. :)

message 9: by Diane U (last edited Nov 10, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I have two birthday stories. The first one was when I was turning 6 and in the first grade. School was canceled due to snow and I remembering crying because I was afraid that I was not going to get my birthday pencil from my teacher.

My second story was just last year when my hubby took me to Walt Disney World to spend my birthday week with Mickey Mouse. You see, I have the same birthday as Mickey. That was the release date of Steamboat Willie, the first cartoon that Mickey Mouse appeared in, that is your bit of useless knowledge for the day! LOL! On my actual birthday, I made my hubby wait in line in Mickey's Toon Town in the Magic Kingdom, so I could get a birthday picture with him on OUR birthday! I kept saying that I was 8 and not 38!!! :D

message 10: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments The older you get the MORE fun Disneyland and Disney World are in my opinion!

message 11: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Camille wrote: "The older you get the MORE fun Disneyland and Disney World are in my opinion!"

Definitely! WDW is a totally different place without children! Although I do turn into a little kid myself!!! LOL!

message 12: by Lorie (last edited Nov 10, 2011 02:06PM) (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
So, I turned 40 this year and I really can't think of one memorable birthday gift. I have an April birthday and all I remember growing up was that it rained on all my birthday parties and I remember having a party at Pizza Hut one year, but no gifts really stand out. But I do have one memorable gift but it was an anniversary gift.

About 2 years ago my husband gave me a gift certificate for a 1 night stay at a hotel. Since I am a SAHM, we have to watch every bit of money we spend. We don't even go on vacations. (We have staycations.:)) So, I was really excited! I could not remember ever getting a nightwith just the two of us without kids since the kids were born. So this was a big deal to me. It was worth every bit of the money we spent on it!!! I keep asking him if he's going to get that for me for Chritsmas lol.

So, Diane I kind of changed your original question, but I hope that still counts lol.

message 13: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Lorie, that works for an answer! What a treat that must have been for you!

message 14: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 119 comments We did not celebrate birthdays with gifts, Mom would make a special dessert and that was it, there were nine children and my folks didnt have lot of money. I guess most memorable was my 16th, I had 3 girlfriends in neighbors living close by and they called me over to one's home that day and had surprize party for me, first and only party just for me.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Can I enter? If not, I'll share my story anyway! ;) I knew what Diane was planning but I have to say, I didn't think our giveaway could get this big and exciting! Thank you for organising this, Diane. What a lovely way to share your birthday with us all :)

I think my most memorable birthday was my 7th birthday. Up until then, my mum had only allowed me to have one or two close friends over for a party, but this year I think I was allowed seven. We couldn't all fit around the table in the kitchen so my mum put some old sheets down on the carpet on the livingroom and we all sat around it and had a "picnic" - my birthday is in September, and it's not warm enough to have a real picnic at that time of year in Scotland! So we had our picnic in the livingroom, but you can imagine the mess that eight seven-year-olds can make, especially after they're hyped up on jelly (jello) and ice-cream... As such, the party became infamously known amongst everyone in the family as "The Spilling Juice Party"! There's a wonderful photograph of me and my friends all sitting around the edge of the picnic sheet and my two year old brother having crawled on to it, sitting slapbang in the middle of the sheet with all the damp patches on the sheet around him where the juice has been spilled and various plastic cups in disarray. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words! Amazingly, I think my brother was probably the only person who didn't make a mess that day...

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1460 comments Mod
My most memorable birthday was not that long ago... it was my 50th. I had never had a birthday party, ever. We'd have a family dinner and have presents, but no party with friends. Well, my hubby and daughters arranged a surprise party for me!! What a wonderful treat to be surrounded by so many of my friends.

I don't know why everyone dreads turning 50 but I thought it was incredible!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa conner (ptl44lmc) | 99 comments My most memorable r spending the weekend w/ my granboys in Orlando going to the Amusement parks, Disney,Epcot ect. The cherishable moments wont forget to how likes and dislike change every year of the boys as they grow. They were such wonderful fun weekends! But the best is when turned 50 2yrs ago hubby took me to the FL. Keys for 3 days w/ one day cruise. It was such a surprise and it is a whole different world and beautiful!!

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 78 comments I have the same birthday as Diane only I'll be 49 instead of 39--my most memorable birthday was when I turned 18. My girlfriends and I thought it would be a good idea to get some beer and go drink in the state park. You had to be 21 to drink at the time. Well, you can guess where I'm going with this right? We were arrested and I spent my 18th birthday in the back of a STATE police car and then jail!! LOL-they didn't actually arrest us, they only wanted to scare us and after an hour an a half, they let us out of our cells!! LOL-a birthday I will NEVER forget!! :)

message 19: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Susan wrote: "I have the same birthday as Diane only I'll be 49 instead of 39--my most memorable birthday was when I turned 18. My girlfriends and I thought it would be a good idea to get some beer and go drink ..."

Happy birthday to you too! Time in jail on your birthday is definately a memorable one.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 78 comments lol that's what I was thinking! Happy Birthday to you too Diane! I already got my present! A brand new IPad!! :) Now how can I find some free Amish books for it?? I have the Kindle and Nook app already downloaded!!

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Can I just say, I'm having so much fun reading everyone's birthday memories. It's interesting to see how some of the more memorable ones are from childhood and some far later in life. I wonder if my strongest birthday memory will have changed in 20 years?!

message 22: by Kate (last edited Nov 11, 2011 12:20PM) (new)

Kate (liahonagirl) How fun! I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses.
I think my most memorable birthday was in 2004, the year I turned 29. We had just started a long holiday (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to Bellevue, Washington by way of Kelowna (interior British Columbia) and Victoria, BC) in a what we THOUGHT was fairly reliable van.
The plan was that we'd drive from Edmonton to Kelowna (about 11 hours) on my birthday; and arrive in time to celebrate my birthday with a meal at our favourite restaurant with some dear friends who still lived there, before attending the CD release party of one of those friends. About 2 hours outside of Kelowna, the alternator on the van died. Completely kaput! Add this to the fact that the shops around town (and it was a SMALL town!) were closing up for the day, and we were PANICKED!
Thankfully, the auto shop took pity on us and was able to find an alternator for our '88 Voyager, and we were able to make it safely through the rest of our planned trip.
Except, of course, for the fact that I completely MISSED my birthday supper. (As far as I can recall, I didn't even eat supper that night.) And, I missed being surprised by some dear friends (my husband's best friend and his wife - who shares my birthday) who had come all the way up from Oregon to help celebrate the special day.
It was memorable, all right. Each year, if things don't go exactly the way I hope they will, at least I can console myself that it's not as bad as birthday #29! LOL

message 23: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Susan wrote: "lol that's what I was thinking! Happy Birthday to you too Diane! I already got my present! A brand new IPad!! :) Now how can I find some free Amish books for it?? I have the Kindle and Nook app alr..."

Susan, OMG, I got my present early too and it is an iPad2!!! Wow!

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 78 comments No way! Stop it.......seriously?

message 25: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Susan wrote: "lol that's what I was thinking! Happy Birthday to you too Diane! I already got my present! A brand new IPad!! :) Now how can I find some free Amish books for it?? I have the Kindle and Nook app alr..."

Bookmark this website

Blog.booksontheknob.org

Watch this website regularly for free Amish books. I'm not sure if there are any free ones right now but there are some for $3.99 or less. Also, do h have a blog? If so, sign up to review books on NetGalley. There are a bunch of Amish books available over there for free for a written review.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 78 comments I cant believe we share the same birthday and we both got IPads early!! LOL-that is sooo crazy!! Thank you for the website I'm going to look now. I'm on Netgalley but without a blog and sometimes I can get the books and sometimes I can't! Thank you for the info!!!

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (bakerswife10) My most memorable birthday was this past June. It was the first year in all my 35 years that everyone in my family were all getting along. Not only did I celebrate with my kids and husband but my dad and his wonderful girlfriend threw me a party at their house. We had a BBQ and cake. It was just a really nice relaxing and peaceful day. It was extra special to me because we almost lost my dad last December to a heart attack. Half his heart died, he now has a defibrillator and the Dr says he should be on a transplant list. We weren't speaking at the time of his heart attack but now we call each other 3 or 4 times a day. I'm so thankful that he pulled through his heart attack and we were able to put our differences behind us and have the best relationship a father and daughter could have. :)

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (finulhour) | 5 comments My most memorable birthday - I would have to say when I was in 2nd grade, my 8th birthday. My birthday is the day after Christmas and normally I always enjoy them. Afterall, it's one more day of celebration during the holidays. However, this particular year I had the chicken pox! It was not nice to be sick on both Christmas and my birthday. In fact, 2nd grade was the year I had every childhood disease - measles, mumps, & chicken pox. Now, of course, I feel sorry for my Mom who had to take care of me and my two sisters, who also came down with chicken pox during the holidays.

message 29: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Reid | 17 comments This sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to donate my book, The Promise of an Angel. I'll also donate an angel tree ornament.
Ruth

message 30: by Diane U (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:33AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments A Time for Peace by Barbara Cameron has been added to Try A Series package. Thanks for joining the celebration Barbara!

Also Ruth Reid has donated The Promise of an Angel and an angel Christmas ornament. Thanks Ruth!

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Diane U wrote: "A Time for Peace by Barbara Cameron has been added to Try A Series package. Thanks for joining the celebration Barbara!"

Diane, did you see Ruth Reid's comment? May need to start a new package for her offering. Thanks Ruth!

message 32: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Got it now!

message 33: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Thanks so much authors!!!! You all are so wonderful!

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 78 comments Yay!! This is sooo awesome!! Thank you to all the authors!! :)

message 35: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes Cordero (mercecordero) | 17 comments My most memorable birthday will have to be my Quinceañero (which is like a Sweet Sixteen, but at age 15). I wanted to celebrate with every one I know, so we invited all my family (of course), my whole church, and the entire neighborhood. To accommodate us all, we closed the street where we live, so it became a street Quinceañero party, with a band from church, and the people we know and love. It was big, fun and loud; everything I wanted. That same day, I received a stuffed Panda bear, who I named Oreo, and it became my bedtime companion until I got married 8 years ago. But I still have Oreo safe in my closet.
Now, I've always hated stuffed animals with a passion, but somehow that Panda stole my heart and became one of the most memorable birthday presents I have ever received.
Other memorable birthday present: a few years ago, my parents gave me "Essential Truths of the Christian Faith" by R.C. Sproul, for my birthday. Loved it! I very highly recommend it.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments My most memorable birthday was when I turned 18. I was sitting by myself at lunch. When a boy came over. And said "I don't like seeing people sitting by themselves". He saw my drawing of a birthday cake and added "especially when its their birthday". He took me over to a table full of people. That day I've found a new group of friends and I'm still friends with them today 8 years later.

message 37: by Patty (new)

Patty (tammycookblogsbooks) | 11 comments Hi! My most memorable birthday would have to be my 40th. I got up early to go with my 3 older children to help with bingo at the nursing home. The upstairs was totally black because all of the blinds were shut. I walked into the bathroom and opened the blind. Sunlight greeted me so wonderfully as the blind went up. God was telling me "Happy Birthday!" If that wasn't enough, my family planned a surprise b-day party for me that day. When we got home from the nursing home I wanted to eat lunch. My husband said I should wait a little bit to eat. After a few minutes family members started arriving with food for the celebration. It was a great day :)

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments Tammy wrote: "Hi! My most memorable birthday would have to be my 40th. I got up early to go with my 3 older children to help with bingo at the nursing home. The upstairs was totally black because all of the blin..."

What a beautiful story!

message 39: by Ida (new)

Ida Davis | 25 comments my most memorable birthday was when i turned 31 my hubby gave me a very special birthday he got my family together and surprise me with a diamond ring and a call from my brother who was in prison.

message 40: by Kara (new)

Kara at Ida: that birthday surprise is AMAZING...wow, very nice!

message 41: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I will picking the winners on Friday so please post your most memorable birthday experience soon! :)

message 42: by Diane U (last edited Nov 18, 2011 06:43AM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Happy Birthday to me! It's not as happy as it could be today. Please read about it in my post in Prayers!

Anyway, it's time to give away birthday presents! The winners are:

#1 - Tricia Goyer Package = Camille
#2 - Vannetta Chapman Package = Susan (Happy Birthday Susan!!!)
#3 - New Authors Package = Laura
#4 - Kelly Long Package = Rachel
#5 - Try A Series Package = Amber
#6 - Ruth Reid Package = Tammy

Please PM me with your mailing address. If you the winner of package #1, #4 or #6, your packages will be mailed from the author directly. I will sending out the others. I am still waiting for 3 more books to arrive to me before I can send them out. I will PM you when I mail them!

Thanks so much for sharing my birthday with you!!!

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 78 comments Happy Birthday Diane!! I can't believe I won! PMing you my info in a minute! Thanks so much!!

message 44: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 119 comments Congratulations to the winners and Happy Birthday Diane....

message 45: by Kara (new)

Kara Happy Birthday Diane and congrats ladies!!!!!

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Wow, so exciting! I don't think I've ever won a book in a competition before! And I've been wanting to read this book for ages :) Will definitely be sharing this book with other Amish fans over here in Bonnie Scotland.

Diane, thanks for organising such a wonderful event for celebrating the group's growth. Love having you as a moderator! I hope that you're able to enjoy your birthday despite the sadness you had earlier this week. Mega birthday hugs!

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Oh, and happy birthday Susan! What a big celebration we're having today :)

message 48: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Happy birthday Diane!!! And Susan!!!!

message 49: by Kara (new)

Kara Happy Birthday Susan, joy and blessings to you!

message 50: by Patty (new)

Patty (tammycookblogsbooks) | 11 comments Thanks for taking the time to put this together Diane. It's exciting to have won a book.

« previous 1