Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Challenges Archive > 2012 Harlequin Presents Readers Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Nov 10, 2011 06:40AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 2277 comments Mod
Did you notice that now the groups can have their own challenges? I started one for us.

Make a goal to read a certain number of Harlequin Presents in 2012 for yourself. You can sign up here:

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/8...

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 11, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments I'm in. ☺ Posted this link in RLftCI.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) I love this!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Great idea! I signed up for this challenge, and I'm looking forward to getting started.

message 5: by 3meg (new)

3meg | 361 comments I'm in...looking forward to getting started! I am also hoping to be better about reviewing the ones that I read...maybe that's expecting too much of myself, sigh!

message 6: by Vashti (new)

Vashti | 732 comments I am in.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Nov 12, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 2277 comments Mod
I'm glad to see you guys signing up. Cheering all of us on!

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (schmoozy) | 92 comments This is an awesome idea. I edited my challenge today though. The number I chose yesterday was a bit ambitious!

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana (dindongbell) Definitely want to do this so I signed up already. :D My number's not that high, but hopefully I'll exceed expectations, hehehe.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I set mine to 50 because I didn't do so great this year. I figure if I read that amount, that's pretty respectable for me.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) I set my goal as 100, which is around what I've read so far this year, but I imagine I'll read less HPs next year as I've started figuring out which new releases I can skip each month.

message 12: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Do good faith attempts that end up in the DNF pile count? I guess not, in which case my number will have to be in the low range :/.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 200 comments I'm in. my goal will be 100.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Lulu, I would guess you have to finish the book to count it toward your goal.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) Since HPs are only 200 or so pages, I think it's fair to say only books that are finished should be counted. I don't think I've ever DNF'ed an HP because I usually am interested enough to know the outcome to quickly skim to the end. (I've only been tempted to not finish two HPs -- Gray Quinn's Baby and Olivia and the Billionaire Cattle King.)

message 16: by Diana (new)

Diana (dindongbell) Around how many HP's are released in a year? I'm just curious to know .....

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee | 26 comments Including the Harlequin Presents Extra's there are 10 a month.

message 18: by Lemon (last edited Nov 15, 2011 11:34PM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Set my goal at 35 which includes only previously unread books (and excluding prior DNFs) that I actually read through and finish. Given my DNF rate with these books, that's a pretty good number, me thinks.

message 19: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Nice idea!
I am not sure yet, how many i can read next year, next to my other books.

I will think about it and the fill in a number!

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

You can do it, Lulu!

Kouk, glad you are participating.

message 21: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "You can do it, Lulu!

Kouk, glad you are participating."

I filled in 10!
I know it's not a lot but i also read a lot of other books.
But i really love the idea of doing all this with you!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I think that everyone should set their challenge at a number that works for them. 50 is sort of on average (or a little higher for me).

message 23: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I think that everyone should set their challenge at a number that works for them. 50 is sort of on average (or a little higher for me)."

50 is a nice number Danielle!
I am sure you'll be able to do that!

For 2011 i hope to read 100 books!
That includes everything i read this year.

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

You can do it, Kouk!

message 25: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "You can do it, Kouk!"

Thanks Danielle!

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I looked at my tracking thread, and I've only read 30 this year, so I will be challenging myself next year!

message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana (dindongbell) Thanks, Dee!

message 28: by Tracie (new)

Tracie (mom2teebee) | 45 comments I like this type of challenge. I'm aiming for 2 a month. I know that I'll probably get more than that it so if it looks like I'm ahead of my goal I'll adjust it up.

I generally do finish these books and have only had a couple be a DNF for me. One the heroine was really way too stupid to live and I couldn't take the torture after getting about 40% into it. I don't even remember the title.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

The good thing about HPs is that they are such quick reads, you can squeeze them in, if you have a couple of hours. That helps!

message 30: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Tracie wrote: "I like this type of challenge. I'm aiming for 2 a month. I know that I'll probably get more than that it so if it looks like I'm ahead of my goal I'll adjust it up.

I generally do finish these b..."

Welcome to the challenge Tracie!
Good luck on reaching your goal!

message 31: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments I've signed up for 100. I'm at about 83 right now for this year.

message 32: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
You can do it, Jacqueline!

message 33: by Bargainbooks (new)

Bargainbooks | 56 comments Doesn't matter if they're oldies right!?! Can't wait - got to find all my favorite angsty authors. Oh and do rereads count because I've been looking to reread Jacqueline Baird's Mistaken For A Mistress for the longest!

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

They can be any Harlequin Presents novels, new or old, Bargainbooks. I like to read the older ones too. And rereads count if you reread them in 2012.

message 35: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments I was wondering if books in foreign languages count?

Or do they have to be in English?

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

If they are Harlequin Presents novels, they count, even if they are in another language.

message 37: by Kouk (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "If they are Harlequin Presents novels, they count, even if they are in another language."

I looked them up and they are originally HP's, but in Dutch.

They are not Blaze or anything other than Harlequin Presents.

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

You're good to go then! Good idea!

message 39: by Kouk (last edited Feb 29, 2012 10:29AM) (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "You're good to go then! Good idea!"

Thanks Danielle!

I got a bunch laying around and it would be a waste not to read them.

It's been a while since i read Harlequin books, so i look forward to read them!

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Have fun, Kouk. I'm just impressed that you can read books in more than one language. I know Spanish, but my reading comprehension is not great overall.

I'm learning Russian, which is a lot of fun. I think it will be years and a miracle if I can learn to read a HP in Cyrillic. :)

message 41: by Kouk (last edited Feb 29, 2012 10:43AM) (new)

Kouk | 201 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Have fun, Kouk. I'm just impressed that you can read books in more than one language. I know Spanish, but my reading comprehension is not great overall.

I'm learning Russian, which is a lot of f..."

Awesome that you are learning Russian and that you know Spanish!

I can read in 3 languages.
Frisian, Dutch & English, and i know a bit of German, but i don't use it much.

In school we had to learn 2 foreign languages.
That was English & German.
I never got Spanish.

Good luck on your Russian!

message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks, Kouk.

I took Spanish in high school (4 yrs), and 1.5 years in college. I didn't get more fluent until College. I started working in communities where Spanish is spoken a lot, and so my comprehension is a lot better. I speak slower because I'm nervous, but I have been told I have a good accent.

Russian is an interesting language. It's tough at first learning the Cyrillic alphabet, but now, I can read it pretty well, although I don't know all the words in English. I have been drawn to Russian culture for a while, and one day I decided to learn it. I'm glad I decided to pick it up.

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) I minored in Russian language and hoped that one day I'd be able to read a Russian novel in it's original language. Unfortunately, I'm much better at grammar than vocabulary when learning a new language, so I don't think I'll ever have the vocab skills to read a book in another language (unless it's a beginning reader book!).

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I think I'd have to find a Russian or Spanish picture book to be able to comprehend it well. :)

I do love Russian lit, but translated. :)

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) | 62 comments I have a goal to read 50 this year. I haven't read that many HPs but I've really liked the ones I've read so far and want to read more. I bought a few on my Kindle, and I have a couple old ones in paperback.

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

That's my goal too, Rebecca. I figure if you read one a week, you can meet it, more or less.

message 47: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments I only have three of my 24 book goal, yet GoodReads says I'm right on track. Huh? Did they lighten up on their nagging "encouragement"?

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

If you read two a month, then you're meeting your goal, and it's it's just now March, then you're more or less on track.

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (schmoozy) | 92 comments I've been away for a bit and was just wondering why I can no longer see this challenge on the HP's home page?

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Mar 12, 2012 09:33PM) (new)

Click on more challenges, and it will come up, Sheila.

« previous 1