Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Dragon series recommendations??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) I'm finishing up GA Aiken's Dragon Kin series now and have read Katie MacAlister's dragon series as well. I loved both series even though they're fairly different. I like the snark/humor in both of these. Never thought I'd fall for dragons but I gotta say they've totally won me over.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Not dragons but did you read Shelly Laurenston? G.A.'s other pen name? Those were so funny and hot

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) Yep. Love Shelly Laurenston's Pride series. That's how I ended up with Aiken's. I think that's the only reason anything dragon actually ended up in my house. Hadn't thought about them before that.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments I haven't read Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke but I heard that was good

message 5: by Lady Heather (new)

Lady Heather  (_ladyheather_) LOVED Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison !

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (sharearead) | 192 comments Anna wrote: "Yep. Love Shelly Laurenston's Pride series. That's how I ended up with Aiken's. I think that's the only reason anything dragon actually ended up in my house. Hadn't thought about them before that."

lol me too!

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Ah. Yes, I've heard that one mentioned before. I'll have to add that to the list :)

Hadn't seen Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke before. Looks a bit more serious. Anyone know from reading it?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I love this series starting with:
The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé

I've got them all in hardback and displayed with some of my dragon figurines/statues.

Many years ago I read all of this series and loved them. They are what hooked me on dragons. Need to re-read The Dragonriders of Pern (DragonFlight, DragonQuest, The White Dragon) by Anne McCaffrey

message 9: by Lora (new)

Lora Savchova (luxuria) | 313 comments When you say dragons I think of a) Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan and Vanish (Firelight, #2) by Sophie Jordan
and b) A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin
They can't be more different and I'm not sure if you'll like them but I recommend them anyway.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Lora, I've read Firelight and Vanish. I should have mentioned them. The Shana Abe series starting with The Smoke Thief have the same concept of shape-shifting but are more adult versions (and I don't mean over the top "adult"). Much better too but that's just my opinion of course. I quite loved them! LOL

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) Ah thanks ladies. Lots to look into. Lora I actually have the first couple in the Song of Ice and Fire series sitting in my TBR bookcase. How perfect is that? I'll have to start hunting down all the other series now :)

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) I love the Aikens and the Cooke series. Looking forward to getting recommendations on more Dragon books to tyr

message 13: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I have 175 books shelved on my paranormal-dragons shelf. I've sorted the list by my rating. Please feel free to browse and I'm sure you will find some series' that haven't already been mentioned.

Barbara's Dragon shelf

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments LOL I was going to say Eragon but it seemed just so obvious! And wish Amazon would get on the ball and get Inheritance to me! I need to bookmark your dragon shelf, Barbara.

message 15: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Anna wrote: "Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Ah. Yes, I've heard that one mentioned before. I'll have to add that to the list :)

Hadn't seen Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke before. Looks a bit more serious. ..."

The Dragonfire series is definitely more serious than Dragon Kin.

Christina (AKA Babbling) (babblingbookreviews) Barbara wrote: "I have 175 books shelved on my paranormal-dragons shelf. I've sorted the list by my rating. Please feel free to browse and I'm sure you will find some series' that haven't already been mentioned..."

May I "borrow" your link? ;-)

We'll be doing a dragon challenge over at SOS, in honor of 2012 being the Year of the Dragon. It's starts 23 January, but a few members have already started their lists. I've been linking personal shelves that might be helpful for others who will be participating. :D

message 17: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments Here are my recommended dragon books. Once Bitten Intact

I love the dragon lord series my Michelle Pillow.
The Barbarian Prince (Dragon Lords, #1) by Michelle M. Pillow The Perfect Prince (Dragon Lords, #2) by Michelle M. Pillow The Warrior Prince (Dragon Lords, #4) by Michelle M. Pillow The Dark Prince (Dragon Lords, #3) by Michelle M. Pillow

I do suggest reading Lords of Var First.

message 18: by Delaney (new)

Delaney  Burton (delaneyakafrog) | 347 comments I haven't read any dragon books but there are a few on here that I would really be interested in reading. Glad you posted this question.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 29, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

One of my favorite series: Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2) by Allyson James Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James

Snarky MC and lots of sexy dragons!

I haven't read this but they look good: Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1) by Allyson James

Right now I'm reading: The Last Slayer by Nadia Lee

So far so good :) It comes out in late December!=

message 20: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments I've really enjoyed Shana Abe's dragon series. It's historical and she has a great, lyrical writing style. Not heavy in violence. I've read Sophie Jordan's Firelight and enjoyed that, too.

message 21: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Annett Blair - Works Like Magick (Naked Dragon and Vampire Dragon)
Thea Harrison - The Elder Races (the leader is a dragon, others are gryphons thunderbird, etc)
Meagan Hatfield, Shadow of the Vampire (vampires vs dragons)
LA Banks, Crimson Moon series has some dragons in some of the later books, but they are very miner characters.

message 22: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Babbling AKA Christina wrote: "Barbara wrote: "I have 175 books shelved on my paranormal-dragons shelf. I've sorted the list by my rating. Please feel free to browse and I'm sure you will find some series' that haven't alread..."

That could explain what seems like a increase in dragon characters and books lately.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily 💋 (milylou) I love the books called Firelight and Vanish.

message 24: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments Dragon's Heat series by Tessa Adams:
Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1) by Tessa Adams Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2) by Tessa Adams Forbidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #3) by Tessa Adams

message 25: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 17 comments This I can help with :)

His Majesty's Dragon... and the whole Novik Temerarie series.
Dragonflight... And the whole Anne McCaffery dragon series.

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments These are really quick light read but i enjoyed the humour and some of the characters are wickedly good.
Katie Macailster -
Ashling Grey - Guardian Series
You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey Guardian, #2) by Katie MacAlister Light My Fire (Aisling Grey Guardian, #3) by Katie MacAlister Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey Guardian, #4) by Katie MacAlister

Silver Dragons
Playing With Fire (Silver Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons, #2) by Katie MacAlister Me and My Shadow (Silver Dragons, #3) by Katie MacAlister

Light Dragons
Love in the Time of Dragons (Light Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister The Unbearable Lightness of Dragons (Light Dragons, #2) by Katie MacAlister Sparks Fly (Light Dragons, #3) by Katie MacAlister (not out yet)
They are separate series but are interconnected.

message 27: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 17 comments Jenny wrote: "These are really quick light read but i enjoyed the humour and some of the characters are wickedly good.
Katie Macailster -
"

I gotta learn how to put the book cover pictures into the posts. Man, those look cool Jenny.

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) Jenny wrote: "These are really quick light read but i enjoyed the humour and some of the characters are wickedly good.
Katie Macailster -
Ashling Grey - Guardian Series
You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister [bookcover:..."

Loved that series. What got me started looking into dragon books :)

s. to put the book covers click "add book/author" put in the title you're looking for then at the bottom it says to add as link or cover and just pick cover and it does like the above :)

thanks everyone else for the new series titles! I'm working on getting them all. they all look so great!

message 29: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 315 comments I am seconding The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé and the rest of the series :) Terry sent the first two books to me and I fell in love. Awesome story!

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments I only learned how to put the covers in a little while ago. Just like Anna said right above the comment box hit add book/author. Sometime you may have to scan through some lists if the books have a comma name. The other thing if you can find the book but not the right cover check the other edition button and it will bring up all the different editions that are in release. Have fun reading all the books that you find.

message 31: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Lisa M wrote: "Dragon's Heat series by Tessa Adams:
Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1) by Tessa AdamsHidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2) by Tessa AdamsForbidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #3) by Tessa Adams"

just finished that series last week. Loved it. Really like the characters. Dragons seem to be the "it" thing lately.

message 32: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 17 comments Jeanine wrote: "I am seconding The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé and the rest of the series :) Terry sent the first two books to me and I fell in love. Awesome story!"

What I don't understand is why don't they just default it to book cover? :)

message 33: by Libby (new)

Libby (libberz) | 4 comments I think of Firelight by Sophie Jordan. Really love it!

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I picked up Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke this week because of them and LOVED it! Can't wait for the rest of the series to arrive :)

message 35: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I will second that Temeraire series. A really good series, and if you are into alternate history series, this is an excellent one.

His Majesty's DragonThrone of JadeBlack Powder WarEmpire of IvoryVictory of EaglesTongues of SerpentsCrucible Of Gold

message 36: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) I also recommend Anne McCaffrey. She has a huge series based on Pern & dragons. May want to start with Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey .

The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) by Andre Norton by Andre Norton & Mercedes Lackey.

The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1-3) by Steven Brust starts the Taltos series by Steven Brust. Great story, characters & intelligent humor.

Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James has dragons in it. =)

message 37: by Amanda (last edited Jan 16, 2012 07:37PM) (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 111 comments I have read some of the ones mentioned and loved them. But I don't think
Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu
was mentioned yet. I thought this book was good as well.

And
Lucinda, Darkly (Demon Princess Chronicles, #1) by Sunny Lucinda, Dangerously (Demon Princess Chronicles, #2) by Sunny
are pretty good as well.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I would start Anne McCaffrey if you are in a brick and mortar bookstore by opening one of her later books to the front pages; she lists a suggested order for reading. I'd start with the first dragonriders of pern trilogy Dragonflight, Dragonquest and then White Dragon followed by the harper hall trilogy (chronologically takes place after Dragonquest Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums. If you are reading via kindle, the first trilogy is in an omnibus edition The Dragonriders of Pern. Little bit of everything -- fantasy, some romance, science fiction, etc.

I also liked Aerie (Dragon Jousters, #4) by Mercedes Lackey series (less on the romance side of things and definitely more fantasy than paranormal)

Somewhat more of a paranormal voice (although fantasy as in set in another world completely) are the Chronicles of Elantra series (romance very slim) but good books so far:
Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra, #1) by Michelle Sagara West Cast In Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra, #2) by Michelle Sagara West Cast In Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, #3) by Michelle Sagara West Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra, #4) by Michelle Sagara West Cast in Silence (Chronicles of Elantra, #5) by Michelle Sagara West Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6) by Michelle Sagara West Cast in Ruin (Chronicles of Elantra, #7) by Michelle Sagara West

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Here's a free one (at least for now) -- not one I've read so have no clue about but was in Ereader News facebook post -- Dragon Blues free for kindle at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...

message 40: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookbarrio) | 13 comments I also read and liked The Princess's Dragon by Susan Trombley It's a light YA read.

message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie I highly recommend George RR Martin's series The Song of Ice and Fire. Phenomenal!!

message 42: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments I'm on book 4 of G A Aiken's The Dragon Kin series, and really like it. These dragons are so funny, and the author really brings out the family disfuntion of them. There's plenty of action & twists & romance/sex to go along with the laughs. Surprising for me is that the books take place in medievil times & I usually don't care for books in that time period, yet I really like the characters in this series.

Sillylittlefishey | 1024 comments I agree the Drakon series...I've only read the first one so far The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé but it was really good.

message 44: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Missy, if you are really enjoying the Dragon books, don't miss out on the books she writes under her other name. Shelly Laurenston--her Magnus Pack books and then the Pride books are great. Altho the Pride books are funnier. But the Magus books are actually the FIRST in both series, since occassionally one of the Magnus characters will show up in the Pride stories--and both series are set in the same world. Pack Challenge is the first of the Magnus books. And, frankly, its the darkest of her books (altho there are still plenty of passages that will have you rotflol). Then the first of the Pride books is The Mane Event is the first book in that series.

message 45: by Jaime (last edited Jan 27, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Jaime Rush (jaime_rush) | 122 comments Love Shana Abe's dragon series, and have read Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan . Then started to write them and stopped reading others' books so as not to be unduly influenced (or, gasp, find out your wonderfully original idea has already been used!).

I'd love to know why specifically you all like dragon characters. And don't like. I am having a lot of fun with them. But it's always good to know *why* people like dragons.

message 46: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Missy, if you are really enjoying the Dragon books, don't miss out on the books she writes under her other name. Shelly Laurenston--her Magnus Pack books and then the Pride books are great. Altho..."

Thanks for the info.
If I'd known they were set in the medievil times I may not have read them, but I'm glad I did. They were pretty funny (between the stabbing & killing). The family dynamics made the books.

message 47: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Missy, if you are really enjoying the Dragon books, don't miss out on the books she writes under her other name. Shelly Laurenston--her Magnus Pack books and then the Pride books are great. Altho..."

Not realizing it, but I have the Magnus Pack series on my check it out list. I'll add the other to it.

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) | 195 comments Anna wrote: "I'm finishing up GA Aiken's Dragon Kin series now and have read Katie MacAlister's dragon series as well. I loved both series even though they're fairly different. I like the snark/humor in both of..."

Did you read all of MacAlister's dragons and Aisling Grey? Just curious, I loved them all.

Anna's Herding Cats (herdingcats-burningsoup) Michelle wrote: "Anna wrote: "I'm finishing up GA Aiken's Dragon Kin series now and have read Katie MacAlister's dragon series as well. I loved both series even though they're fairly different. I like the snark/hum..."

I've read almost all of them. I still have the two "light dragon" books to go. Gabriel's books were my favorites but I really enjoyed the Aisling Grey ones too.

message 50: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 17 comments Anna wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Anna wrote: "I'm finishing up GA Aiken's Dragon Kin series now and have read Katie MacAlister's dragon series as well. I loved both series even though they're fairly different. I l..."

I like those too.

« previous 1