The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2011 Group Reads - Archives > Nomination for Winter/Yuletide 2011

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver We will be reading a short story for December so please recomend a winter themed short story you would like to read.

Nomintations will close on the 14th.

message 7: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments How about one of Edith Wharton's ghost stories for those chill winter nights? She is supposed to be a very good ghost storywriter and 'in tune with the supernatural'. There are a couple of ideas on this blog:-

http://fairweatherlewis.wordpress.com...

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (welachild) | 15 comments MadgeUK wrote: "How about one of Edith Wharton's ghost stories for those chill winter nights? She is supposed to be a very good ghost storywriter and 'in tune with the supernatural'. There are a couple of ideas ..."

I like the blurb on Mr. Jones but it was written in 1929, or was that the year it was published? Does this group strongly enforce the 1800-1910 time-frame?

message 9: by Melissa (new)

message 10: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder Melissa wrote: "MadgeUK wrote: "How about one of Edith Wharton's ghost stories for those chill winter nights? She is supposed to be a very good ghost storywriter and 'in tune with the supernatural'. There are a ..."

Aren't most of Edith Wharton's stories/books written after 1910?

message 11: by Silver (new)

Silver Emily wrote: "Melissa wrote: "MadgeUK wrote: "How about one of Edith Wharton's ghost stories for those chill winter nights? She is supposed to be a very good ghost storywriter and 'in tune with the supernatural..."

A hanful of her short stories including those in the Ghost Stories collection were published prior to 1910

message 12: by Granuaille (new)

Granuaille | 22 comments How about James Joyce 'The Dead' from his short story collection Dubliners. This is set in Dublin on the Epiphany - 6th January.
Although the book was published 1914, it was originally submitted 1905, so hopefully this fits in our time frame.

message 13: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder I recently read 'The Dead' and my book says Joyce completed the novella on 20 September 1907. Therefore, it seems to fit into the time frame.

message 14: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Melissa wrote: "The Gift of the Magi by O Henry"

Not a nomination, but a another variant of the Magi story that I like is Henry Van Dyke's "The Other Wise Man" (1896).

http://www.classicreader.com/book/593/1/

message 15: by Silver (new)

Silver The Poll is up. Please vote for the story you would like to read for December. The Poll will close on the 20th.

message 16: by Linda2 (last edited Nov 24, 2011 07:59AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments MadgeUK wrote: "How about one of Edith Wharton's ghost stories for those chill winter nights? She is supposed to be a very good ghost storywriter and 'in tune with the supernatural'. There are a couple of ideas ..."

Yes, good choice; we did one last year.

I was in the hospital and missed the vote, but I would have also voted for
[i]The Dead.[/i] Saw the incredible film a few years ago.

message 17: by Linda2 (last edited Nov 24, 2011 07:59AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments error

message 18: by Linda2 (last edited Nov 24, 2011 08:00AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments <1>The Dead

My formatting's not working any more. Grrr,....

message 19: by Lily (last edited Dec 27, 2011 08:09PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Rochelle wrote: "<1>The Dead

My formatting's not working any more. Grrr,...."

Somehow, your fingers picked up "1" (one) instead of "i" at the front end, Rochelle. (Before that, you saw the issue, I think, "<>" versus "[]".)

Even a pro like you (or my son, or myself?) loses our keys once in awhile. :(

message 20: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3742 comments Lily wrote: "Rochelle wrote: "The Dead

My formatting's not working any more. Grrr,...."

Somehow, your fingers picked up "1" (one) instead of "i" at the front end, Rochelle. (Before that, you saw the issue,..."

It's not keyboarding. I try to do my 2-finger excuse for typing as little as I can. I have an automatic formatting toolbar in Firefox, and I mistakenly set it for BBCode instead of HTML code. BBCode is used on some of my other forums.

Somewhere here, we did discuss The Dead.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.